Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That crew I believe has had 1 good storm since there once in a century winter (09/10) so I am sure they are going crazy, of course same goes for central NC. If they don't cash in this February that would be quite the dry spell. You have to feel they cash in during Feb, they are approaching records for minimal snow totals now.

I hear what you're saying. However, I'm not about the field too bad for them after the greatness experienced in February 2010. ;)

Seriously, I think Wow was the one who made up the banter thread last winter, and a big reason was because of my posts.

The first banter thread I can find was created on 4 Jan 2011 by oconeexman. It was created after a raving success of the banter -type threads in the SNE forum and really had nothing to do with you.

The firstibanter thread I can find was created on 4 Jan 2011 by oconeexman. It was after a raving success in the SNE forum that the banter thread was born in other locations.

It has definitely helped to cut down on the insane posting rates we saw in the past (50 pages per day during and leading up to the Christmas/Boxing Day Storm, for example).

I hear what you're saying. However, I'm not about the field too bad for them after the greatness experienced in February 2010. ;)

Yeah, definitely, the whole east coast is paying for the 2009/2010 and 2010/2011, I believe 2010/2011 was a banner year for the NE,  because now we (east coast) are going to have 2 clunkers in a row.  What really blows is for our area this will be 6 out of the past 9 years we are going to be under a 1" of snow.  Well I guess GSO will be a little better, but for RDU it's bad and probably our worst 9 year stretch in 100+ years.  Next winter 2003/2004 comes off the books for a 10 year stretch and if next winter is clunker it be RDU's worst 10 year stretch, ever.  Now that assume Feb stinks and the entire winter next year stinks and both of those are big if's, which is why I think we will get something in Feb/March this winter and next winter will be an above average winter and we start an upward tick of seasonal snow the next 10+ years.

well I am pleased if we get nothing else this winter.  Though only two events they were very profitable for me. I still think we will get something big down the road and I for one never write winter off.  I hope we get a moderate snow that kids can play in.  No reason to get down.  Back before Christmas many said nothing looks good in future and since then we have a couple small events.

I like the banter thread the way it's been the last 97 pages--a myriad of all types of topics and comments. Maybe it was originally intended as a place to just post weather weenie stuff, but for me, at least, it's been a fun place to visit and get to talk about stuff with fellow southeasterners and get to know some folks. I think it helps us get to know one another a little bit, which I think is a good thing for our community.

If you have to go to OT every time you want to chat about a non weather item, it will be too much of a hassle for it to be worthwhile and there won't be nearly as much participation. So if less participation is the goal, then we should do that.

On the other side of the coin, controversial topics like politics ad religion, should be done in OT, and lengthy conversations about sports should go there too. The occasional page of rivalry banter and poking, I don't have a problem with...even if the Wolfpack lose 13 in a row to UNC.

Anyway, I think the banter thread has been fine, except for the iceman stuff, because although it was funny for a couple of posts, it didn't make any sense. But the nature of the thread really hasn't been a problem for me at all. It's been a fun distraction from the non-winter, for the most part.

Well said CR. Ot is not a place for the easily trolled person. I like that we have our place for some good clean and inteligent humour

Yeah, definitely, the whole east coast is paying for the 2009/2010 and 2010/2011, I believe 2010/2011 was a banner year for the NE, because now we (east coast) are going to have 2 clunkers in a row. What really blows is for our area this will be 6 out of the past 9 years we are going to be under a 1" of snow. Well I guess GSO will be a little better, but for RDU it's bad and probably our worst 9 year stretch in 100+ years. Next winter 2003/2004 comes off the books for a 10 year stretch and if next winter is clunker it be RDU's worst 10 year stretch, ever. Now that assume Feb stinks and the entire winter next year stinks and both of those are big if's, which is why I think we will get something in Feb/March this winter and next winter will be an above average winter and we start an upward tick of seasonal snow the next 10+ years.

It seems like we have moved into a predominate period of drought and less wintry conditions in the SE. Meanwhile, places like Russia and Europe seem to be getting plenty of winter. Without looking at historical data or conducting any empirical research, that is the way it feels, anecdotally.

Every year now, we see analogues, research, studies, model projections, etc. that point to cold and snow, for at least portions of the winter, and we end up with little blocking, little STJ action, and little wintry weather.

Take this year for instance: Rapid build-up of Siberian snow cover, consecutive months of -AO, expectations for a weak Nino, SSW event, vast snow pack in Canada, long range models showing cold, analogues showing cold 2nd half of winter, MJO phases. What has all that translated to? An above normal temp winter and below normal snowfall winter, so far.

Now all that might change, and we might get buried in a week or two. But if Feb. turns out to be seasonal and/or mild and snowless, then we'll probably have to pack it in till next year.

I think it's possible that something has changed that nobody really understands yet. I think it's possible that something else, that we haven't given much consideration to, may be trumping the things we know, so that the things like snow cover build-up, analogue data, and indecies don't have the same impacts they have historically had.

I have no idea what or why, but the things that *seem* like they would produce favorable patterns for this area seem to not work out or always get thwarted by something else that shouldn't be having that impact.

The safest winter forecast one can make is probably just to go warm and snowless, until the pattern proves otherwise.

I haven't written off winter, but if we don't start to see a better pattern in the cards soon, it won't be long until I do. I don't see any reason to expect March to be the big producer. Sure, it can always happen, but we need perfect timing without a favorable pattern. And perfect timing in late Jan. is a lot easier than it is in March.

one thing that is keeping me going is that we've had some of our biggest snowfalls if not the biggest in March.  I remember a couple of good snows in the first week of April, April might be pushing it but March is still a good month for winter in the mtns. of nc.  today was nice but I have to have some winter before its over.

It seems like we have moved into a predominate period of drought and less wintry conditions in the SE. Meanwhile, places like Russia and Europe seem to be getting plenty of winter. Without looking at historical data or conducting any empirical research, that is the way it feels, anecdotally.

Every year now, we see analogues, research, studies, model projections, etc. that point to cold and snow, for at least portions of the winter, and we end up with little blocking, little STJ action, and little wintry weather.

Take this year for instance: Rapid build-up of Siberian snow cover, consecutive months of -AO, expectations for a weak Nino, SSW event, vast snow pack in Canada, long range models showing cold, analogues showing cold 2nd half of winter, MJO phases. What has all that translated to? An above normal temp winter and below normal snowfall winter, so far.

Now all that might change, and we might get buried in a week or two. But if Feb. turns out to be seasonal and/or mild and snowless, then we'll probably have to pack it in till next year.

I think it's possible that something has changed that nobody really understands yet. I think it's possible that something else, that we haven't given much consideration to, may be trumping the things we know, so that the things like snow cover build-up, analogue data, and indecies don't have the same impacts they have historically had.

I have no idea what or why, but the things that *seem* like they would produce favorable patterns for this area seem to not work out or always get thwarted by something else that shouldn't be having that impact.

The safest winter forecast one can make is probably just to go warm and snowless, until the pattern proves otherwise.

I haven't written off winter, but if we don't start to see a better pattern in the cards soon, it won't be long until I do. I don't see any reason to expect March to be the big producer. Sure, it can always happen, but we need perfect timing without a favorable pattern. And perfect timing in late Jan. is a lot easier than it is in March.

It's the Gollings/Willy Postulation.  See my earlier post.  It's all about the E layer in the Ionosphere.  It's why the sky cries....and wants a hug :) 

There's a  storm coming...the Mole are on alert, and have begun the Mole thrumming.  Get thee to thy generators!!  T

It's the Gollings/Willy Postulation.  See my earlier post.  It's all about the E layer in the Ionosphere.  It's why the sky cries....and wants a hug :)

There's a  storm coming...the Mole are on alert, and have begun the Mole thrumming.  Get thee to thy generators!!  T

Double Mole 7 has put on his summer disguise.

i-KdL6jJq-L.jpg

+1 :wub:

:wub:

Seriously, I think Wow was the one who made up the banter thread last winter, and a big reason was because of my posts.

:lol: 

Agreed 100%. We all should use the OT section more. It's only one click away.

+1 :D 

Or you could be like some other fools and just beotch about it on DBM...

I haven't been there in awhile :(   

There is a young red tailed hawk I see in the morning thinning the mole population. It took me a few times to figure out what kind of crazy dance he was doing :lol: Some mornings the moles win, but most of the time the hawk does ;)  

Archived