Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 19-20 Talking Points - Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Euro shows another 12Z result I will be extremely surprised. Perhaps we are expecting too much to get a decent snow in a mod-strong La Nina? An HECS, or even MECS I think, would be fairly unprecedented for places in the Mid-Atlantic and areas south of New England. Despite favorable cold, could it be that the entire system is just lacking all the ingredients we need? Certainly unprecedented events can take place, but the possibility is lower. Snow storms in this area require just about every factor to be ideal.

Anyway I'm just floating this. Someone with more knowledge of the overall pattern may be able to better identify the issues. I know the pacific in general and perhaps other features are missing. What exactly can be helped at this point? The pacific will not improve in the next few days.

The GFS was so much more amplified at 00z compared to the 18z run, it was actually ridiculous to watch. The model literally is within an hour or two of bringing the surface low up the coast exactly like the 12z ECMWF. If you compare the two images below (first image 18z, second image 00z), you can see the height field shifting much more favorably and the shortwave is much more amplified. I am totally shocked that this run didn't show a major hit--but there's nothing we can do about that. Significant trend towards the Euro aloft, though. That's all we can say for now.

18z

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_18z/f60.gif

00z

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/AVN_0z/f54.gif

I feel good about the Euro and the trends today. Where are those Euro supporters now? The UKMet does concern me a little though. What caused it to go east of the GFS?

The GFS/NAM didn't concern me as H5 on the 00z GFS is actually very close to pulling off a big snow for the NYC-BOS corridor, but closes off the low a bit too late.

The UKMET solution makes me a little more nervous about the 00z euro tonight, as often times the UKIE foretells the Euro solution. I have seen the UKMET throw in some strange scenarios, most of the time suppressed/SE of guidance, so it could be nothing.

Sometimes the UKMET has weird runs and solutions, maybe this is one of them. Hopefully the GGEM doesn't also show an out to sea low. Judging by the upper air patterns alone, the NAM and GFS improved markedly tonight from before, so that might lend credence to this being a burp UKMET run. But if the Euro and Canadian go east as well, it definitely raises concern.

Sometimes the UKMET has weird runs and solutions, maybe this is one of them. Hopefully the GGEM doesn't also show an out to sea low. Judging by the upper air patterns alone, the NAM and GFS improved markedly tonight from before, so that might lend credence to this being a burp UKMET run. But if the Euro and Canadian go east as well, it definitely raises concern.

Good summary. The NAM and GFS are both deeper at H5, but not to the extent of the Euro. I've seen the UKIE often veer wildly away from the mean guidance so let's hope this is one of those times.

The GFS was so much more amplified at 00z compared to the 18z run, it was actually ridiculous to watch. The model literally is within an hour or two of bringing the surface low up the coast exactly like the 12z ECMWF. If you compare the two images below (first image 18z, second image 00z), you can see the height field shifting much more favorably and the shortwave is much more amplified. I am totally shocked that this run didn't show a major hit--but there's nothing we can do about that. Significant trend towards the Euro aloft, though. That's all we can say for now.

18z

http://www.meteo.psu...AVN_18z/f60.gif

00z

http://www.meteo.psu.../AVN_0z/f54.gif

It was the stupid fake lows the NAM and GFS created by bunching too much energy out ahead and feeding back. The same thing happened just prior to the 12/19 storm last year-the NAM especially kept keying in on energy out ahead of the main low which destroyed the baroclinicity and basically robbed the main storm dry. The GFS also has a bias of keying in too much on energy out ahead of the main shortwave. I'm not that concerned about the strung out solutions right now on both models. The 500mb presentation improved markedly, which is what I was concerned about. The feedback issues will likely work themselves out by tomorrow night hopefully.

Care to elaborate why you think the Euro was hiccup?

The 12z Euro is the only model that shows the shortwave digging that far to the south and the result was the "bomb" scenario for everyone. The trend has been for all the other models to show the shortwave being less amplfied and therefore the storm doesn't get going until its north of 40N. I think the 0Z EURO will be key, and if it shifts further east (which I think it will) it's time to put this one to rest....

GFS looked better at 0z almost identical in all aspects to the EURO, with the exception of the surface...

It might be the snow weenie in me... but I just cannot by the paltry qpf by the gfs this run...flow aloft backing nicely, 700rh fields look good...but very little results....this reminds me of at least one of our big hits last year...we were all laughing at the GFS and NAM playing catchup at the surface....I hope thats what we'll see again and right now that is what I am leaning toward...its my story and I'm sticking to it

Good summary. The NAM and GFS are both deeper at H5, but not to the extent of the Euro. I've seen the UKIE often veer wildly away from the mean guidance so let's hope this is one of those times.

I'd be much more concerned about a bad trend if the NAM/GFS worsened aloft or stayed the same. I don't know if either model has been upgraded to minimize feedback since last year, but the same exact bias is seemingly showing up again.

GFS/NAM are fine. The UKMet is the troublesome part of the evening thus far.

Only if you assume the s/w will come in stronger and sharpen up the trof a bit sooner. Mid and upper level charts not as good as advertised. Basically just a moderately flat wave passing off the Va coast. That spells ocean gale unless we get some help here. Tuesday's 12z GFS and today's 12z Euro were among the few exceptions to a pattern of model runs that missed or grazed the coast.

It was the stupid fake lows the NAM and GFS created by bunching too much energy out ahead and feeding back. The same thing happened just prior to the 12/19 storm last year-the NAM especially kept keying in on energy out ahead of the main low which destroyed the baroclinicity and basically robbed the main storm dry. The GFS also has a bias of keying in too much on energy out ahead of the main shortwave. I'm not that concerned about the strung out solutions right now on both models. The 500mb presentation improved markedly, which is what I was concerned about. The feedback issues will likely work themselves out by tomorrow night hopefully.

I remember when the 6z NAM at around 30-36 hours out went out to sea, and everyone committed suicide. :lol:

Archived