• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
2013 Southeast Tropical Storm Thread

jburns

honestly, Andrea underacheived here in both wind and rainfall, and I suspect everywhere else as well.  Were calling for 30mph winds with higher gusts and 3-5" of rain.  The winds were no higher than what I get with the sea breeze on a daily basis and we ended up with 1.2".  Meh storm, but we always need to get past the A storm so the season can start.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly, Andrea underacheived here in both wind and rainfall, and I suspect everywhere else as well. Were calling for 30mph winds with higher gusts and 3-5" of rain. The winds were no higher than what I get with the sea breeze on a daily basis and we ended up with 1.2". Meh storm, but we always need to get past the A storm so the season can start.

Yeah we definitely underacheived here. Never got those 40-45mph sustained winds gusting to 50-60mph. Rain was okay. We were expecting 3-6 but only received 2.

honestly, Andrea underacheived here in both wind and rainfall, and I suspect everywhere else as well.  Were calling for 30mph winds with higher gusts and 3-5" of rain.  The winds were no higher than what I get with the sea breeze on a daily basis and we ended up with 1.2".  Meh storm, but we always need to get past the A storm so the season can start.

So she looked hot but then ended up being a big tease.

We had some pretty gusty winds (TS force) last night with a squall that moved through and its rather windy now. NWS Wilmington forecasting gusts to 46MPH this afternoon. That should be fun. 

There never should have been an expectation for anything more.

This was never going to be anything more than a quick moving borderline tropical storm.  TS conditions were only going to be in offshore waters and maybe 1 or 2 locations right at the coast.  Those that were expecting 30-40mph sustained winds inland or away from the immediate landfall point had unrealistic expectations.

It stopped raining here for about 15 minutes and now it's pouring again.

Saw this from WRAL, too.

At 9:15am, Seymour-Johnson air traffic control in Wayne County noted a funnel cloud with a stronger thunderstorm northeast of the base. That storm has since weakened, but just a reminder that weak tornadoes will be possible today as Andrea continues to move northeast.

It stopped raining here for about 15 minutes and now it's pouring again.

Saw this from WRAL, too.

At 9:15am, Seymour-Johnson air traffic control in Wayne County noted a funnel cloud with a stronger thunderstorm northeast of the base. That storm has since weakened, but just a reminder that weak tornadoes will be possible today as Andrea continues to move northeast.

That particular cell appears to be just west of Rocky Mount now..... I would think these couple of bands moving through now are going to need to be watched for brief spin ups from Roanoke Rapids down to Goldsboro area...

There never should have been an expectation for anything more.

This was never going to be anything more than a quick moving borderline tropical storm. TS conditions were only going to be in offshore waters and maybe 1 or 2 locations right at the coast. Those that were expecting 30-40mph sustained winds inland or away from the immediate landfall point had unrealistic expectations.

Lol, the NWS issued tropical storm warnings, so they had unrealistic expectations. :lmao:

What makes it even funnier, is that they still were expecting the tropical storm force winds last night. They dropped them after midnight when they realized it wasn't windy outside.

From Matthew East on Facebook:

The center of Andrea has wabbled a bit north and was located a bit north of Florence, SC around 10am. Heading NNE.

I don't think it's going up I-95 anymore. It looks to go over or just west of Raleigh, if it remains on its current heading...which means the heavy rain might be done here for the day.

I don't think it's going up I-95 anymore. It looks to go over or just west of Raleigh, if it remains on its current heading...which means the heavy rain might be done here for the day.

It certainly looks to go west of forecast track which may bring the tornado threat a little further inland, say around I-95 as opposed to just coastal sections.  Something I'm gonna keep a close eye on.....

Disappointing....up until yesterday night the COC was projected to pass right through FAY...we got 1.04 inches of rain in the past 24 hours.  Was supposed to get 1 last night and 1-2 today.  Oh well, on to the next storm.  Light rain right now, though.  Maybe end up with 1.5 total.

It certainly looks to go west of forecast track which may bring the tornado threat a little further inland, say around I-95 as opposed to just coastal sections.  Something I'm gonna keep a close eye on.....

Yep, that'll be something to keep an eye on the next few hours.

Really?  I-95....well maybe the excitement isn't over for Fayetteville then.  What would the timing be approximately?

Northern half of I-95 in NC......sorry I think it's pretty much over for Fayetteville.

2 distinct things to watch for with Andrea now in NC imho.....that line from Roanoke Rapids down to Kenansville is looking pretty intense and then a nice axis of heavy rain is setting up west, nw of the actual center...where ever this pivots through could have some issues.

Wilmington has sustained winds at 34mph. Wrightsville Beach just gusted to 42mph.

Getting sun here and its causing a bit of mixing we are gusting to 30 although that is nothing special, New Bern has gusted to 45 recently as well.....wouldnt be surprised to see a gust to 50 out on the sounds or OB.

Euro pops a low right off Florida in the 8-9 day range on the tail of a washed out front, that is climo wise a way we see early season storms in the SE....

Andrea giving us some decent gust into the mid to upper 30's, if the center keeps sliding up the way it is some of the harder hit spots rain wise are looking to get another round of heavier returns.

Archived