joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moving Through December - Changing Patterns and Changing Diapers

ChrisM

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed Carroll used to downplay like 90% of every snow event we got. He would make a 8-12" event sound like no big deal and try to concentrate on the sunny days to follow.

I feel like there are a lot of mets like that now. Matt Noyes is not like that though lol....I love watching him before a big storm. Pete is either all in or totally out a lot of the time, haha.

I feel like there are a lot of mets like that now. Matt Noyes is not like that though lol....I love watching him before a big storm. Pete is either all in or totally out a lot of the time, haha.

Will is right. Everything to him was a "quick passing" this to a "quick passing" that. Noyes is the opposite. He knows his stuff but weenies out too much.

Well I don't pay as close attention as much as I used to...Harvey was always very real about it. He would start honking when it was time most of the time...and downplayed when it needed to be. Burbank too. They have all had their busts of course, but no meteorologist alive hasn't had them...if they tell you different, they aren't honest, lol.

Carroll downplayed a lot. I probably was biased against that considering I was/am a huge snow weenie growing up.

Well I don't pay as close attention as much as I used to...Harvey was always very real about it. He would start honking when it was time most of the time...and downplayed when it needed to be. Burbank too. They have all had their busts of course, but no meteorologist alive hasn't had them...if they tell you different, they aren't honest, lol.

Carroll downplayed a lot. I probably was biased against that considering I was/am a huge snow weenie growing up.

Yeah exactly...were all biased on here. And in the end its probably better to play it safe rather then be too bullish...as much as a certain someone from Tolland may disagree.

I'm from Tolland and I agree! It typically pays off to take the cautious route when dealing with the public.

I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed anyways! :snowwindow:

I like the ballz to the wall approach, shoot for the moon settle for a pop fly. Not that anything said here matters to the GP.

Yeah exactly...were all biased on here. And in the end its probably better to play it safe rather then be too bullish...as much as a certain someone from Tolland may disagree.

Yeah...over hyping doesn't work. Otherwise you create the boy who cried wolf syndrome.

You don't want to under hype either otherwise people go out not expecting any big deal. There's a happy medium in there.

Actually listened to NOAA weather radio during Sandy, brought back a lot of memories of laying in bed with the transistor radio listening to every word. The hourly reports from Hotel buoy were my favorite, noting wind shifts there first. Marine forecasts were the best because there were so many. , embedded in my brain 45 years later....for waters 25 miles south of Long Island.....

Actually listened to NOAA weather radio during Sandy, brought back a lot of memories of laying in bed with the transistor radio listening to every word. The hourly reports from Hotel buoy were my favorite, noting wind shifts there first. Marine forecasts were the best because there were so many. , embedded in my brain 45 years later....for waters 25 miles south of Long Island.....

God do I remember my NOAA weather radio...listening to it late it night when my parents thought I was asleep. When there were storms I'd keep it under my pillow and turn it on during the night. I finally threw it away a few years ago.

As we enjoy (or not...your preference) a couple of unseasonably warm days coming up, it could be worse. Check our the SYR temps a little after mignight on a cold December night 11 years ago:

http://www.wundergro...ilyHistory.html

I remember that warm spell...was out in Ithaca for that doing by junior year at Cornell.

There was a very good snow event 2 days later for SNE, lol.

"From Cape Henlopen to Manasquan Inlet and 25 nautical miles offshore..."

"Traveler's Advisory..."

"Heavy snow warning..."

Some things we don't hear anymore but I can remember like it was yesterday.

As we enjoy (or not...your preference) a couple of unseasonably warm days coming up, it could be worse. Check our the SYR temps a little after mignight on a cold December night 11 years ago:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KSYR/2001/12/6/DailyHistory.html

This is better

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KSYR/1934/2/8/DailyHistory.html

"From Cape Henlopen to Manasquan Inlet and 25 nautical miles offshore..."

"Traveler's Advisory..."

"Heavy snow warning..."

Some things we don't hear anymore but I can remember like it was yesterday.

Travelers advisory was another death knell for me, a pity forecast for the screw zones. The radio was all we had during 78, those obs were crazy, Hotel buoy reporting 30 foot waves with winds steady at 45 gusting to 90,,, an archive of. Them must be interesting to look back on. I often fell asleep with mine on and when the batteries failed stole them from my brothers toys.

Ironic and so funny, the last time prior to Sandy listen to 162.55Mhz was during a blizzard a few years back. Tend to break-out all the tools when a major event is unfolding. My first wx radio had to be back in the 60's. Severe alerts before the internet. Today there is so much information. Tried and true always will prevail.

:thumbsup:

Things looking pretty nice for you northern guys heading into mid-dec..models still show solid above average temps into the northeast for that 7-12th period on average, but I'd guess new england ends up trending cooler with a tendency to hold onto that pesky low level cold like you did this weekend. Though aboves arent impossible in such a pattern either. even if there is snow up there (see dec 2007)... hopefully SNE can get in on the wintry precip fun in that period too, and not just NNE..

Despite a solid upgrade in residence from central NJ to stamford, CT, I'm likely still in the change to rain camp with HM and the mid-Atl folk in this type of pattern, but lets see how it plays out.

I used to put the radio on my bed so I could put my ear right next to the speaker and parents wouldn't hear it.

...forecast for the offshore waters south of New England out to 1000 fathoms, including the waters south of Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket island...

What was really great in those pre-internet days (pre wx channel, pre-everything) was the NOAA Weather radio broadcasts would upate the conditions at area airports every hour AND give an oral description of the radar image. They also gave quite a number of Marine reports. I remember learning terms lke "Execution Rocks" and "New London Ledge".

PS Weather radio is still on the nightstand. We also blew the dust off and turned it on after Sandy.

Things looking pretty nice for you northern guys heading into mid-dec..models still show solid above average temps into the northeast for that 7-12th period on average, but I'd guess new england ends up trending cooler with a tendency to hold onto that pesky low level cold like you did this weekend. Though aboves arent impossible in such a pattern either. even if there is snow up there (see dec 2007)... hopefully SNE can get in on the wintry precip fun in that period too, and not just NNE..

Despite a solid upgrade in residence from central NJ to stamford, CT, I'm likely still in the change to rain camp with HM and the mid-Atl folk in this type of pattern, but lets see how it plays out.

You can see how the GFS op really hits that gradient pattern. I know it's the op run, but it has some nice examples on this run.

Archived