joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Wonderdog

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could we see TS Watches/Warnings from NHC up here? Or will they likely be handled by local WFOs with wind advisories and high wind warnings?

Given they restrengthen to hurricane I'd think some areas would get hurricane watches/warnings if it doesn't flop. Maue irresponsibly tweeted that Maine to NC would get them which doesn't seem at all logical based on the forecast.

That inversion looks strong enough to put a sizable damper on any winds that try to mix down.

This, I've been looking at the bufkit output from the GFS and that inversion kills any seriously damaging winds that want to come down.

Edit: Although with the amount of force at play, it mechanical forces might do the trick in isolated spots.

Given they restrengthen to hurricane I'd think some areas would get hurricane watches/warnings if it doesn't flop. Maue irresponsibly tweeted that Maine to NC would get them which doesn't seem at all logical based on the forecast.

True... we havent had hurricane warnings up in our area in a long time... I believe Isabel was the last time Hurricane Watches or warnings made it up into the Chesapeake Bay or Tidal Potomac

I think there'll be an extension up to the mouth of the bay at least by 11.

SmartCast Update: 27/01Z – 28/01Z

Currently Tracking for the next 24 hours two areas. Melbourne/Daytona Beach Zone with potential for wind gusts up to 45-50mph from now through 05Z. Next area is the Wilmington and Cherry Point Areas with heavy rainfall accumulations of 1.28 to 1.8” through 28 at 01Z. Seeing heavy rain accumulations beginning around 17-18Z, with convection and with winds up to 35mph and hourly rain accumulation of around .20” per hour to start.

SmartCast Output: http://smartwxmodel.net/update.htm

I think there'll be an extension up to the mouth of the bay at least by 11.

I'm not sold they'll put up hurricane watches as its pretty marginal tho I kinda think that's why they forecast it back there before landfall .. So they can.

Archived