• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Wonderdog

I don't know about that... For folks away from the coast and not on creeks - and particularly for those inside DC/Balt cities, I don't see why this should be any more than a couple of rainy, breezy days - just over a wider area than usual. Or am I missing something?

** B G E

Not equipped nor capable of handling a massive power outage.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i guess dr maeu was wrong with hurr warnings from maine to nc. not shocking at all. wink.png

Heh. But in all seriousness, seems like a bit of a boneheaded decision. Either change the designation now or hoist the warnings. We're going to have a deepening 80mph hurricane nearing the coastline with no headlines? Just odd.

Heh. But in all seriousness, seems like a bit of a boneheaded decision. Either change the designation now or hoist the warnings. We're going to have a deepening 80mph hurricane nearing the coastline with no headlines? Just odd.

Highly agree... and even some mets are questioning it on all forums... just seems silly

That would screw nyc and us. impressive image.

the best solution for everyone :D

was debating whether to head back to DC but I think NYC will see worse conditions... more rain in DC but surge/winds for NYC. can't wait to stay at my friend's in evac zone B in the west village... will be lovely to see the hudson come say hello!

That would screw nyc and us. impressive image.

I'm still trying to get my head around what a GFS/EURO blend (i.e. landfall between Ocean City MD and Atlantic City, NJ) would look like in terms of sensible weather for the DC-Balt corridor. Can anyone enlighten me - or at least clarify whether this would be "something special" or just a couple of days of cold windy rain to make the commute slightly slower?

I guess one of the brightspots is that even with a stronger and further south solution that the gfs shows, the Chesapeake will be pretty much spared any serious flooding threats. Peak wind window is mostly n-nw. If anything, water will be blown out of the bay with very low tides.

I think that is the good news. The gusts and prolonged heavy rains do suggest lots of prolonged power outages as the power companies aren't going to have crews work on clearing trees and limbs off of lines unless the winds die enough to make it safe. That is a big problem over much of the east. The gfs even gives plenty of wind into bos.

I guess one of the brightspots is that even with a stronger and further south solution that the gfs shows, the Chesapeake will be pretty much spared any serious flooding threats. Peak wind window is mostly n-nw. If anything, water will be blown out of the bay with very low tides.

I am more concerned that the days and days of heavy rains in PA and WV will cause flooding in the Potomac and Susquehanna.

That was the main issue with Agnes. The Conowingo Dam was almost breached.

Archived