joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 29-30 storm.

stormtracker

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was very afraid of the column...probably more than I should have been, but surface temps were perfectly fine last night when everyone was concerned...even without a high pressure...since when did 36/27 become a bad early evening temp reading the night before a storm?

I was less "concerned" about them than wanting them to max their bottoming potential which they really didn't. But, they still fell quite nicely once the precip fell. An extra degree or two can make a big difference though of course.

Almost an inch in Germantown as the edge nears. I am pretty happy with it as I expected nothing the way things looked at 6 am.

I wasn't looking for any snow at all on the 24th and 26th -- both one inchers -- so I am satisfied with this week. Looks like cold and dry for a while but you never know what can pop up.

I was very afraid of the column...probably more than I should have been, but surface temps were perfectly fine last night when everyone was concerned...even without a high pressure...since when did 36/27 become a bad early evening temp reading the night before a storm?

Precip type is fine, but surface temps are killing us. It is nice to see big fat flakes in the air, but they are melting as fast as they are accumulating. I won't be able to go above 0.2" with a straight face despite a couple of hours of decent rates.

As a kid you didn't know the potential for any storm based on a model..you couldn't usually say what could have been..you wake up its snowing you're happy you go play....ahhhh so much better than moaning about what it was supposed to be or is somewhere else... I woke up it snowed and accumulated for the third time this week and it was Christmas to boot! Yay snow!!!

Yeah, we spent a long time talking about temps but they have been mostly a non-issue. It wasn't like we were 60 before the storm like sometimes happens. It has been cold enough for the past week with a good sun angle situation. We probably should have been paying more attention to the dual-low structure sapping our precip. Some were talking about that, certainly (Bob Chill for one).

Precip type is fine, but surface temps are killing us. It is nice to see big fat flakes in the air, but they are melting as fast as they are accumulating. I won't be able to go above 0.2" with a straight face despite a couple of hours of decent rates.

i cant go above T with a straight face. too wet.. 2 degrees lower on starting point could have been huge

Yeah, we spent a long time talking about temps but they have been mostly a non-issue. It wasn't like we were 60 before the storm like sometimes happens. It has been cold enough for the past week with a good sun angle situation. We probably should have been paying more attention to the dual-low structure sapping our precip. Some were talking about that, certainly (Bob Chill for one).

you guys north and west were never a big concern--i told winterwxluvr to go to bed.. it was really just the 'transition zone'. it's nice to see snow but the sfc temps still suck considering the outcome.

These snow events of the past week remind me of the old days (60's;70,s). Back then, you could count on the gradual progression of winter storms making their way west to east and finally reaching the mid atlantic and further north in the first week of January. I suspect that we will have our legitimate shots of a few winter storms in January; especially past mid-month, after a slight warmup in the second week of January. I also don't believe the modeled strength of next week's high pressure. I wouldn't be suprised if we get lucky next week (obviously I have nothing to back up that feeling). I think Mr. Chill is right when he said that there haven't been many high pressure systems that have been as strong as modeled. They seemed to vacate the northern tier of states pretty quickly in December.

That was the reason we were optimistic for a 4 or 5 AM start. This stuff now would have been snow on snow. Once we got the snow hole the scenario was totally different.

Just a good reminder that complicated setups are complicated. When you can fail in 10 ways there's a good shot one will happen. However, the idea that it would be changing to rain around here seems to have been wrong. It's rate dependent of course but looks like most of the transition zone will stay snow till it winds down.

These snow events of the past week remind me of the old days (60's;70,s). Back then, you could count on the gradual progression of winter storms making their way west to east and finally reaching the mid atlantic and further north in the first week of January. I suspect that we will have our legitimate shots of a few winter storms in January; especially past mid-month, after a slight warmup in the second week of January. I also don't believe the modeled strength of next week's high pressure. I wouldn't be suprised if we get lucky next week (obviously I have nothing to back up that feeling). I think Mr. Chill is right when he said that there haven't been many high pressure systems that have been as strong as modeled. They seemed to vacate the northern tier of states pretty quickly in December.

This week gives me some hope for winter. These were all marginal situations that managed to over-perform in many spots (or in the case of this latest one come back from certain disaster) in a month that has been a blowtorch and mostly written-off. Last winter these would have all been drizzle or nothing but cloudy skies. Still 2.5 months left to get something substantial in here.

Archived