Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you look at the long range drought monitor map you can pretty well see where CPC thinks the main storm track is going to set up through December. SWFE for you guys? If it is what it is, sure looks like the lower midwest thru northern NE could really cash in... I hope me posting on this forum isn't pissing you guys off but there's a lot of knowledge here and I think I've learned more on this one than any other...

post-1834-0-44849500-1349477491_thumb.gi

Yikes--looks like the pit got to 71.7 today. Awful. Guess I'll be returning to a less awful high of 66.

About to join a 5k roadrace as part of my conference. What idiot thought that having a race at 6:30 would be a good idea? Plus, 35* makes it sound really enticing.

Deicing for my 6:00a.m. flight tomorrow?

Tonight: Cloudy. Areas of drizzle...slight chance of rain and snow showers in the evening...then a chance of snow...areas of light freezing drizzle and fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph in the evening becoming light. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.

Saturday: Snow likely in the morning...then a chance of snow showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs in the upper 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph. Chance of snow 60 percent.

I guess here it hit 69.9F lol

Lots of those nasty bugs though

I also wonder what those large trees are. Pretty to see them yellow.

From this disance, they look like sugar maples. And the leafless ones might be white ash, always among the first to disrobe.

Peak color around the house. I was in the woods (brush was very wet thru mid-aft) north of Bigelow, and they're a bit past peak with considerable leaf drop. It's also 1,100' or higher there. Aspens are in their full yellows, with some orange for bigtooth aspen. Having that tree family offers two separate leaf peaks, first for the maples and birches, second for the poplar famly. Oaks "color" about the same time as aspen, but only white oak (rare up here) and pinoak (not native here though often planted) have fall colors worth noting.

lol... yep deserved.

That's a nice little event for you in the middle of the winter. Quick hitting advisory level snow. Unfortunately, this time the advisory level snow would be falling at 3-5K feet, lol.

Yeah Scott, Move it forward 2 moths and it would be a nice 3-5" event, I would take those all day long

From this disance, they look like sugar maples. And the leafless ones might be white ash, always among the first to disrobe.

Peak color around the house. I was in the woods (brush was very wet thru mid-aft) north of Bigelow, and they're a bit past peak with considerable leaf drop. It's also 1,100' or higher there. Aspens are in their full yellows, with some orange for bigtooth aspen. Having that tree family offers two separate leaf peaks, first for the maples and birches, second for the poplar famly. Oaks "color" about the same time as aspen, but only white oak (rare up here) and pinoak (not native here though often planted) have fall colors worth noting.

Yeah ash are the first to go. We had an ash and the thing was always first to get nude. Colors are really nice this year.

lol... yep deserved.

That's a nice little event for you in the middle of the winter. Quick hitting advisory level snow. Unfortunately, this time the advisory level snow would be falling at 3-5K feet, lol.

Ray drinking shots while spooning the toaster in the tub while I post 6" of paste type event.

:lol:

We haven't really had a Ray meltdown event like that. In October 2011, he said he was screwed 4 hours in and went out drinking at a Halloween party, lol. In Feb 2010 he was already resigned to the winter being over.

But def another Dec 1996 when optimism is at high levels would be a classic.

We haven't really had a Ray meltdown event like that. In October 2011, he said he was screwed 4 hours in and went out drinking at a Halloween party, lol. In Feb 2010 he was already resigned to the winter being over.

But def another Dec 1996 when optimism is at high levels would be a classic.

Well SSTA and QBO might say '96-'97 is in play lol.

I would love a Ray meltdown. I don't know if you saw earlier last week, but I posted classic weenie posts from Kevin from 12/19/10. I had a little time so I went through the treads from December again. Kevin was really being a whiny weenie, asking why he wastes so much time on this hobby and how that winter will suck. Little did he know he'd have one of the best winters ever.

Well SSTA and QBO might say '96-'97 is in play lol.

I would love a Ray meltdown. I don't know if you saw earlier last week, but I posted classic weenie posts from Kevin from 12/19/10. I had a little time so I went through the treads from December again. Kevin was really being a whiny weenie, asking why he wastes so much time on this hobby and how that winter will suck. Little did he know he'd have one of the best winters ever.

15482h3.jpg

Those two systems both had TSSN. I was pretty happy seeing lightning in my last period class in HS from the first system. What a paste bomb that first one was.

Yeah I remmeber the forecast for the first one was 1-4" in the "highest terrain" which meant mostly the hills around us and not a lot of ORH proper at 550-700 feet...I was kinda of disappointed. On winter hill if I was there back then, it would have meant 1-4" of snow...but I was expecting a sloppy coating to an inch. Then we got 9-10" of paste. Then the 2nd system was progged to almost come out of nowhere and they said it would be down to the wire whether ORH would be snow or not. They weren't wrong as the rain line got to 495 and then a bit beyond, but we stayed all snow. We went from 1-4" at most 12 hours before to 26" in less than 36 hours.

Yeah I remmeber the forecast for the first one was 1-4" in the "highest terrain" which meant mostly the hills around us and not a lot of ORH proper at 550-700 feet...I was kinda of disappointed. On winter hill if I was there back then, it would have meant 1-4" of snow...but I was expecting a sloppy coating to an inch. Then we got 9-10" of paste. Then the 2nd system was progged to almost come out of nowhere and they said it would be down to the wire whether ORH would be snow or not. They weren't wrong as the rain line got to 495 and then a bit beyond, but we stayed all snow. We went from 1-4" at most 12 hours before to 26" in less than 36 hours.

I feel like something like that will happen sooner rather than later. Perhaps not as intense, but it's coming. That November also had a weenie snow event to the south of the city too.

That system is a great example of how muhc of a bust could happen even in 1996 versus now. It would never be 1-4" for the whole thing nowadays for people who think models are better now. But it still probably would have been a bust. Feb 2010 was a pretty big bust too...the TV forecasts going for 1-3" and then 11" of paste later. However, the NWS was much better in that and didn't get scared from the Feb 10, 2010 bust.

Forecasting like that is really tough...and brings out the nerves. Especially following a bust.

That system is a great example of how muhc of a bust could happen even in 1996 versus now. It would never be 1-4" for the whole thing nowadays for people who think models are better now. But it still probably would have been a bust. Feb 2010 was a pretty big bust too...the TV forecasts going for 1-3" and then 11" of paste later. However, the NWS was much better in that and didn't get scared from the Feb 10, 2010 bust.

Forecasting like that is really tough...and brings out the nerves. Especially following a bust.

Euro FTW on that one.

I feel like something like that will happen sooner rather than later. Perhaps not as intense, but it's coming. That November also had a weenie snow event to the south of the city too.

Nov 1996 was pretty cold...esp late...we had a powdery 1.5" the day before Thanksgiving and it made it a white Thanksgiving. The high on Thanksgiving was 24F. Nov 1996 finished -3.5 here.

Euro FTW on that one.

Yeah except the changeover in mid-morning. Euro said we'd stay all snow...but overall it def won. The NAM was an epic disaster in that one. I remember you and I were talking about the weenie Euro maps with the 900mb temps showing 0C just south of ORH and -1C over like Princeton in that...total red flag for a paste bomb.

Archived