amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Saturday Convection Threat

CT Rain

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that whatever comes east, it will not be running into a better thermodynamic environment and surface parcels will have to lift via something synoptic. Factoring in entrainment issues could also keep the threat even more west too. Having said that, I do like the low level environment / estimated LCL heights in E PA / NY. Finally, given the orientation of the shear vectors, this may quickly go linear and tend to focus north with time.

SPC SIG TOR is not bad for eastern NY.

I don't think you can completely count extreme western CT out either if some discrete develops across eastern NY early enough.

it seems fairly unlikely you're going to get anything discrete out there

Yeah it does look like it's going to get linear pretty quickly. However looking at the KBGM sounding valid for 18z (perhaps a little west of the actual "tornado area"), does show 0 CIN, 1245 J/KG of SB CAPE and steep surface lapse rates. The dewpoint "shooting up" through the mixed layer is also kinda appealing. Once you get past 18z, though, the mode would probably become linear pretty quickly so there's a small window of opportunity. Instability rapidly cuts off once you get east of the NY border, though, so not sure I'm feeling much for SNE.

SKT_NAM__KBGM.png

I agree..looking at hires models and even the GFS and UK are showing two QLCS' developing during the 21z-03Z time frame..one from Mohawk Valley NNE-NE to LCV the other from the Capital District SSW to NNJ. The S'rn end of this line may be where best threat for spinups brief tornado or two occurs. Strong divergence and the orientation of such in the 500-300 hPa layer favors a liner convective mode. 12z NAM does have some very high sRH values of 200-250 orieneted from the east slops of the Southern Catskills to Lake George for 00z saturday evening. The values around 250 are across SENY up to S'rn columbia county and extreme NW CT and S'rn Berkshire county

Riddle me this....

I'm doing my typical storm post-mortem from the Tuesday night event. While the convection was by and large a but there was a small area in CT that had a fairly impressive burst of damaging convective winds. In fact several towns were nearly 100% without power Wednesday morning because of widespread tree damage.

Here's the outage map from CL&P showing the towns hard hit in eastern CT (Lebanon, Hampton, Chaplin, and Pomfret).

post-40-0-00699900-1348278617_thumb.png

When I looked at radar after the fact I expected to see a convective element in the main line moving SSW-NNE. Maybe even a low level mesocyclone (like the one we saw in the Sound and the Atlantic?). But nope... none of the above.

Here's a grab from when the storm started producing wind damage with what I'm guessing was a batch of 50-55 knot gusts that tracked for about 20 miles through E CT.

post-40-0-74526900-1348278755_thumb.png

Clockwise from upper left we have 0.5 BR, 0.5 SRV, 0.9BV, 0.5BV.

Notice over the town of Lebanon a distinct pocket of 60+ knot outbounds approx 4500 ft AGL behind the leading edge of the line.

This feature was traceable all the way back to the Sound and up through the Mass border. Here's OKX (same 4 panel layout) from 0258Z or about 20 minutes prior to damage beginning in Lebanon, CT.

post-40-0-33365500-1348279003_thumb.png

You can see a kink on the LEWP/frontal wave that develops there. The main line probably outran the LLJ but it's just an odd looking feature that occurred to the northwest of the occlusion on the wave that develops there and tracks NE.

Any ideas???

I am guessing no one did an aerial. Nice swath of damage. I can tell you this, at 1125 we had a 3-5 min period where the sustained winds completely died off then boom a tremendous gust came through. We lost power at that time. I know I was about 7 miles east of the worst but just wanted to relate my experience at that time. Lots of limbs down and some tree tops sheared here and there in my hood with one 3-4 diameter shear in my wooded lot.

I am guessing no one did an aerial. Nice swath of damage. I can tell you this, at 1125 we had a 3-5 min period where the sustained winds completely died off then boom a tremendous gust came through. We lost power at that time. I know I was about 7 miles east of the worst but just wanted to relate my experience at that time. Lots of limbs down and some tree tops sheared here and there in my hood with one 3-4 diameter shear in my wooded lot.

Yeah that actually was similar to what happened here. Strong wind... lull with the +RA... then a return to the wind.

Archived