Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November 27th - 28th Snow Potential

Ice Warrior commander

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The profiles are marginal enough in a lot of areas that if the precip comes down heavy, its going to overcome it. But that is the $64 million question....if its "steady" snow but not heavy, it could be that 35F non-accumulating snow.

Along the water...it might be tough. It does look mild in the lower 1500ft. However, back by Bob..it does look better. It's probably going to be one of those things where you need to get away from the water a few miles.

If somehow you really get into strong echoes, than maybe you have a 34F snow or something. I think even for interior SE MA...the precip rates will determine any accumulation. 2SM -SN will not cut it.

Thanks guys.

From previous experience - albeit with stronger storms, it's pretty hard for it to snow here this early. I could see it accumulating back along Rte 495 by the 195 interchange. That's often the cutoff.

However if this is a weaker system without much wind it could snow with these precip rates. Will probably remembers a thanksgiving period event in 03 or 04 in which we had a few inches down here with a weaker system.

Eh, thats pretty warm in the lower 1000-1500 feet in the afternoon...but it does look like they would flip to snow toward evening. A lot of course would precip intensity dependent.

Well freezing level was 1000 ft at the start but quickly dropped to 450, I would assume that's a snow sounding at saturation. Granted right on the water and yea you can see as good omega moves in the level drops.

Well freezing level was 1000 ft at the start but quickly dropped to 450, I would assume that's a snow sounding at saturation. Granted right on the water and yea you can see as good omega moves in the level drops.

You sure you are not looking at meters? The frz level on the soundings I'm looking at are mostly in the 1,300-1,800 foot range which is generally a bit too warm. It does fall under 1,000 feet later toward evening.

Its difficult to get snow to reach the surface when the freezing level is 1,500 feet or higher, so that is kind of a benchmark value to look for. But these are model soundings...and if the precip falls heavy, they generally won't cool the column enough.

You sure you are not looking at meters? The frz level on the soundings I'm looking at are mostly in the 1,300-1,800 foot range which is generally a bit too warm. It does fall under 1,000 feet later toward evening.

Its difficult to get snow to reach the surface when the freezing level is 1,500 feet or higher, so that is kind of a benchmark value to look for. But these are model soundings...and if the precip falls heavy, they generally won't cool the column enough.

From Plymouth KGON sounding data text at 27 freezing level 496 feet

From Plymouth KGON sounding data text at 27 freezing level 496 feet

Oh right, at 27 hours...that is 10pm tomorrow evening. I was talking about the afternoon when that WAA snow is going along the south coast.

It still may be snow if it comes down hard. But it just shows that precip intensity will be important.

Archived