• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 15-MOrch possible wintry threats

tombo82685

ask anyone if they would rather have 60 degree weather or 3 lgt snow events within 4 days. I think they would take the latter regardless if it "may" only be 1-3 inches. I know i would.

To be honest, three light snow events around rush hour are arguably the biggest pains in the a-- to deal with.  Would rather it 60 degrees than have 3 commutes that take forever...and I think most people who commute more than to/from school or down the street would probably agree.

If you're talking one or two large storms that *could* or perhaps even do bring snow, I'd much rather have a stormy pattern like that.  At least the potential of a larger system, even if it ends up being 35 and rain, is more entertaining even if the result sucks.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If stormier patterns are defined as a family of weak waves, vorts, and clippers, one or two of which *may* pop above 2-3" lollipops, our standards are softening badly.

My standards are pretty low after the past year and a half. Not expecting a blockbuster in next week or so but there is a shot at something half decent since we do not have a crushing PV or a SE ridge so there is room for these systems to be a little stronger than currently modeled.. Storms will get more potent past 7 days as Pacific opens up. It still may not do us any good but still gives us a better shot than earlier this winter.

To be honest, three light snow events around rush hour are arguably the biggest pains in the a-- to deal with.  Would rather it 60 degrees than have 3 commutes that take forever...and I think most people who commute more than to/from school or down the street would probably agree.

If you're talking one or two large storms that *could* or perhaps even do bring snow, I'd much rather have a stormy pattern like that.  At least the potential of a larger system, even if it ends up being 35 and rain, is more entertaining even if the result sucks.

i agree the rush hr traffic and what not suck I have a longer drive than you into work i know what it can be like on 422. I was just merely commenting on after what happened last winter. I think people wouldn't mind a couple lgt snow events, if a big one doesn't materialize.

i agree the rush hr traffic and what not suck I have a longer drive than you into work i know what it can be like on 422. I was just merely commenting on after what happened last winter. I think people wouldn't mind a couple lgt snow events, if a big one doesn't materialize.

If they're Sunday and overnight type stuff, I really could care less. ;)

(and yeah, my commute to my office is short and it doesn't get impacted with or without snow...but I also travel a decent amount locally and into the city for my job...that's when I prefer snow-free).

Interesting look at the RAP for tonight. Nice snow burst from the Eastern Shore of MD to Dover to Atlantic city. RAP trying to hone in on a 2-3 inch band from 6am-9am.  :snowing:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=ruc&area=namer&param=precip_p01&cycle=20ℑ=ruc%2F20%2Fruc_namer_017_precip_p01.gif

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=ruc&area=namer&param=precip_p01&cycle=20ℑ=ruc%2F20%2Fruc_namer_018_precip_p01.gif

However I think buyer beware overnight with mesoscale models. HRRR one night a few years ago had one form right over where I was, showing 6 inches in 4 hrs. Nothing fell.  :axe:

I'll never forget where the HRRR nailed the first part of the Jan 2011 Blizzard when all models were showing us getting maybe 1-2" from the first batch and the HRRR kept on insisting we get 4-5" but everyone ignored it. Woke up to 6" on the ground.

Friday storm (worthy of an OBS thread on its own?) - 21Z RUC with a .47 bullseye Atlantic County/Cape May County NJ for the 3 hour period ending 15Z tomorrow, so that would put the heaviest precip from 8 - 11 am.  Ain't model hugging grand when it's IYBY?

I don't see why not, make one. Definitely think there will be a ribbon of an inch or 2 south of the city.

Huh? the euro still gives us precip on sunday. Granted its not over .1 but their is precip.

yeah, my bad. Maybe snow showers? Didn't see any in the 6hr increments, forgot you have to go through the accum qpf to see the in between/lighter precip.

The "HM" storm is on the euro, its just ugly....

yeah, my bad. Maybe snow showers? Didn't see any in the 6hr increments, forgot you have to go through the accum qpf to see the in between/lighter precip.

The "HM" storm is on the euro, its just ugly....

There is a nice POS PNA during the storm. The issue is the euro just flushes out the pv. Whereas the gfs had it further south. Still wouldn't worry about it being 10 days away.

There is a nice POS PNA during the storm. The issue is the euro just flushes out the pv. Whereas the gfs had it further south. Still wouldn't worry about it being 10 days away.

Yes exactly; I just said the same thing over in the MA forum. The ECMWF is entirely different with the PV. If it is right, this storm has no chance of bringing snow and we would have to wait until the front goes through first.

ok well lets turn it around then. Say it was summer time, would you rather have 80+ temps with sun, or 50 and drizzle.

LOL...80+ and sun of course. But I still like the 50's in the winter months. Can't help it I guess. I just hate having to wear layers of clothing every day just to do my job. To me, it's very uncomfortable.

Archived