joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 15-MOrch possible wintry threats

tombo82685

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I note enthusiasm and depression over model runs, run to tun, model to model.

I don't think we should throw away weather sense for biased models, none of which have any consensus.

Smart money on some event taking place based on multiple shortwaves, with ridging to the east, means we get "something".

Best shortwave which sets up to the south is Sunday, and I'll put 2-4" on this event for Philly. I'm being intentionally conservative, as this one could surprise if it sets up closer to the coast.

Nice changes overnight for a stronger system on sinday. No matter what the outcome here gives us a much better shot at following systems.

Its good to see as HM said a couple of days ago that some of the forcing is coming from the Pacific.  Hard to see a shut out over the next couple of systems.  Conversely, may be difficult to put up widespread crooked numbers.

Its good to see as HM said a couple of days ago that some of the forcing is coming from the Pacific.  Hard to see a shut out over the next couple of systems.  Conversely, may be difficult to put up widespread crooked numbers.

We need southern stream involvement. The northern stream storms are going to be tough unless one digs under us. The euro has majority of them tracking over us or just to our south, which favors nyc on northeast.

NAM is way out of its range ,but so far healthy precip totals for Sunday.

nam_namer_084_precip_p48.gif

but do to the low track, its snow to rain for philly and surrounding burbs on south. Its hard to get a snow event when you have southerly winds and storm passing to your north. Need the secondary to form faster or further south or primary come south or die faster.

We need southern stream involvement. The northern stream storms are going to be tough unless one digs under us. The euro has majority of them tracking over us or just to our south, which favors nyc on northeast.

What the southern stream needs is some deer antler spray.  :whistle:  Looks like the kind of scenario where elevation would do ok, other less fortunate may see more wetish snow (not 30:1 with this one).  Surface forecast temps at this temporal distance skill-wise are so-so.  Hard to get it to rain with thicknesses less than 528 so ptype might not be the issue, sticking maybe.

Started this last night on being bullish for Sunday, though I admit there are equal reasons to dismiss the chances. Everyone has stated most of them already, but I'm relying on the second shortwave in the wagon train to dig farther south than currently modeled.

I know I'm new here, not a Pro Met, but I've been successful as the folk in the NYC region know, from my ten years living in NYC. Incredible, but after running there yesterday, for a 15 minute coffee at "Starbucks", for a business connection, I'm going back there again in an hour for meeting two, playing the networking game, bringing together disparate on the surface parties, to a possible "marriage" of joint interests.

It seems I can't maintain escape velocity to avoid NYC.

Anyway, it is Super Bowl Sunday, so it won't be a total loss if I'm wrong, and better to have tried and lost ( forecasting ) , than never to have tried at all.

Hope everyone enjoys their day!

What the southern stream needs is some deer antler spray.  :whistle:  Looks like the kind of scenario where elevation would do ok, other less fortunate may see more wetish snow (not 30:1 with this one).  Surface forecast temps at this temporal distance skill-wise are so-so.  Hard to get it to rain with thicknesses less than 528 so ptype might not be the issue, sticking maybe.

If it digs far enough south we'll be OK. Again even if its marginal here a bombing low near NE will help us out down the road.

Archived