• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy Pics/Video Thread

MCS

How bad did it damage the house? Everyone alright?

Thanks for asking. 70 year old Mom is ok but was shaken up a bit. Two trees hit the house, a big old oak and a large pine of some type. The oak glanced off the front (and blocked the door so she could not get out). The pine hit the house square right above her bed and the radiating arms stuck the thing to the house like a pincushion. Three of the radial branches went all the way through the attic and through the ceiling drywall into the bedroom. My mom said she shrieked and her cat and dog jumped 4' in the air. I'm sure it was a funny sight except for the damage. The fire Marshall (acting as Emergency management out there) said the cinder block construction of the house saved her life. It took the FD an hour to chainsaw their way to the front door.

House needs a new roof but the fact that the pine stuck to the house (instead of rolling off) saved it from water damage. Silver lining, I guess. All this after I told her,"you are south and west of me and the track of the center so you'll get less wind than me". Weather prediction is only a job for the humble...

The heavy wet snow split one of my trees three ways just missing my Davis VP2 equipment. This happened on Tuesday. I just got home from a business trip and took the pictures today. It was wierd coming home from Houston were it was almost 90 yesterday to seeing huge piles of snow in parking lots and along driveways.

post-106-0-63306600-1351907819_thumb.jpg

That video is insane. To capture all of that on video within the span of a minute...wow.

i can't tell what's more crazy, the trees falling or how close the tree was to crushing that car. that was a wild vid...must have been a helluva gust to knock those trees down like that.

Archived