e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 19-20 Talking Points - Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a current display at 500mb. When you compare how flat it is with what the models are showing they look pretty accurate. Perhaps slightly more digging going on near the TX panhandle. It does seem to have a tad of a negative look to it.

Yeah, agreed. Studied the water vapor and a succession of model charts and this thing looks fairly well modeled. Maybe some slight errors in Tx and a few other places, but almost certainly not enough. From the WV, it's easy to mentally visualize how the PV and southern s/w could join forces and spin up a nice coastal. But it looks like we are a day late and a dollar short.

that system has no where to go for Christmas day.. it's blocked. The euro wants to form a bit of a surface low in response to the persistant upper low over New England around Christmas. it's spitting out light QPF

Sounds like xmas system is going the way of this one. My main analog for this month is turning into Dec 1989 lol. This really has the feel of a late 80s winter.

My original call was for about a foot of snow for the season, with one storm of 6"

From Steve D....

"The problem is that the entire set up is dependent on the disturbances

and upper low in the Pacific and how they set up the next 24 hours.

The area that has the least reliable data is key, makes for a forecast

high for bust potential either way." - Steve D

All the players needed for this storm in North America at this point and the surface disturbance in question is in the South. Things *could* change but it's going to be a remarkably epic fail to see the Euro, GFS, NAM all trend back to a coastal hugger 36 hours from this event.

finally, at 210, it looks the pattern is on the move again.. the persistant upper low over new england wants to move east and the trof off the west coast is moving inland.. and there seems to be a huge ridge forming well into the Pacific.

Euro has been really bad this winter ..I'll ride the GFS on the Christmas storm..it did much better with this storm

pchg.gif?1292611786765

taking a look at the 2 hr pressure changes looks like pressure is falling all along the SE.

300mb.gif?1292611897062

Now taking a look at 300mb you can see what appears to be digging going on near the TX panhandle and a slight negative tilt.

500mb.gif?1292612033671

finaly looking at 500mb it looks to me as if the troughing is slightly sharper than forecasted...but I'm not an expert by any means. Do any of the mets have any comments on the current synoptics? Looks like a stronger southern stream?

pchg.gif?1292611786765

taking a look at the 2 hr pressure changes looks like pressure is falling all along the SE.

Now taking a look at 300mb you can see what appears to be digging going on near the TX panhandle and a slight negative tilt.

finaly looking at 500mb it looks to me as if the troughing is slightly sharper than forecasted...but I'm not an expert by any means. Do any of the mets have any comments on the current synoptics?

your observations are good.. It's just that these things you are looking at are on such a small scale that their isn't the resolution to determine the significance of them. That first wave in the southwest is moving really quickly. It would need to slow down big time to wait for phasing with the shortwave over Idaho to give this trof the chance to really amplify the way it needs to.

Archived