Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Greatest Snow Storms in your back yard

IsentropicLift

my memory goes back to March 56...

Brooklyn...

February 4th 1961...20" of cement on top of a 9" snow cover...no school for three days...cars banned from Manhattan...

December 12th, 1960...17" imby...No school or plows for three days...

February 7th 1978...long lasting duration and snow cover...

February 12th 1983...20" imby...

January 8th 1996...23" measured imby...

Staten Island...

December 30th 2000...14" of snow in less than 12 hours...

February 12th 2006...22" imby...

December 27th 2010...over 20" imby...long duration snow cover...

on Long Island all five categories is one storm..Feb 6th-7th 1978

I give honorable mention to a storm that preceded it by a few weeks. About a foot of wet, sleety snow. Memorable because the TV newscast the night before ( I'm thinking it was Tex Antoine, could have been Storm Field but I'd have to check when Tex made his moronic rape joke and got fired) said snow would change to rain.

Just 1 missed day of Catholic school, but a complete surprise.

NorthShore Wx has some good pix.

http://www.northshorewx.com/19780120.asp

Checked Wiki- Tex was already fired...

wow...

On November 24, 1976, his weather spot came up just after a report of a violent rape of a five year old girl. Tex, thereupon quipped: "With rape so predominant in the news lately, it is well to remember the words of Confucius: 'If rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it.'" (The same comment later helped derail Texas gubernatorial candidate Clayton Williams' 1990 election bid and got Indiana University Basketball coach Bob Knight in trouble [meaning?] during an interview with Connie Chung in 1988). Roger Grimsby led the 11 p.m. newscast that night with the official apology from WABC. Five days later Grimsby would introduce Antoine's replacement, Storm Field, with "Lie back, relax and enjoy the weather with Storm Field." Antoine closed out his career with a brief stint as weatherman for WNEW-TV in 1977.

I give honorable mention to a storm that preceded it by a few weeks. About a foot of wet, sleety snow. Memorable because the TV newscast the night before ( I'm thinking it was Tex Antoine, could have been Storm Field but I'd have to check when Tex made his moronic rape joke and got fired) said snow would change to rain.

Just 1 missed day of Catholic school, but a complete surprise.

NorthShore Wx has some good pix.

http://www.northshor...om/19780120.asp

Checked Wiki- Tex was already fired...

the February 78 storm was forecasted very good...The day before noaa weather radio said we would get one of the biggest storms in NYC weather history...The January 19th-20th storm was forecasted to change to rain like the previous two storms did that week...It finially did but not before it dropped 14" of snow and sleet...The night of the 19th Alan Kasper was the only on air met to forecast higher numbers because the snow rain line wasn't moving...He said 4-8" while the others were saying 1-3"...we had 4" by midnight and by dawn it was sleeting...we also got some freezing drizzle...

wow...

On November 24, 1976, his weather spot came up just after a report of a violent rape of a five year old girl. Tex, thereupon quipped: "With rape so predominant in the news lately, it is well to remember the words of Confucius: 'If rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it.'" (The same comment later helped derail Texas gubernatorial candidate Clayton Williams' 1990 election bid and got Indiana University Basketball coach Bob Knight in trouble [meaning?] during an interview with Connie Chung in 1988). Roger Grimsby led the 11 p.m. newscast that night with the official apology from WABC. Five days later Grimsby would introduce Antoine's replacement, Storm Field, with "Lie back, relax and enjoy the weather with Storm Field." Antoine closed out his career with a brief stint as weatherman for WNEW-TV in 1977.

And let us not forget Tex's other famous words, when on his last day with Ch7 in New York, when a cake was placed on the news desk to celebrate his stint at Ch7, on the air, as the credits were rolling, and the cake's view was being obstructed by the hands of a prop man, placing the cake on the table, he politely asked the person to "move your F.......g hands. I was watching that day...Classic Tex..What a weatherman..

And let us not forget Tex's other famous words, when on his last day with Ch7 in New York, when a cake was placed on the news desk to celebrate his stint at Ch7, on the air, as the credits were rolling, and the cake's view was being obstructed by the hands of a prop man, placing the cake on the table, he politely asked the person to "move your F.......g hands. I was watching that day...Classic Tex..What a weatherman..

one night around Christmas or New Years in the early 60's on NBC 4 he was slurring his words so bad I couldn't understand what he was saying...II think Tex used to hang out in a bar between 6pm and 11pm shows...He was the most watched weather person on TV...

one night around Christmas or New Years in the early 60's on NBC 4 he was slurring his words so bad I couldn't understand what he was saying...II think Tex used to hang out in a bar between 6pm and 11pm shows...He was the most watched weather person on TV...

Saw him that night(on TV) and apologized to his audience because he had a tooth pulled earlier in the evening. What a freakin character!

Didn't Islip get 25" in the Dec' 09 storm? and in a much shorter amount of time?

Also I know people talk about PDII and its long duration but for me all the snow fell in about 22 hours (9pm sunday thru 7pm monday followed by freezing drizzle). Boxing Day lasted about 18 hours and 96 was the winner lasting about 28-30 hours.

easy blizzard of 96' havent even had a stomr come close since then and probably never will. 25 inches total

In Howell, NJ (SE Monmouth county, born June 1978) where I lived until 2000:

Longest Duration : Blizzard of '96

Largest Accumulation : Blizzard of '96

Most Intense : March 1993 Superstorm (If December 1992 snowed it would get the nod)

Strongest Winds: March 1993 Superstorm (If December 1992 snowed it would get the nod)

Most Impact : Blizzard of '96 (If December 1992 snowed it would get the nod)

In North Jersey: 2000-current (Madison, Jersey City and Cliffside Park)

Longest Duration: PDII (Jersey City)

Largest Accumulation: Boxing Day (Cliffside Park)

Most Intense: Boxing Day probably but maybe January 26-27, 2011 or the snowicane in February 2010 (Cliffside Park) (If March 2010 snowed it would get the nod)

Strongest Winds: Boxing Day (Cliffside Park) (If March 2010 snowed it would get the nod)

Most Impact : Boxing Day (Cliffside Park) (If March 2010 snowed it would get the nod)

• 3 weeks later...

Longest Duration: 3/3/2001 - 3/5/2001 (40 hours and 13.5 inches)

Largest Accumulation: 2/6/1978 (Around 23 inches)

Most Intense:

a/ For the overall offshore cyclone: 2/6/1978

b/ For the intensity of the snowfall in conjunction with a major storm: 2/11/1983 & 12/19/2009 (at least 3 inches an hour for several hours)

Strongest Winds: 2/6/1978 & 1/21/2005

Most Impact: 2/6/1978

Didn't Islip get 25" in the Dec' 09 storm? and in a much shorter amount of time?

Islip had 23.9" in that one and Upton had 26.3"...all in about 12 hours.

I might be a severe weather connoisseur most of the time, but seeing the stretch from Jan 20th to Feb 10th, 1978 with today's technology would be a sight to behold...

Truth be told, I'd take the late December 2010 - late January 2011 period over it....three snowstorms to two and no major thaw that was caused by the incredible blizzard that went up through the eastern Great Lakes around January 28, 1978...melting all the East Coast snow long before the 2/6/78 event got here.

Back things up by about a week to 1/14/78 and you might have a case though...the greatest ice storm in the last 35 years on Long Island, IMO, on that date.

I might be a severe weather connoisseur most of the time, but seeing the stretch from Jan 20th to Feb 10th, 1978 with today's technology would be a sight to behold...

from about January 10th to February 7th there were six major storms that effected the area with at least 1" of precipitation.....

1/10 heavy rain and wind ends as 1" of wind swept snow...(date might be off by a day or two)

1/13 snow accumulates to 3" before changing to freezing rain and sleet...

1/17 snow 2-4" changes to rain,,,

1/20 heavy snow accumulates to 14" before changing to sleet and rain and ends as freezing drizzle...

1/26 heavy rain and fog melts most of the existing snowcover...

2/7 major blizzard with 18" of snow...

There hasn't been a month like this before or after this period...

Most fun I have ever had with any type of storm...from the models whiffing to blizzard in one run the day before...the "bad data" the NAM ingested...such an enjoyable storm

I've never been so aware of the meteorological consequences of model waffling and trending as I was during that storm. It was as if myself and a few others were able to step back and watch the whole thing unfold in slow motion.

I remember the night before the big "shift" west, myself and a few meteorologists were discussing how the models were already dramatically shifting solutions aloft, but doing it slowly..and we weren't seeing the results at the surface yet. I remember saying that we were at a tipping point of sorts, where either the trend would stop and the storm would go out to sea, or the thing would trend 50 miles farther west and we would see explosive surface development appear on all models.

And the rest is history.

Most memorable - December 24, 1966 -Middlesex County NJ - can't beat a Christmas Eve snowstorm - got a new sled that day at the corner hardware store - anybody remember them ? because the old one broke that morning.

There have been so many others but the February 11 -12th, 1983 Middlesex County NJ that storm had a couple hours of zero visibility ....

1996 Blizzard lived in Ocean County NJ and we only got 20 inches because of too much mixing

these storms were long duration storms that were mostly snow...They were all over 24hrs long but didn't get to 10" in the city...

February 18-20 1964...about 28 hours of wet snow/snow adds up to 7"

February 8-9th 1994...over 24 hours of snow/sleet/snow adds up to 9"...

December 19-20th 1995...over 24 hours of snow/sleet/freezing drizzle/snow/mix adds up to 8"...

from about January 10th to February 7th there were six major storms that effected the area with at least 1" of precipitation.....

1/10 heavy rain and wind ends as 1" of wind swept snow...(date might be off by a day or two)

1/13 snow accumulates to 3" before changing to freezing rain and sleet...

1/17 snow 2-4" changes to rain,,,

1/20 heavy snow accumulates to 14" before changing to sleet and rain and ends as freezing drizzle...

1/26 heavy rain and fog melts most of the existing snowcover...

2/7 major blizzard with 18" of snow...

There hasn't been a month like this before or after this period...

we were trying to Stay Alive.#1 song by the Bee Gees that month..favorite month of weather..ever!!.. 2nd place Dec 26th-early Feb 2011..and Early Feb-late March 67

Archived