Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol

Something I noticed when looking at tonight's runs is that 00z March 1 is just 240 hours away. Just another reminder of how the season is moving along.

Yeah moving right into severe weather season. Also ban anyone who starts a thread for that potential storm, if they start it in the next 4 days.

This winter has been a synoptic disaster for this sub-forum (the Madison snow magnet and michsnowfreak's pocket change notwithstanding)

Please end the torture.

The lake has CERTAINLY helped more than its usual share here, but its not like we have been getting nothing but dustings or no synoptic support.

Through Feb 18th, DTW has had 33.9" of snow, 49 days with T+ snowcover, 37 days with 1"+ snowcover, 26 days with 3"+ snowcover, and 8 days with 5"+ snowcover.

Also..I found a chart I had made of the number of 2"+, 3"+, 4"+, etc snowstorms each winter since 1912. To keep it decadal-friendly, I calculated the average from 1920-2009 (90-yr).

......................Average.......2012-13 so far

2"+ snowfalls........6.4............9

3"+ snowfalls........3.8............4

4"+ snowfalls........2.3............1

5"+ snowfalls........1.4............1

6"+ snowfalls........1.0............1

7"+ snowfalls........0.5............0

8"+ snowfalls........0.3............0

........1981-2010 avg........2012-13 so far

Tot snowfall.........42.7"..........33.9"

dys meas snw......37..............27

1"+ snwcvr dys....47..............37

3"+ snwcvr dys....28..............26

5"+ snwcvr dys....15................8

10"+ snwcv dys.....3................0

***All above data is average for ENTIRE snow season vs 2012-13 thru Feb 18th.

The frequency of "nuisance" snow and lack of major snowstorms (except Dec 26) is the last thing some "go big or go home" storm lovers want, but the whole "winter has been a disaster" or "what winter?" cracks we hear are completely irrelevant to this area.

You mean the gulf low that transferred to the east coast in KY?

Well, that proves my point.

Yeah, the one that dropped 10-12" of snow, isolated higher, in the above mentioned CWAs. Not sure how that proves your point, as I'd call that a successful synoptic system...in this sub-forum.

Yeah, the one that dropped 10-12" of snow, isolated higher, in the above mentioned CWAs. Not sure how that proves your point, as I'd call that a successful synoptic system...in this sub-forum.

We need another track in that ballpark. Don't recall many of them this winter...if there were then we'd be sitting here with a lot more snow. :P

We need another track in that ballpark. Don't recall many of them this winter...if there were then we'd be sitting here with a lot more snow. :P

I think that was it. That period, late December, lined up pretty good though for the southern half of the sub-forum. 

Good news though, after we're done with the next couple of cutters...fantasy land GFS starts sliding them south of us. :lol:

Archived