joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
grading the winter of 2012-13 HALF WAY

thunderbolt

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thus far I would say D ... Think we were all hopeful that we would see a bit more snow by this time as compared to last year.  The bottom line is that we are sitting at 4" at the Philadelphia International Airport which is exactly where we were this time last year in terms of snow.

As we look into the future I do not see anything that screams to me monster snowstorm and I think looking at the PNA and especially NAO things should just keep moving along with temps near normal... I don't see how at this point we pick up much more than say 10" in the Philadelphia area for February.......

Thus far I would say D ... Think we were all hopeful that we would see a bit more snow by this time as compared to last year.  The bottom line is that we are sitting at 4" at the Philadelphia International Airport which is exactly where we were this time last year in terms of snow.

As we look into the future I do not see anything that screams to me monster snowstorm and I think looking at the PNA and especially NAO things should just keep moving along with temps near normal... I don't see how at this point we pick up much more than say 10" in the Philadelphia area for February.......

Ok it hasnt been pretty so far, but the 4" total was for all of last winter at PHL.  Last year to date we were at 2.8".  We dont have a climate site in the PHL PA suburbs, but I would imagine they are close to normal for snowfall to date. 

B-  here in NW Chester County for the following reasons:

- Current Snowfall for the season is 13.7" 103% of normal to date - on our way to an above average season in the 35" range

- A cold November (-3.3 degrees vs average) along with a 4.5" snowstorm (any snow in November is a surprise -normal here in Chesco is 1.2") 

- Very warm December but saved again by above average snowfall (7.0" vs normal of 5.4") - thanks to 3 events Christmas week including another 4" event on the 29th and of course a snowfall on Christmas Eve itself (first since 1966 - extra points for this!)

- January only running +1.3 above normal temps despite the early warmth - in fact the cold of the last week has been much more impressive than both the earlier January warmth and December- as in both December and January only 3 days were 10+ on temps vs. normal while today mark's our 5th straight day with double digit BELOW normal temps

Oh and of course a big F for JB on his December and January forecast.....but no thoughts of giving up my subscription - well worth the price IMHO

Tell ya what, you pay me half of what you pay him, and me and my snow globe will give you worse forecast??!! (Hahaha jk buddy!)

C-.  Above normal temps except for this recent arctic blast, which was decent but not THAT impressive.  Still way better and longer lasting than anything last year.  Below normal snowfall (officially 8.4'' in New Brunswick, and around 9'' at home in Bridgewater), but not atrocious and certainly more snow than last winter.  Overall a little disappointing considering the expectations going in and the promising start, but still much better than last year.  At least we have had storms to track and a fair number of events that have given us SOMETHING.

Just looking at the overall 

If I can count Sandy and the following nor'easter plus the Christmas Eve snow plus golf played in December and January minus the lack of a significant snowfall during the cold snap and the great learning experience in the medium -long range thread - a B+ grade.for the last three months. Of course I look at it a little differently having a course membership ;) .

Archived