• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Isaac, Part 2: Isaac Moving Into The Gulf Of Mexico-Hurricane Warnings For Morgan City, LA/MS/AL & FL Panhandle To Destin, FL

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just glancing at the early 00z track guidance, it's pretty clear that the members which are still bringing Isaac east of the MS Delta have the center of the storm jogging more NNW over the next 12 to 24 hours. It will be interesting to watch the heading over the 12 hours or so as the guidance suggests we could have an idea whether the eastern solutions have any merit by then.

It's not that unusual for intensifying tropical systems. I mean if you think about it..intensification usually goes along with stronger updrafts and colder cloud tops...you are naturally gonna electrify the atmosphere a bit more. It also doesn't mean RI either. It's a blob of convection that is really going to town.

Sort of like how increased lightning tends to indicate an intensifying supercell (or any kind of thunderstorm for that matter).

Just an FYI, there is some pretty good Public Safety/Power Outage links / Press Release information available on the following Social Media feeds, particularly Facebook:

*James Spann

*Ready Georgia

*New Orleans Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness

*Mississippi Emergency Management Agency

*Louisiana Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness

I have to disagree. I think Isaac looks absolutely awful on radar right now. I believe that we are hours away from any eye formation, at the least.

The only reason it looked awful was because it relocated to under the deepest part of the convection, but it's looking better by the minute now and I believe the feature at 24.6 °N, 82.7 °W is a formative eyewall. It might collapse for all we know but that is the current situation. Doppler velocities confirm that it's the center above 2 miles and that's been descending.

New eye/eyewall feature taking shape near 24.6 °N, 82.7 °W. Recon about to investigate...

post-645-0-39959500-1346031382_thumb.png

That's the mid-level/upper-level center. We'll see if its able to bring in the lower level circulation. Starting to see more green on the 0.5 indicating that the lower mid-level is working its way down.... still has a few hours to go.

Green echoes to the NW of the meso indicator.

post-3734-0-73768200-1346032397_thumb.pn

Increased lightning indicates there's more snow and ice aloft if I know my microphysics right, which is a result of deeper convection and cooler cloud tops. The sun going down probably helps too for cooler cloud tops.

The increased lightning can be used as a rough indicator of updraft velocities and mass flux within the convection. More lighting= more rigorous convection.

I think there was a tornado near downtown Coral Gables at around 9:45 PM. I witnessed about 5 transformer explosions in rapid succession. It lasted about 30 seconds. I was too far away to confirm but considering the hook echo and tornado warning I suspect it was on the ground for around 30 seconds. The winds have also continued to increase here and are as high as they have been all day. Maybe 20-30 mph sustained or so with gusts around 40. There are a few tree branches down but power is still on.

Just an FYI, there is some pretty good Public Safety/Power Outage links / Press Release information available on the following Social Media feeds, particularly Facebook:

*James Spann

*Ready Georgia

*James Spann or for new people James Spann II

*Ready Georgia

Going NW pretty quick, 24.7 °N, 83.0 °W. Looking alot more complex than the standard partial eyewall with all this downshear reformation, and with the surface low dragging behind. Call it whatever you want, it's some sort of deep convective structure which is driving a strong tropical storm. The mid-level low coupled with the reflectivity structure is definitely driving the sfc low though, it's like a vacuum and shows where the convection is evacuating the most mass.

Still can't buy the far west solution just yet, especially with UKMET/ECMWF still east. The general weakness is still there which should induce a more poleward motion...albeit a slowing motion. Very tough to call though. I certainly wouldn't change the NHC track at 10pm. Let's see what the 00z guidance shows.

Going NW pretty quick, 24.7 °N, 83.0 °W. Looking alot more complex than the standard partial eyewall with all this downshear reformation, and with the surface low dragging behind. Call it whatever you want, it's some sort of deep convective structure which is driving a strong tropical storm. The mid-level low coupled with the reflectivity structure is definitely driving the sfc low though, it's like a vacuum and shows where the convection is evacuating the most mass.

I know that the TWc sees what we see but has not made any comment on this, do you see the Euro track taking hold?

Still can't buy the far west solution just yet, especially with UKMET/ECMWF still east. The general weakness is still there which should induce a more poleward motion...albeit a slowing motion. Very tough to call though. I certainly wouldn't change the NHC track at 10pm. Let's see what the 00z guidance shows.

Well, they did shift it a bit farther W. Now coming in pretty much right at the mouth of the MS River.

Archived