• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Hurricane Sandy OBS

SquatchinNY

I can confirm that this is true, I am listening to FDNY Manhattan Fire Dispatch and they have a building collapse at 92 8th Avenue. They thought they had firefighters trapped but all are accounted for at this time

Also, there are reports of severe flooding in lower manhattan with transformers exploding.

Yup, here is a pic. Basically, the whole front of the building came off.

collapsed.jpg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine going through the eyewall of a cat 4/5 hurricane. This is nothing compared to that. People down south would call this a weak storm. I know it isn't for us, but to them this would not be a big deal.

They don't have oak trees that weigh tons.

How long is this gonna last?

All depends where your at, for LI and the City, one would have to think at-least the next 3 hrs, banding is somewhat epic out of OKX, ABC7's Kim backing up for a 3rd time, and she has ~company worth of fire/police near her. 10min ob from the battery shows sig rise by the minutes, scary. Turquoise sky seen by millions underscores the catastrophic disruption being done to the grid. ET transition is complete, very large maxima, ~6-10pm should be the worst of it for NYC, several more hours.

post-382-0-11200600-1351551978_thumb.jpg

OMG. A huge gust of wind just knocked down the telephone poll right outside of our house, it collapsed onto the wires, and huge sparks were right outside our window. Probably the scariest two seconds of my life. Telephone wires are down, we called the town, and we're probably without power for a week. There's a dangling wire right in front of our house. That must have been at least 80mph.

OMG. A huge gust of wind just knocked down the telephone poll right outside of our house, it collapsed onto the wires, and huge sparks were right outside our window. Probably the scariest two seconds of my life. Telephone wires are down, we called the town, and we're probably without power for a week. There's a dangling wire right in front of our house. That must have been at least 80mph.

Watch out! Call 911 immediately, that wire has to be live!

It is a big deal for this area, but for Florida it would be nothing. They laugh at cat 1 canes down there. We're wimps up here.

I am no weather expert, but understand that this is not a typical Florida hurricane. It has more in common with The Perfect Storm, which occurred out at sea.

There are actually two storms, the hurricane, encircled and encased by a "noreaster". So, instead of passing thru, it will have much longer winds, lasting up to 12 hours.

The ground up north is very different than in Florida, soggy ground, trees unaccustomed to the wind direction, the vast spread of the storm - two totally different animals.

Cleveland Airport has shut down, Lake Superior and Lake Michigan are predicted to have 25 to 35 foot waves.

Anyone remember The Edmund Fitzgerald? This is a monster storm, a freak of nature. What the category # given has nothing to do with it!

Lee Goldberg just reported that the latest advisory said it was still offshore of Cape May and extratropical but that it hadn't made landfall yet. I'm wondering if that could be because it lost its tropical characteristics and eyewall that it had earlier.

Did Sandy make landfall? It looks like she is stalling just before making landfall.

Lee Goldberg just reported that the latest advisory said it was still offshore of Cape May and extratropical but that it hadn't made landfall yet. I'm wondering if that could be because it lost its tropical characteristics and eyewall that it had earlier.

basically he said & NWS confirmed in latest advisory that low & the hurricane phased. Likely the phasing has a.) caused the storm to slow after stacking upb.) there is no longer the old hurricane eye but a larger NJ sized circulation

Archived