• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
End of September/Early October banter/disco.

CoastalWx

Where'd you see that? I can't seem to find any info on it.

Not surprising. It is the season to blow out the mice and make some marketing snow.

I'm hoping to get on skis sooner rather than later if we can get 6 hours of 29-30 degrees at 1,500-2,000ft... ;)

Of course. Look at Line Skis facebook. That's where I found it.

http://www.facebook.com/lineskis

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually PF I just found it on Magic's facebook, apparently it was on Sept. 16th.

Magic Mountain Ski Area

September 16

Only because you said "yes please"...earliest September snowmaking Magic Mountain Ski Area !

I have this sneaking feeling they weren't actually making snow though, and just testing the guns...and then they spun it into seeming like they were actually making snow. I dont know...

Some friends from the Transylvanian Alps in Romania sent a couple pictures of their first mountain-top snow of the season. Each year in Stowe we get a group of Romanian exchange students to work in the tourism industry, but anyway, they know how much I like snow... they also have no idea how jealous I am that they got snow first.

Actually PF I just found it on Magic's facebook, apparently it was on Sept. 16th.

Magic Mountain Ski Area

September 16

Only because you said "yes please"...earliest September snowmaking Magic Mountain Ski Area !

I have this sneaking feeling they weren't actually making snow though, and just testing the guns...and then they spun it into seeming like they were actually making snow. I dont know...

Yeah well judging by the height of that sun, I doubt that was snow coming out of those guns. That looks like the middle of the day or something.

I've taken pictures (i'll try to find one) of us testing guns at like 50F and they spray such a fine mist that you can't tell if its snow or not. Its just weird because I never heard about that through the normal channels and usually when someone makes snow in the east this early in the season it makes some waves in the media.

Oh, all that stuff about Magic Mtn was last week. They were just testing their new pipes they laid. You should check out their website. Neat story about how the area is being saved.

http://www.savemagicvermont.com/

Yeah...I've never been there but I've heard it's actually a cool place to ski...hopefully they can keep it together. Those facebook posts definitely spun it into sounding like they were actually making snow though, not just testing out the lines. I'm pretty sure the place where I work blew the lines out a month ago and didn't post anything about it lol.

Yeah...I've never been there but I've heard it's actually a cool place to ski...hopefully they can keep it together. Those facebook posts definitely spun it into sounding like they were actually making snow though, not just testing out the lines. I'm pretty sure the place where I work blew the lines out a month ago and didn't post anything about it lol.

It's the best kept secret for steeps.

Well it depends if its snow coming out or just water, lol.

I'd expect if some place tested its system (like all mountains do) and there was actual snow forming and turning the ground white, that's when you get a decent media response. Even if its just a test, the fact that you're making the ground white leads to some nice photo opportunities in the fall.

You can make snow and test the lines... its what a lot of spots like Killington and Sunday River do... if you are going to be spending money pumping water around the mountain, you might as well do it on a cold night and put down a strip of white and take some photos for the marketing potential.

Have just had a 2 minute burst of frozen precipitation. I assume it has to be hail, even though there's no wind???

54/41

Yeah these little low topped graupel showers are popping up all over the place. Especially with the dry air near the surface it shouldn't be that hard to get the frozen cores down to the surface. The freezing level is quite low with H85 around +1C, so its not surprising we are getting reports of pellets mixed in with these isolated showers.

Yeah these little low topped graupel showers are popping up all over the place. Especially with the dry air near the surface it shouldn't be that hard to get the frozen cores down to the surface. The freezing level is quite low with H85 around +1C, so its not surprising we are getting reports of pellets mixed in with these isolated showers.

ANother round of it coming through now. Do I get to record a trace? :)

Way to rain on our cool pattern parade :lol:

lol hey well the next week is certainly no torch and will end up below normal in boston.. This was signaled by the euro ensembles later last week too, so not surprised one bit.

Id think the next cool shot could enter the upper midwest after the first week of oct, and we'll see what happens from there..Definitely appears like an AN start to oct though.

Archived