joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Looking towards the beginning of December

CoastalWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a few days ago the Euro was advertising an impressive polar plunge this week, Friday will certainly be chilly but nothing like advertised originally. Looks like we just need to get through the next two weeks and hopefully things turn around as we head into the holidays, I feel good about a white Christmas this year!

until Dec 10. Then good. Ride HM ideas

Hmm...that's the date I told you when you were pimpin' the 5th..lol.

Maybe we sneak something in before then, but the pattern is one that drives down cold into the west and heights rise in the east. We'll have to hope one of these cutters can usher in the cold and set us up for a SWFE. Otherwise, I'm not a big fan of what I see. The GEFS have been the most weenis-ish and even they are being pushed back. SWFE aren't seen well..so lets just hope for that.

Next two weeks look meh. I hate the fact we can't grab a -NAO.

I think the La Niña-like gradient idea over a full blown torch is the way to lean although I admit this one is tough. LIke I said before, this is the first December in a while that wasn't clear cut. I don't mean to be so "just keep waiting for the -NAO" but the next -NAO tendency period comes as we move into January based on tropical and solar data. This may also link up with the ongiong stratospheric changes. .... but none of this saves early December haha.

until Dec 10. Then good. Ride HM ideas

lol... just keep things in perspective please. I was never and I'm still not forecasting anything major here but I do think threats will emerge in between warm shots mid-december. The dates, as usual, are guesswork and occasionally I get them right.

Check out the total reversal of the GOA Low on the 6z GEFS.

This reversal is around the 10th of December, which is a date that multiple mets have been honing on for the past week.

f276.gif

GEFS have been doing this for a week, but of course they change their tune as you get closer. A compromise GEFS/EC would be good here in SNE, so lets hope for sometime around or after the 10th...but I'm not holding my breath.

The one good thing we have going up here, is that crappy lows coming in from the Ohio Valley are hard to see so far out, so I'm hoping we can pop something from the cold air in the wake of any cutter. The tropics show subtle signs of trying to emerge at the very end of their range, but MJO convection can be difficult to model.

November has def been a great start to the cold season. I believe one we will never forget

NYC -3.9 4.7 of snow

Ewr -3.5 6.6 of snow

Bdr -2.8 8.4 of snow

Orh -0.8 7.8 of snow

Bos -2.3 0.4 of snow

Bdl -2.3 2.9 of snow

Pvd -2.1 1.3 inches

:snowing:

Easily forgetable here, but I know it's different there. Best cold and dry November evah.

Easily forgetable here, but I know it's different there. Best cold and dry November evah.

It wasn't epic here either. We had two snow events, but we average like 3" of snow in November anyway. It was cold and snowy for November standards though...just not epic compared to climo like down in parts of NJ or SW CT.

CFS is a little torchy for the first week of december:

post-218-0-26464200-1354115079_thumb.png

I just had a flashback to late last November. That map is pretty hideous. If I see a deep, persistent vortex start to appear near the GOA....

Not long ago the consensus seemed to be a pattern change in the first part of December to cold, relaxing towards Xmas, reloading in January. The pattern creep seems to be occurring. Hoping for the best such a shame to waste what was a cold November with a warm early December.

Archived