Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Saturday Convection Threat

CT Rain

Riddle me this....

I'm doing my typical storm post-mortem from the Tuesday night event. While the convection was by and large a but there was a small area in CT that had a fairly impressive burst of damaging convective winds. In fact several towns were nearly 100% without power Wednesday morning because of widespread tree damage.

Here's the outage map from CL&P showing the towns hard hit in eastern CT (Lebanon, Hampton, Chaplin, and Pomfret).

post-40-0-00699900-1348278617_thumb.png

When I looked at radar after the fact I expected to see a convective element in the main line moving SSW-NNE. Maybe even a low level mesocyclone (like the one we saw in the Sound and the Atlantic?). But nope... none of the above.

Here's a grab from when the storm started producing wind damage with what I'm guessing was a batch of 50-55 knot gusts that tracked for about 20 miles through E CT.

post-40-0-74526900-1348278755_thumb.png

Clockwise from upper left we have 0.5 BR, 0.5 SRV, 0.9BV, 0.5BV.

Notice over the town of Lebanon a distinct pocket of 60+ knot outbounds approx 4500 ft AGL behind the leading edge of the line.

This feature was traceable all the way back to the Sound and up through the Mass border. Here's OKX (same 4 panel layout) from 0258Z or about 20 minutes prior to damage beginning in Lebanon, CT.

post-40-0-33365500-1348279003_thumb.png

You can see a kink on the LEWP/frontal wave that develops there. The main line probably outran the LLJ but it's just an odd looking feature that occurred to the northwest of the occlusion on the wave that develops there and tracks NE.

Any ideas???

On phone but will look later. Good post mort though.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived