joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm threat disc 1/25/13-1/26/13

Allsnow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been so cold the past few days that I still have traces of the inch snowfall from Monday. 

Yeah same here. I remember in February 2007, the 2" of sleet/ice that we had on Valentine's Day stayed on the ground for 2 whole weeks after the storm. It's all about temperatures at this time of year. Once we hit March 1st, the sun angle becomes a major factor in snowpack maintenance, which is why NYC's history shows clearly that snow cover usually dies by about March 7th-10th even in the snowiest of winters.

SREF's are basically treating this like a clipper. Snow falls apart in E PA and NYC is lucky to see an hour of flurries. WWA in S Jersey may fail miserably.

The models are really catching on to the speed of this system, it doesn't surprise me the QPF numbers are going down, this is pretty much across the board, not just here.

This event/non event has featured some of the worst hype forecasting I've ever heard. All along there has been the northern stream kicker and high pressure zipping out ahead of the system/s, a sure signal that this was going to be next to nothing and zip right on out to the east. Little moisture, hardly any vertical velocity, I just don't see how anyone can be going for 1-3" with this. Even anything over 1". Frankly, I'd be surprised if more than 2 stations reported an inch.

WX/PT

The whole thing though about that image....It doesn't even make meteorological sense. The placement of the SLP is bizarre. I think the one lesson to learn from this event...always be skeptical of an EC snow event when you have a meandering SLP over the Great Lakes. They hardly ever interact with southern energy in a promising way.

This was the GGEM on Monday  :axe:

ohiixs.png

Just goes to show you that you should look at the overall patterns and not just models. Euro also bombed big time on this. Fast progressive patterns with no blocking usually lead to crappy sheared systems for us, or cutters.

I wouldn't say that. We can and have gotten good snows without blocking and progressive patterns. I think the bigger problem is the lack of a southern stream, there's no moisture to tap. We've seen significant overrunners with all of this cold air around in the past, but the La Nada has really allowed for a dry pattern throughout the CONUS.

The Euro actually did well aside from one horribly bogus juicy run. I would say it is many of us who did badly in paying attention and jumping on a bandwagon of snow over one Euro run. The Euro was perfectly clear for two and a half days about what was happening. It had one bad run.

WX/PT

This event/non event has featured some of the worst hype forecasting I've ever heard. All along there has been the northern stream kicker and high pressure zipping out ahead of the system/s, a sure signal that this was going to be next to nothing and zip right on out to the east. Little moisture, hardly any vertical velocity, I just don't see how anyone can be going for 1-3" with this. Even anything over 1". Frankly, I'd be surprised if more than 2 stations reported an inch.

WX/PT

Some mets on t.v were talking about plowable snow for this Friday.

The whole thing though about that image....It doesn't even make meteorological sense. The placement of the SLP is bizarre. I think the one lesson to learn from this event...always be skeptical of an EC snow event when you have a meandering SLP over the Great Lakes. They hardly ever interact with southern energy in a promising way.

GGEM,Ukie, GFS and Euro showed a moderate snowstorm on many runs. Euro showed a big snowstorm 96 hours out. 12+ for the whole area on the 0z Tuesday run.

I wouldn't say that. We can and have gotten good snows without blocking and progressive patterns. I think the bigger problem is the lack of a southern stream, there's no moisture to tap. We've seen significant overrunners with all of this cold air around in the past, but the La Nada has really allowed for a dry pattern throughout the CONUS.

We've had big storms dominated by the northern stream before. 1/22/05 and 2/78 being examples. In a fast flow like this, we just can't get a powerful enough vort max to come through, and the fast flow and lack of blocking prevents whatever does come from digging.  The poor state of the NAO keeps the flow over the N Atlantic progressive too. Just not a good overall pattern for us getting snow.

Some mets on t.v were talking about plowable snow for this Friday.

GGEM,Ukie, GFS and Euro showed a moderate snowstorm on many runs. Euro showed a big snowstorm 96 hours out. 12+ for the whole area on the 0z Tuesday run.

Agree. Euro consistently wanted to give us a good snowfall until yesterday. Even had one run 96 hrs out with close to a foot. Gfs was the first to drop that idea and has held firm. Gfs has closed the gap in performance, and frankly the euro has been very shaky in the 3-5 day range. Last week it had that burp run for costal inside 24 hrs

I think I'll be waiting for the S/W to be onshore before even expecting anything next time. Much less disappointment, better accuracy.

Just look for hints. I don't know if it's going to happen, but on the EURO today at 240 hours, there was a much better look to the overall pattern. You had a little ridging in the North Atlantic out ahead of an east coast storm which was moving OTS and then a system dropping se-ward into the Rockies or western Plains states following it. You had a much rounder better carved out eastern trough, really a much better look than what we've had so far. We shall see.

WX/PT

Just look for hints. I don't know if it's going to happen, but on the EURO today at 240 hours, there was a much better look to the overall pattern. You had a little ridging in the North Atlantic out ahead of an east coast storm which was moving OTS and then a system dropping se-ward into the Rockies or western Plains states following it. You had a much rounder better carved out eastern trough, really a much better look than what we've had so far. We shall see.

WX/PT

I have a good feeling about the first 2 weeks  of February for cold and stormy conditions. CPC has colder than normal conditions with above normal precip in our area. MJO on the Euro is going into 8 and then 1.

It's going to snow tomorrow and tomorrow night for most of the NYC crew. This is all we can ask for in this first installment of winter 2012-2013. It's not over yet.....don't give up yet. 

Voice of reason :snowwindow:

My 3 inch Monday is down to an inch. Agreed this is going to be a terrible fail. (I wasn't willing to throw in the towel till now but here is the towel) I still think if I could get 3 inches Monday in the snow dome of the metro someone will eek out 2 inches. With ratios what they will be it doesn't take much. The majority of my 3 inches fell in 30 min Monday

Archived