• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 19-20 Talking Points - Part 3

earthlight

What he wrote was correct. He said that other than 12Z yesterday, 6 of 7 EC runs had nothing. Which means that 0Z Thursday was the 1 outlier.

even if you want to include the 0Z and 12Z thursday runs....I went back and checked its 7 of 9...which to me show a very good %age of no storm solutions. So if you take the largest outliers the EC was VERY consistent since 12Z sunday. As opposed to the GFS which went miss, hit, miss, hit, miss, almost hit, miss, hit, miss rinse wash repeat

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been reading that the WV images show the s/w holding stronger in NM than what was shown in models. Any Mets have thoughts on this?

if i had a dollar for every time i heard this or the precip shield is definitely moving NORTH i could retire....btw- its never correct

if i had a dollar for every time i heard this or the precip shield is definitely moving NORTH i could retire....btw- its never correct

Normally thats the one fun period of storms that are a near miss for the area as they get into the NC/VA/SC region but I'm not sure with this event if the trends of the 12Z guidance are correct we'll even have that straw house to lean on.

I will say it again- this is the best looking h5 map I have seen this year...if this is correct, and that is a HUGE IF, this is our chance before it gets warm...maybe the pattern changer.

12Z GFS 168hrsgfs_500_168l.gif

I said the region would likely eventually cash in between the 12th-22nd or so....The NAO is probably neutral to positive there but given how quick the flow is its likely that system would make it into the region before that 50/50 esque low was able to get out of the way and hence would probably be a decent chance for an event.

I said the region would likely eventually cash in between the 12th-22nd or so....The NAO is probably neutral to positive there but given how quick the flow is its likely that system would make it into the region before that 50/50 esque low was able to get out of the way and hence would probably be a decent chance for an event.

and just to take it one step further- i am in no way saying it will be a KU event...but a 3-6" or 4-8" type situation is certainly plausible.

I went thru the Kocin book looking at the h5 graphics for the storms, especially, t+24 and 48 hrs prior to the storm and none matched this....for once we need the SE ridge to raise heights along the coast and it aint there...in 3 weeks it will be however (assuming we lose the -nao)

and just to take it one step further- i am in no way saying it will be a KU event...but a 3-6" or 4-8" type situation is certainly plausible.

I went thru the Kocin book looking at the h5 graphics for the storms, especially, t+24 and 48 hrs prior to the storm and none matched this....for once we need the SE ridge to raise heights along the coast and it aint there...in 3 weeks it will be however (assuming we lose the -nao)

Often times a SW flow event with a bit of a 50/50 low or slightly suppressed pattern is the only chance you have early on during La Ninas through at least mid-January.

hour 48, weak 1008 mb low forming about 50 - 100 miles east of NC.. 95% of QPF offshore and looking to be headed OTS

Only shot we had was if the S/W dropping down through the 4 corners region phased with the PV sooner causing the trough to go negative tilt further west and the low to form in the central gulf. Instead the S/W is virtually non-existent and in some models lagged behind.

10-8-casket-1.jpg

Archived