• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Hurricane Kirk

Good symmetry corresponding to a low-shear environment. Nice outflow pattern too! Only inhibiting factor right now is that there's tons of dry air surrounding the system. Most of that dry air should not entrain into Kirk given the low shear, but even a little bit of dry air into a small system can do a lot of harm. I still don't think it will be enough to prevent gradual intensification.

post-378-0-74598600-1346362241_thumb.jpg

Eye is warming on IR, and -70C cloud tops are almost completely surrounding the cyclone. That, the fact that is rapidly intensifying and the tiny nature of the cyclone hint at a major very, very soon if it can keep the trend for a few more hours.

If it keeps us this kind of rapid intensification I'd say 105kts is likely. Very favorable warm water low shear convergent environment

This one will gain 15mph on post storm analysis. There is no recon to verify the intensity and small core systems are usually underestimated using satellite methods.

Also... can anybody from CIMMS confirm if they updated ADT? It looks like they have modified ADT so that is now takes in microwave imagery. If so that has the potential to make it a substantially more useful tool than its current satellite estimation technique alone.

2012AUG30 001500 2.5 1006.9 35.0 2.5 2.5 3.4 MW Adjst OFF OFF -30.26 -23.56 CRVBND N/A N/A 25.55 48.10 FCST GOES13 42.2 MWinit1=2.9/2.5/2.5

Well played NHC... from the 8/30 11 PM disco

KIRK HAS REACHED THE

WESTERN END OF SUBTROPICAL RIDGE TO THE EAST AND SHOULD UNDERGO

RECURVATURE IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. THE CYCLONE SHOULD THEN GRADUALLY

BECOME EMBEDDED IN MID-LATITUDE WESTERLIES...AND ACCELERATE AT WARP

SPEED WITH THE APPROACH OF A POTENT MID-LATITUDE SHORTWAVE OVER THE

CANADIAN MARITIME PROVINCES IN 36-48 HOURS.

Well played NHC... from the 8/30 11 PM disco

KIRK HAS REACHED THE

WESTERN END OF SUBTROPICAL RIDGE TO THE EAST AND SHOULD UNDERGO

RECURVATURE IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. THE CYCLONE SHOULD THEN GRADUALLY

BECOME EMBEDDED IN MID-LATITUDE WESTERLIES...AND ACCELERATE AT WARP

SPEED WITH THE APPROACH OF A POTENT MID-LATITUDE SHORTWAVE OVER THE

CANADIAN MARITIME PROVINCES IN 36-48 HOURS.

Not just warp speed...

plaidwarp640.gif

From the satellite pick I think we have the first Major Hurricane and the first RI of the 2012 season. This won't be official until 5am though.

There were a few dry air intrusions this evening Kirk manged to quickly cough out the dry air every time and resume intensification. This is a good example of why Josh loves small storms.

5am advisory has increased the winds to 105 mph.

http://www.nhc.noaa....ml/310847.shtml

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 105 MPH...165 KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. KIRK IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE LIKELY TODAY...BUT A GRADUAL WEAKENING SHOULD BEGIN ON SATURDAY. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 15 MILES...30 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 70 MILES...110 KM. ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 970 MB...28.64 INCHES.

I was thinking the same thing, hes never done a bermuda chase, and probably never will. I think he's maybe talked about it and said why not, or I could be thinking of someone else.

Small islands limit his flexibility as far as at least getting into at least the eywall if there is even a small wobble in path.

And he has to commit early enough to get there before th airport closes, which means he has to use a fairly early forecast.

Small islands limit his flexibility as far as at least getting into at least the eywall if there is even a small wobble in path.

And he has to commit early enough to get there before th airport closes, which means he has to use a fairly early forecast.

Bermuda would need to be a combined chase / vacation to make it worthwhile...

Any idea whats on the south east flank of Kirk? Almost looks like its developing some sort of frontal boundary... It's convective nature is surely deteoriating with time. Thinking it might be downgraded to a TS later today...

vis0-lalo.jpg

Yea im surprised at how fast its gone downhill, but at its peak I guarantee it was more than 105, 115/120. As amped said should gain in reanalysis.

Kirk's mid-level circulation has been annihilated. So much for this attaining major hurricane status; though, the the storm may have been a major over night after that bit of rapid intensification it went through. Some of the early a.m. imagery revealed the core to be quite intense. Unfortunately, we'll never know.

post-845-0-49766200-1346438396_thumb.png

500-700mb shear apparently punched the core with the very dry air in the mid-levels that is positioned to Kirk's immediate SW. There's only 8-10kts of shear though given the storm's relative motion. I did not foresee the internal structure deteriorating so quickly. Even if tiny, it looked organized enough to have been our first major. Ahh well... intensity forecasting fail.

Any idea whats on the south east flank of Kirk? Almost looks like its developing some sort of frontal boundary... It's convective nature is surely deteoriating with time. Thinking it might be downgraded to a TS later today...

vis0-lalo.jpg

Based on the shear map, it looks like that general location is where flow is coming together in the upper levels and channeling to the SE. May have something to do with it...

post-845-0-16609900-1346439506_thumb.png

Archived