• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
grading the winter of 2012-13 HALF WAY

thunderbolt

2001 and 2004 are definitely borderline B+ A years. I left those out since they both failed to exceed average snowfall by 10". It's one my silly criteria for an A season although 2004 was extremely close and the Dec 5-6th long duration 16" event is also one of my top 5 storms due to its duration with 40 - 45dbz echoes which dumped 11" in like three hours.

What did you record in 03-04? I had 43" which was definitely an A winter. The early Dec storm produced 18" IMBY.

2000-01 was 38", and 2004-05 was 47" for me.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad thing is that ABE's official number is less than my parents' unofficial TTN number...  16.9" vs 17.5".

Ray, you got that right and the cone of death is right also. I have a brand new snowblower that has never been used in three years. Thats complete and utter bs for snow gradients. I have yet to see a gradient over perform in our area since frickin when?

• 2 weeks later...

What did you record in 03-04? I had 43" which was definitely an A winter. The early Dec storm produced 18" IMBY.

2000-01 was 38", and 2004-05 was 47" for me.

39" that year and 16" with the Dec 5th - 6th event, although it is possible I missed an inch or two with late measurements after compaction. It was real close to 40 yet now have 38.2" on this year and it's still a B.

Hey Ray, I believe your folks scraped up the 2.5" you needed to reach 20" and raise your grade to c-.

If I'm correct with memory, they had 1.4 on the 16th, .3 on the 20th and .8 today?

No, they just missed, 0.1" on the 20th.  19.8" total for the winter.  So it remains a D+. 

F.

No event greater than 4" in Phl, with a total <10" @ Phl. December was a torch, jan was warm ish. Feb cooled a bit, but I had the flu.

I did not receive the flu this past winter but I agree that this was a solid F. Early and late cold with warm Dec-Jan made it feel long (lol early nov-early apr is ridiculous), windy and annoying with anything interesting basically passing around our area.

Here in the NW Philly burbs of the last 13 winters - 9 of the 13 winters were over 93% to normal with just 4 that were well below normal. Although 7 were below average - so really a very normal distribution

Everyone basically northeast of Hightstown NJ has done very well since 2000. Of the past 13 winters, I've only seen 4 that were sub normal (01/02, 06/07, 07/08, and 11/12). Pretty impressive. In strong contrast, folks from the PHL/SW NJ area through DCA/BWI have seen by and large sub normal snowfall years since 2000. It's definitely been a 40N/75 E type of season and decade/period since 2000 really.

I'm at 33.6" on the season with one MECS, a February SECS, and March near SECS (5.5") with a few light hitters around Christmas. I'm up around a C+ in my mind, but if the next couple weeks can produce another 3"+ event at least, which I think it will, then I'll give this winter a B-. If we get a 1958 type redux, well then all bets are off. An A is within reach.

Archived