Gonzalo00
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Siberian snow cover expanding rather abruptly

cursnow.gif

Me thinks that the upcoming WPO pattern with the high-lat blocking on the other side of the pole may bode well for siberian snow cover advancement...I'm not certain obviously, but it appears the west pac october pattern has had a role when looking at the below average versus above average advancement years (granted, were dealing with that tiny sample size here)

P.S. the pattern projected by the european ensembles over the next 15 days reminds me very much of mid-late January earlier this year.

The color differences across the state are amazing. Toward UConn and Blizz's direction things look pretty good. Then you get into the CT valley on 84 in Hartford and it looks like August still. Then, toward my house in Harwinton the color is either at peak, and in some cases past (bare leaves). Unbelievable.

Starting with the CT valley in Hartford, probably what 150' ASL?

post-640-0-54217600-1349473815_thumb.jpg

Then moving into Harwinton around 800' or so...

post-640-0-62377100-1349473845_thumb.jpg

Then Lake Harwinton at about 950'

post-640-0-30038700-1349473867_thumb.jpg

Then finally the highest point in town about .25 miles up the road at a little over 1120'. Notice the bare trees.

post-640-0-50856700-1349473894_thumb.jpg

Cool differences, definitely two different seasons just a short drive away.

I know that, but it's pretty obvious when you drive through the valley for 15 miles and it's almost completely green the whole time and then once you get up into the hills green is extremely hard to find.

Except kevin's oaks.

I wonder what trees those are that are bare?

Except kevin's oaks.

I wonder what trees those are that are bare?

Not sure, not a tree guy. At school I live in an apartment complex LOADED with oaks...it still looks like summer there too. It's basically 90%+ oaks...it's kind of funny to drive down the road 500 feet and see how different it looks. Glad I'm home this weekend though, temperature aside it just feels and looks like fall around here. Smell of wet leaves is STRONG.

I figure that house has to average about 75" a year.

Yikes--looks like the pit got to 71.7 today. Awful. Guess I'll be returning to a less awful high of 66.

About to join a 5k roadrace as part of my conference. What idiot thought that having a race at 6:30 would be a good idea? Plus, 35* makes it sound really enticing.

Deicing for my 6:00a.m. flight tomorrow?

Tonight: Cloudy. Areas of drizzle...slight chance of rain and snow showers in the evening...then a chance of snow...areas of light freezing drizzle and fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening becoming light. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Saturday: Snow likely in the morning...then a chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the upper 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent.

Archived