joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Spring 2013

heavy_wx

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today had weather I typically associate with Halloween.

Cold blustery northwest wind, scattered flurries.

Spring?  When?

There's probably not too much difference between normal temperatures on halloween and April 20th in most areas.  Sometime in late April/October is exactly midway between winter/summer and summer/winter.  For Buffalo for example, normal temperatures for October 31 are 54/40, and for April 20 they are 58/40.

There's probably not too much difference between normal temperatures on halloween and April 20th in most areas.  Sometime in late April/October is exactly midway between winter/summer and summer/winter.  For Buffalo for example, normal temperatures for October 31 are 54/40, and for April 20 they are 58/40.

Those are the averages that means 50% of the time temperatures today would be around 60-65 instead of highs in the mid 30s which is 30 degrees below normal. ^_^

Those are the averages that means 50% of the time temperatures today would be around 60-65 instead of highs in the mid 30s which is 30 degrees below normal. ^_^

I do remember it snowing last year on April 23rd and there were few flurries in May 2010. Usually it doesn't get consistently nice (most days at least in the 70s) for much of Upstate NY until late May to mid June.

I do remember it snowing last year on April 23rd and there were few flurries in May 2010. Usually it doesn't get consistently nice (most days at least in the 70s) for much of Upstate NY until late May to mid June.

We get consistent nice weather here from Mid/Late April until Mid December the last 5 or so years with the last 2 years being extremely warm the entire April-December time period. We had 4 straight 80 degree days in mid March last year. The winters in Buffalo have been warm as well, I don't think I can remember not seeing the ground for more than a week at at time. 2-4 inch snowfalls followed by warmth nearly every storm.

Oh I definitely agree that yesterday's temperatures were below normal.  I'm just saying it is no more unusual to have those temperatures that in would be on Halloween.  In 2006, we had over a foot of snow prior to the middle of October.  The equivalent in the spring would be to have a foot of snow the last week in April.  That would be highly unusual like the October 2006 storm was.  But yesterday, with highs in the 30s and a few snow showers, is nothing out of the ordinary for April.  Two days earlier on April 18, Buffalo set a record high for the date with 82.  That is a lot more unusual.  Yesterday's record low for Buffalo is 20 (in 1926).  Yesterday's actual low was 11 degrees warmer than that at 31.  The low this morning through 7AM is 29.

Also, even with everyone saying how wintery March and April have been after a late start, snowfall totals are still below normal for these two months:

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR                                                  NORMAL
SNOWFALL (IN)  YESTERDAY        T             5.5  1901   0.1   -0.1      0.0  MONTH TO DATE    0.3                       2.5   -2.2       T  SINCE MAR 1     10.1                      15.4   -5.3      1.5  SINCE JUL 1     58.8                      94.2  -35.4     35.7  SNOW DEPTH       0

Oh I definitely agree that yesterday's temperatures were below normal. I'm just saying it is no more unusual to have those temperatures that in would be on Halloween. In 2006, we had over a foot of snow prior to the middle of October. The equivalent in the spring would be to have a foot of snow the last week in April. That would be highly unusual like the October 2006 storm was. But yesterday, with highs in the 30s and a few snow showers, is nothing out of the ordinary for April. Two days earlier on April 18, Buffalo set a record high for the date with 82. That is a lot more unusual. Yesterday's record low for Buffalo is 20 (in 1926). Yesterday's actual low was 11 degrees warmer than that at 31. The low this morning through 7AM is 29.

Also, even with everyone saying how wintery March and April have been after a late start, snowfall totals are still below normal for these two months:

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
                VALUE   (LST)  VALUE       VALUE  FROM      YEAR
                                                  NORMAL
SNOWFALL (IN)
  YESTERDAY        T             5.5  1901   0.1   -0.1      0.0
  MONTH TO DATE    0.3                       2.5   -2.2       T
  SINCE MAR 1     10.1                      15.4   -5.3      1.5
  SINCE JUL 1     58.8                      94.2  -35.4     35.7
  SNOW DEPTH       0
landed up with 82" on the season here on OP. Do you keep any stats?

Yeah I meant it in more of a gestalt sort of way.

It's a classic late October/November day that you see here:  Cold front passage, gusty NW winds, lead gray skies and spitting flurries.

landed up with 82" on the season here on OP. Do you keep any stats?

I don't keep my own measurements (except for temperature and barometer).

Orchard Park has had more snowfall than Buffalo, but of course they average more as well.  82 inches is low even for Buffalo. 

I'd give this past winter a C- in the local area.  Below normal snowfall, and the majority of the snow that fell was late in the season.  However, there were a few decent snow storms, and sunshine not so scarce as in many winters.  So below average, but not by much.  I would give the previous winter a D, and last summer gets a D- in my gradebook due to the lack of thunderstorms, significant drought, and well above normal temperatures.  I doubt Buffalo will ever get an F on snowfall, since even exceptional winters such as 2011-2012 get at least few snow events here.  I can imagine an F on thunderstorms though.  2001 was close in the summer season proper but was probably a D or D- overall due to a few storms in the spring/fall.  I would say the best years for thunderstorms since I've lived here (2001) have been 2008 (a C+) and 2009 (a C).

Confirmed EF-1 tornado just north of the PA/NY border to the east of Binghamton...interestingly enough it was two counties north of the Tornado Watch:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...UPDATED  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON, NY  
954 AM EDT MON APR 22 2013  

...TORNADO CONFIRMED FROM 4 SSE BAINBRIDGE IN CHENANGO COUNTY TO 3  
S SIDNEY IN DELAWARE COUNTY NEW YORK...  

UPDATED DATA ON LAT/LON POINTS AND WIDTH.   

LOCATION...FROM 4 SSE BAINBRIDGE IN CHENANGO COUNTY TO 3 S SIDNEY  
IN DELAWARE COUNTY NEW YORK   
DATE...APRIL 19 2013   
ESTIMATED TIME...753 PM TO 758 PM EDT   
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF1   
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...110 MPH   
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...200 YARDS  
YARDS PATH LENGTH...3.2 MILES   
BEGINNING LAT/LON...42.2481N / 75.4516W  
ENDING LAT/LON...42.2674N / 75.3939W  
* FATALITIES...0  
* INJURIES...0  

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO  
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN NWS  
STORM DATA.  

..SUMMARY  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BINGHAMTON, NY HAS CONFIRMED THAT  
A TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN ABOUT 4 MILES SSE OF BAINBRIDGE IN CHENANGO  
COUNTY...TRACKED NORTHEAST ABOUT 3.2 MILES...AND THEN ENDED ABOUT 3  
MILES SOUTH OF SIDNEY IN DELAWARE COUNTY NEW YORK FROM 753 PM EDT  
TO 758 PM EDT ON APRIL 19 2013.  

THE TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN BETWEEN INTERSTATE 88 AND HIGHWAY  
206...ON EAST AFTON ROAD...WHERE 2 POWER POLES WERE SNAPPED AND A CAR  
WAS DESTROYED BY A LARGE TREE BRANCH. ANOTHER VEHICLE WAS ALSO  
DAMAGED. SEVERAL TREES WERE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. A BARN HAD MINOR  
ROOF DAMAGE. THE TORNADO CONTINUED NORTHEAST AND CROSSED HIGHWAY  
206...WHERE A FARM EQUIPMENT BUILDING AND A MOBILE HOME WERE  
HEAVILY DAMAGED...AND A STORAGE TRAILER WAS DESTROYED. OTHER NEARBY  
HOMES HAD MINOR DAMAGE...AND A CARPORT WAS LIFTED AND MOVED 75  
FEET. FARTHER DOWN ITS PATH...THE TORNADO INTENSIFIED TO A HIGH  
END EF1 STRENGTH WHILE TRAVELING IN THE VICINITY OF HOUCK DRIVE.  
IN THIS AREA IT UPROOTED OR SNAPPED MANY 1 TO 2 FOOT DIAMETER  
TREES ALONG ITS PATH...BOTH HARDWOODS /MAPLES/ AND SOFTWOODS   
/PINES/...WITH THE LARGEST MORE THAN 3 FEET WIDE. IT ALSO CAUSED  
STRUCTURAL DAMAGE TO A SINGLE FAMILY RESIDENCE AND GARAGE...WHILE  
TRANSPORTING A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF DEBRIS A HUNDRED YARDS OR  
MORE. THE TORNADO THEN CROSSED INTO DELAWARE COUNTY...DOWNING  
SEVERAL MORE TREES ON SOME PROPERTIES ALONG HIGHWAY 8 BEFORE  
DISSIPATING. 

Attached is a 0-3km SRH 5 hour from the HRRR near the time of the tornado. Also, bulk shear values were between 50-60kt in the vicinity. Very little instability was in place, but that didn't matter...
post-533-0-30719500-1366643655_thumb.png

Archived