Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 20-22 Major Winter Storm Part 3

Hoosier

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with 2.3" after averaging two measurements on flat surfaces. Even though estimated snow maps showed more for my area, I'm not buying them. It was definitely around 2-3" here, hard to accumulate after all the heavy rain we received. I am happy it met my 2-4" prediction, and am not surprised Madison and areas just to the NE were the jackpot, this compared well to the December 2009 and December 2010 blizzards in the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes, though a tad south here as Minneapolis and La Crosse didn't get as much with this one.

Ended up with 2.3" after averaging two measurements on flat surfaces. Even though estimated snow maps showed more for my area, I'm not buying them. It was definitely around 2-3" here, hard to accumulate after all the heavy rain we received. I am happy it met my 2-4" prediction, and am not surprised Madison and areas just to the NE were the jackpot, this compared well to the December 2009 and December 2010 blizzards in the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes, though a tad south here as Minneapolis and La Crosse didn't get as much with this one.

Did you measure right after the storm or wait? Because in addition to being measured every 6 hours, snow will compact and settle after its fallen.

Did you measure right after the storm or wait? Because in addition to being measured every 6 hours, snow will compact and settle after its fallen.

Right at the end of the storm, only some flurries or very light snow was left falling around. I'm not the only one who doubts these totals; some people I have talked to were surprised to hear me say we even had 2-3 inches.

The suburb just to my west, Brookfield, measured 4", and the airport came in with 2.8". I suppose it's possible I lowballed it, but I'm decently confident. In the past when I've measured in these places, they were very close to the other local reports, and even though it snowed for awhile (about 8-10 hours), it was blowing around and seemed to have a difficult time accumulating. They also were relatively fine flakes for such a due snow due to the dendrites being ripped apart by the wind.

Archived