Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Sandy - LIVE - Meteorological Discussion

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been right where you are! Beautiful place isn't it! Did you meet the Unbelievable guy?

On your travel matter... If at all possible try and call daily or once every two days to your Airline and get a status update. The Airport at Provo does not have the facilities to keep airliners there for more than overnight. Most likely there are going to have to take the planes out and bring them back in after the storm. I see by your avatar info box that you live in NJ. I'm guessing you flew American from JFK or the other airline (which escapes me) from Newark. If that's the case then if Sandy decides to visit the east coast your stuck, because all your planes and crews are grounded. If you flew American, consider asking the airline to put you on the flight to Miami on Saturday, at least that will get you back in the US. If all else fails consider just flying Air Canada to Toronto, you have your passport. Try airline codeshares, and talk with your airline about your options. Going back and forth to the airport is going to be very very pricy depending where on this island you are. So save a trip to the airport whenever possible.

Otherwise, buckle down and have fun!

It is beautifull even in this weather. Guess its not going to be much fun once the storm starts cranking up. As of right now I think we are going to stay put and hope everything works out on Saturday they can fly around the storm if they have to. Sounds like this is going to be a great story of a honeymoon! I hope the winds don't get to crazy and they keep the lights on. Going to go enjoy what we can of this wil post updates when we are stuck in our room because of the weather.

Looks like HPC went ECMWF/ECMWF mean again today. This is an eastward shift in their guidance since yesterday morning due to trends seen in the ECMWF over that time period. NHC's track has been subtly shifting left with the GFS guidance, as should be expected since half of their guidance is GFS-based, so NHC's and HPC's ideas concerning Sandy are converging. Convergence in the deterministic guidance upon a common solution appears to have begun. Let's see how long it takes the strong deterministic guidance to give us a more realistic center pressure, somewhere in the neighborhood of the 960s, as it passes near/by/through New England. My guess is that it will take another couple days.

Sounds about right in the middle of Noreaster27's its definitly going way out to sea and some of the doom mega low talk in the NE subforum.

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM SANDY ADVISORY NUMBER 6

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012

500 PM EDT TUE OCT 23 2012

...HURRICANE WARNING ISSUED FOR EASTERN CUBA...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...14.3N 77.6W

ABOUT 260 MI...420 KM SSW OF KINGSTON JAMAICA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH...85 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 20 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...993 MB...29.32 INCHES

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* JAMAICA

* CUBAN PROVINCES OF CAMAGUEY...LAS TUNAS...GRANMA...SANTIAGO DE

CUBA...HOLGUIN...AND GUANTANAMO

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* HAITI

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* THE BAHAMAS

Diurnal min.

What does that have to do with the price of beans?

Even with all the convection it had earlier today, it still looks like it couldn't do anything internally.

Additionally, established tropical cyclones don't usually tend to feel the max and min as much as a disturbance would.

Recon will be in shortly. I have a feeling that the FL and surface centers still may be displaced.

ir-animated.gif

The LLC looks to be a bit (one-tenth of a degree) W of the NHC track as of 00Z...my original analysis and 50-kt peak-intensity forecast in the Caribbean looks good due to strong, increasing shear displacing the mid- and low-level centers from each other. Even if the wind field expands, most of the winds west of the center will be gradient- rather than TC-related over the next three days. Given the likelihood that most convection will be east of the center within this time frame, FL should avoid sustained TS winds and the Bahamian impact may be less than expected. I certainly think a hurricane seems unlikely in Jamaica or Cuba. Due to the weaker intensity, the track may bend one- or two-tenths of a degree west of the official path over the next 48 hours.

Edit: Reconnaissance data are reporting 46° winds near 16.0N 78.2W...suggesting a center maybe as far as two-tenths west of the NHC track.

microwave looks impressive though... no?

The appearance is superficial...the strong convection is related to net surface flux that is occurring east of the center in the upward movement and vorticity provided by a jet maximum...while low-level dry air (stratocumuli) and mid-tropospheric shear are displacing the LLC to the west of the well-defined MLC that you see in the image. Furthermore, the overall structure of the storm is still tilted and is increasingly developing a comma-like convective pattern east of the LLC along a SSW-NNE axis. This shape is indicative of increasing vertical wind shear and does not indicate a rapidly intensifying system...more likely, it indicates stability or weakening, or the beginning of a transition (due to lower 700-mb relative humidity being transferred into the core via advection from the NW) beginning in the next 12 hours. Note the sharp edge on the N and W sides of the convection that currently comprises the MLC. Due to the structural changes, Sandy might take on a hybrid-type structure or characteristics within 24 hours after leaving Jamaica, though it will likely retain a warm core for a few additional days thereafter. I think ET transition might occur 12+ hours earlier than shown by the NHC at the end of the five-day track.

The appearance is superficial...the strong convection is related to net surface flux that is occurring east of the center in the upward movement and vorticity provided by a jet maximum...while low-level dry air (stratocumuli) and mid-tropospheric shear are displacing the LLC to the west of the well-defined MLC that you see in the image.

991.2 mb EXTRAP in about the location of the well-defined MLC.

are the centers still displaced (por favor)? per recon

you know " the curse of this years tropical systems"

Two observations from this Atlantic tropical season:

1.) Tropical systems never strengthened as quickly as progged.

2.) Tropical systems have moved further west with respect to landfall with successive model runs.

Archived