12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 19-20 Talking Points - Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if this model did not depict like 50 different low pressure areas off the coast and had one consolidated low pressure area like the EC, we might have a different result closer to the coast? By the way, it looks better at 72 hrs, getting really close here, brings accumulating snows into S NJ and New England.

Ultimately, I don't think we can get much more out of this run than the s/w is stronger, as advertised by the Euro. There is still a lot of downstream stuff to be worked out, particularly how much ridging will be out in front, but it's a big plus in resolving some of the uncertainty in the strength of the shortwave. IMO, it's still a thread the needle type event, but the eye got a little bit bigger here.

I find that odd...worlds better in the uppers but still pretty shaky at the surface.

Yeah, I'm less concerned about the surface reflection at this time. This the first model with the 0z RAOBs and I was more concerned about the strength of the shortwave. Overall, this is a win for snow lovers.

Maybe if this model did not depict like 50 different low pressure areas off the coast and had one consolidated low pressure areas like the EC, we might have a different result closer to the coast? By the way, it looks better at 72 hrs, getting really close here.

this may not be the perfect solution but it is 1000000% better than the 18z! H5 is a dream come true comparing the two runs IMO.

It looks better at H5....but the surface isnt as improved, if that makes sense?

Surface is definitely improved from 18z, just not as much as people might've hoped for (or expected based on the upper levels). Precip is way farther west on the 0z (skirts the coast) as opposed to 18z (well offshore). The fact that there is a favorable trend is what's most important right now, especially in the upper levels.

Yeah, I'm less concerned about the surface reflection at this time. This the first model with the 0z RAOBs and I was more concerned about the strength of the shortwave. Overall, this is a win for snow lovers.

I was just going to ask about that....Im still a novice at reading these things....but the s/w being stronger is a good sign.

NAM does have 2 detected SLPs...maybe that has something to do with it.

THAT might actually be due to convective feedback. The shortwave is consolidated, so there shouldn't be much elongation to the surface pressure field. Either way, I'm not going to worry too much about the sfc in the NAM at T+72.

Look at the mystery dotted vorts popping up yet again out ahead of the low as it develops near Cape Hatteras. Those are definitely robbing energy from the main storm by creating T-storm complexes and rain. I doubt this actually happens as is and is likely yet another convective feedback issue. Without those ramdom heavy precip spots and the pseudo-low that competes with our storm, it would undoubtedly look a lot better verbatim. I'll give it until tomorrow night to work out those kinks.

THAT might actually be due to convective feedback. The shortwave is consolidated, so there shouldn't be much elongation to the surface pressure field. Either way, I'm not going to worry too much about the sfc in the NAM at T+72.

With all of the random vorts sitting ahead of the storm off of Hatteras, I think that is definitely a convective feedback issue.

I really think it is clear that the convective feedback issue that produces two low pressure centers is messing this up, otherwise I think we would have the Euro solution here, or something pretty close anyway.

18z runs def a fluke. Upper air pattern wayyyy better, and the surface is all screwed up, which should look better.

funny it just doesn't seem to get its act together at all between 72 and 78 hrs. With the uppers looking like they are and this think going negative the last thing i would expect would be a double-barrel low.

It won't be a double-barrel low, the NAM only makes it appear that way because it creates random vortmaxes that create a fake pseudo-low and heavy precip, which compete with the main low and cause the whole complex to be broad and weak. By tomorrow night it'll probably lose enough of these to make it into the powerful storm near the coast it would show without the random vorts. Just going by the upper air and taking those vorts out, it would likely be a bomb.

I really think it is clear that the convective feedback issue that produces two low pressure centers is messing this up, otherwise I think we would have the Euro solution here, or something pretty close anyway.

i was just thinking the same thing.....instead of a strong single low pressure its producing the convective feedbacik issues and the track to the east compared to the 18z close but still not there

Archived