Newest Member
    joxey
February 15-MOrch possible wintry threats

tombo82685

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is, an obs thread will be started tomorrow probably

Whomever does, start it with a sub title of "maybe someone can get 3".  "Maybe 2"" on today's OBS thread was good for 6+ today in some places so what would "maybe 3"" be good for, a foot?  :)

I'm seeing a multipart precip event if you try to put together a consensus of the models.  A "thump" overnite tomorrow that looks to be where our area would get the bulk of our accumulations.  Then light snow during the daylight hours that will likely be difficult to accumulate on roadways would be my guess.  Followed by a Norlun event later in the day that looks to be better for North Jersey/NYC/LI.

A picture tells a thousand words as far as our snow potential over the next few weeks.

610temp.new.gifFew weeks??? That is a 6-10 day map. We have chances for the upcoming week before a warm-up,  and it looks to be brief, then back to at least seasonal if not below at times. There will be chances second half of the month.

A picture tells a thousand words as far as our snow potential over the next few weeks.

610temp.new.gifFew weeks??? That is a 6-10 day map. We have chances for the upcoming week before a warm-up,  and it looks to be brief, then back to at least seasonal if not below at times. There will be chances second half of the month.

Yes, a few weeks. We all know that we have the chance of a clipper or two early this week that may drop a few inches. The period I specified begins after the clipper potential (6-10 days from now). If it will make you happy, here is the 8-14 day forecast which continues well above normal.

814temp.new.gif

isnt that weather advisory that has been issued for Central Jersey contingent on at least 3 inches...wow thats quite bullish....3-4 inch amounts...what is their reason for thinking this much snow will fall?

It's pretty much contingent on the formation of the inverted trough and high ratio's, 20 to 1.

I dont think winter is over at all. While the day 7-8 storm should def cut the long range ensembles and OP still offer some potential from mid month on. While the AO looks to be up in the air Im starting to see a pretty strong +PNA. Im personally a bigger fan of late feb/march snowstorms than others. I hate cold unless its snowing, The snow doesnt stick around as long which I dont mind. Plus the wave lengths change and closed off lows (my fav) are possible.

I mentioned this to HM earlier today, but I think the day 8 storm may have a stalled front which might allow for a secondary low to form. You can see the possibility showing up on the ensembles. Todays EURO actually showed this happening but the initial front stalled too far west.

I believe a storm which developed a secondary storm from a stalled front was March 2009 though Im not home so cant check it exactly.

Yes, a few weeks. We all know that we have the chance of a clipper or two early this week that may drop a few inches. The period I specified begins after the clipper potential (6-10 days from now). If it will make you happy, here is the 8-14 day forecast which continues well above normal.

814temp.new.gif

Those maps together are valid for the period 2/8 through 2/16. That period is not a few weeks by my math lol. And there are some indications that the warm-up may be short lived, Those outlooks are continuously "adjustable". Not etched in stone.

Archived