gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
December 20-22 Major Winter Storm Part 3

Hoosier

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how much more we will get in LAF (cue Tim with 'T')...gotta keep the door open in case a healthier band manages to swing through but probably safe to say less than 1" when all is said and done.

It turned out to be better than a T. Looks like somewhere around an inch, definitely shy of it though. Haven't gone out to do a measurement...kinda wicked out there still. :lol:

South and west of here look they made out pretty nicely though. I saw IND had 0.9" as of midnight, and it's been snowing since then.

Peak gust of 50 mph at LAF.

All in all, still a win. Looks, sounds, and feels like winter this morning. :)

1.9" at IND according to Randy Ollis on the WISH-TV morning news.

Rogue band going through LAF right now. Snowing decently.

I knew your T call for LAF was gonna bust haha. I also knew youd get more than DTW, but regardless its perfect to wake up on the first day of winter and see snow falling. I was looking at model qpf, thinking, no way does LAF get a T. Then again...I just cant figure out wtf happened in Chicago.

I knew your T call for LAF was gonna bust haha. I also knew youd get more than DTW, but regardless its perfect to wake up on the first day of winter and see snow falling. I was looking at model qpf, thinking, no way does LAF get a T. Then again...I just cant figure out wtf happened in Chicago.

Well I wasn't too far off...but yeah, I busted. Models were still too aggressive though, for here.

As for ORD, might be too much bad juju (e.g. too many people pulling for futility). ;)

Sault Ste. Marie is having a pretty good start to winter. Officially they have 10.3" with this event through midnight...which puts them at 47.6" for the season, 9.8" above normal. And much much much better than the 12.0" they had last year at this time. Report from media for there below...

0432 AM HEAVY SNOW SAULT STE. MARIE 46.48N 84.37W

12/21/2012 M16.0 INCH CHIPPEWA MI BROADCAST MEDIA

20 HR TOTAL THRU 5 AM.

Roughly 10 miles off the lake in Lindenhurst IL...1" of wet heavy snow ... Brutal

I mustered up about 1.2". (I'm west of Zion) 1" of crust and a little bit drier snow that fell after midnight.

Ground is pretty much white. Roads a bit icy.

---

Looks like Andy, no doubt was the winner in this subforum area! Cheers :pepsi: Andy!

Well I wasn't too far off...but yeah, I busted. Models were still too aggressive though, for here.

As for ORD, might be too much bad juju (e.g. too many people pulling for futility). ;)

Haha!

Too close to the low didn't help. I really think it came down to the fact the ground was so wet from all that rain, it just had a hard time sticking. UHI doesn't help either.

Little over 1"

post-4267-0-23617100-1356097025_thumb.jp

With exception of a storm just grazing SE MI, Oakland county can just do no wrong. You ALWAYS get the better/best snow totals in these smaller systems (although SW Oakland and NW Wayne seem to have done pretty well with that band training). Rooftops very white here and grass has a white pasting.

With exception of a storm just grazing SE MI, Oakland county can just do no wrong. You ALWAYS get the better/best snow totals in these smaller systems (although SW Oakland and NW Wayne seem to have done pretty well with that band training). Rooftops very white here and grass has a white pasting.

Looks Like Novi the big winner around here

live.jpg?system=mdot&webid=15965&size=full&pubtoken=d26925a350073712c80781bd9981c2d1&1356098649304

It turned out to be better than a T. Looks like somewhere around an inch, definitely shy of it though. Haven't gone out to do a measurement...kinda wicked out there still. :lol:

South and west of here look they made out pretty nicely though. I saw IND had 0.9" as of midnight, and it's been snowing since then.

Peak gust of 50 mph at LAF.

All in all, still a win. Looks, sounds, and feels like winter this morning. :)

Really couldn't ask for much more for us. Got some snow, ground at least covered and wicked wind. Made for an interesting drive into work this morning, snow blowing across 65 creating some hazardous conditions at times.

Definitely looks and feels like Christmas time now! :sled:

Totals for my area.

Snow: 21.4"

Liquid: 2.37"

Pretty much a perfect storm for this area. I've been thinking about it this morning and I can't think of anything I would have, personally, wanted to be better. 20"+ is pretty much as good as it gets for a storm total in this area. I'm going to dig around and see what the record 24 hour snowfall total is. I'm guessing we're pretty close.

When I woke up at 7am, we had a thin 0.1" layer of slushy snow on the rooftops/elevated surfaces and just spots of the grass, and those big fluffy flakes. Since then, this first day of winter has transformed into a snowy blowy day, complete with blowing snow swirling around. Its not a lot of snow, but its sure nice to see.

3302-800.jpg

3301-800.jpg

Archived