• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
grading the winter of 2012-13 HALF WAY

thunderbolt

Well next winter i hope elko gets one 20 inch storm in the beginning of december then shut out the rest of the winter. I bet you would pout like your cats do when you push them off your keyboard.

That would be fine by me ;)

Why don't you two just compromise and go with ten 20-inch storms?

I like the way you think :wub:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, it's all about perception. If February gives 3 snow events i would say it was an OK winter. I don't need a huge snowstorm. I'd rather have 10 2 inch events than one 20 inch event for the season. As long as its snowing, I'm fine. 

That also depends if those ten two inch events are cold and dry like the two we had last week or if they are sloppy and wet and melt a few hours later. In that case, I'll talke take the marginal temp 20 incher over the light slop fests. But ideally, for me having multiple light events with lingering cold beat out the quick dumps and were done winters. Of course, March 2009 - Jan 2011 featured one MEC and HEX after another. That's probably a 100 or 200 year occurence. I'll take that anytime and am glad it happened during my memorable lifetime.

That also depends if those ten two inch events are cold and dry like the two we had last week or if they are sloppy and wet and melt a few hours later. In that case, I'll talke take the marginal temp 20 incher over the light slop fests. But ideally, for me having multiple light events with lingering cold beat out the quick dumps and were done winters. Of course, March 2009 - Jan 2011 featured one MEC and HEX after another. That's probably a 100 or 200 year occurence. I'll take that anytime and am glad it happened during my memorable lifetime.

Honestly, the wet snows seem to last longer. That dry snow sublimates fast. You get that wet gloppy snow then a freeze after it and it turns its a hard crust.

I'll take twenty 20" storms, thanks. :weenie:

That is my ideal winter.  Two a week for ten weeks from Early/Mid-December through February.  Then come March summer can start.

As for this year, I'd give it a D+.  Quite honestly it has been dull, plus I don't have much optimism for the remainder of winter.  Back home it was nice to see some minor snows Christmas week, and out here we just had that 3-4" clipper system on Friday.  Other than that, zilch.  Quite honestly nothing below 6" does much to satisfy my snow thirst unless the storms stack up day-to-day.

Honestly, it's all about perception. If February gives 3 snow events i would say it was an OK winter. I don't need a huge snowstorm. I'd rather have 10 2 inch events than one 20 inch event for the season. As long as its snowing, I'm fine. 

so it is an ok winter w/ three sub one inch events in February?

TBH, considering I'm ahead of last winter's snowfall on February 5th (11.5 vs. 9.6) it's not a bad winter at all.  We've been nickeled and dimed a ton but those do add up.  I really don't care for them from a driving standpoint but they do add up...

It's like a bunch of three, four yard rushes in football.  It's boring but enough of them in succession make for a decent drive.

TBH, considering I'm ahead of last winter's snowfall on February 5th (11.5 vs. 9.6) it's not a bad winter at all.  We've been nickeled and dimed a ton but those do add up.  I really don't care for them from a driving standpoint but they do add up...

I suppose if you look at it that way... last year to date my parents had 6.0".  This year's 8.4" beats that :lol:

EDIT:  OK, misread you... you're already above your entire total for last winter.  My parents are doing better than last year at 8.4", but still haven't exceeded last year's 9.3" total.

so it is an ok winter w/ three sub one inch events in February?

It's perception. I don't care if i get 5 inches or an inch. As long as it snows that makes it successful to me. Others obviously have a different viewpoint. I'm ahead of both my totals from last year with another c-2 tonight and tuesday night. and the rest of february and march remaining.

• 2 weeks later...

C- because we're a little below average on snowfall but the Arctic air of the past week made me feel a little better.  Without the cold spell, I would've gone with a D because we haven't had enough snow for me to cross-country ski on the Perkiomen Trail.

I'm dropping this winter to a failing grade.  I haven't been able to go cross-country skiing, so while we've had more snow & cold than last winter, it's still abysmal in my book.

Considering the fact that Middletown, DE has received probably 2" of snow, the persistent bad storm track that has resulted in cold/dry and warm/wet, but counting the flurries on Christmas eve and two other minor snow "events", I'd give this winter a D. I'm hopeful but not optimistic that we'll get enough snow to cover the grass. To give you an idea of my general pessimism, I'm already thinking about my beloved Tigers in spring training in Lakeland, FL.

Given the fact that I've only received coatings or dustings (usually after mixing with rain) since my post, I'm going to stick with a D.

At this point I am amending my earlier grade slightly down from a B- to a C+ for NW Chester County:

- 13 Winter "events" to date

- Current Snowfall for the season stands at 21.6" 95% of normal to date (just 1.0" exactly from normal snow through today 2/18) on our way to a close to average season in the 32"-35" range

- A cold November (-3.3 degrees vs average) along with a 4.5" snowstorm (any snow in November is a surprise -normal here in Chesco is 1.2")

- Very warm December but saved again by above average snowfall (7.0" vs normal of 5.4") - thanks to 3 events Christmas week including another 4" event on the 29th and of course a snowfall on Christmas Eve itself (first since 1966 - extra points for this!)

- January at +2.7 above normal temps and snowfall of just 2.6" (6.1" below normal)

- February with already 6 measurable snow "events" albeit none too impressive but they are adding up as we are currently at 7.5" for the month or

0.1" above normal.

If we can pick up at least one significant (6" or greater event) by the end of March it might just get it's grade back to a B-  

This winter definitely gets an A+ for annoyance.

+1.  I haven't even bothered to measure most of the snow we've gotten this year, it's insulting!  I think I'm well over 20" for the season, but they've all been so small the sun annihilates them all a few days after they fall.  It's amazing the amount of road salt this winter has used up, and with nothing noteworthy to show.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to go with a D+.  Saw about 6" of snow all winter and did have a few pretty cold shots.  Last winter was an F for sure (duh).  Just curious as to how our arctic outbreak from the SSW compared to previous ones like 2004, 1994, 1985, and the late 70s?  We had highs this year in the low 20s, but my lowest night was 16.  I realize a region-wide snowpack would have helped considerably, but I am left to wonder is this as cold as it gets these days?  Yikes if so.  Thanks all.

Archived