• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Isaac, Part 2: Isaac Moving Into The Gulf Of Mexico-Hurricane Warnings For Morgan City, LA/MS/AL & FL Panhandle To Destin, FL

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

70 mph flight level winds in the NE quad which isn't the most intense quadrant. This could be Hurricane Isaac.

SFMR only supports around 45-50 knots with those flight level winds. While winds might be more impressive in the NW quadrant due to the convection, typically the NE quadrant has the highest winds in a NW moving storm.

Hunters actually place the center to the se of the deepest convection with a pressure of 991 mb

990 with a 10 knot wind... so probably looking at 989 hPa with the adjustment of 1 hPa per 10 knots of wind. Its better organized than earlier tonight for sure, but the convection being focused on the NW side still indicates the system is experiencing southerly shear.

70 mph flight level winds in the NE quad which isn't the most intense quadrant. This could be Hurricane Isaac.

Sorry to ask you this question in this thread, but I have been following your post, if it goes to Hurricane force winds, do you have a guess ( that all I ask now, not a forecast) as to how strong it will be approaching the coast? Never mind landfall.

post-3734-0-79271400-1346044215_thumb.gi

hmmm.. maybe not. Upper low looks to be weakening with a strong southwesterly flow into the Isaac. If the upper low continues south maybe some of that southwesterly shear will become turn more easterly...

The GFS upper level forecasts imply this will not take place until very close to landfall, actually. I wouldn't be surprised if this remained at Cat 1 status until 12-24 hours prior to landfall before the shear eases up.

SFMR only supports around 45-50 knots with those flight level winds. While winds might be more impressive in the NW quadrant due to the convection, typically the NE quadrant has the highest winds in a NW moving storm.

990 with a 10 knot wind... so probably looking at 989 hPa with the adjustment of 1 hPa per 10 knots of wind. Its better organized than earlier tonight for sure, but the convection being focused on the NW side still indicates the system is experiencing southerly shear.

Winds are so weak at the sfc in the NE quadrant since it is the furthest quadrant from the convection, winds can easily be 10-15 kt higher at flight level and the sfc in the NW quadrant imo.

I also measure a 300-315 at like 15mph *or right around there*

I've been tracking the radar center since it split off and have 312 °, it is about 520 miles from the coast if it went in a straight line so probably a little longer considering its going to curve north... so about 36 hours from the coast at 15 mph and it's supposed to slow down a little. That would put it onshore Wednesday after 1 pm. This relocation definitely cut landfall time short a bit.

Winds are so weak at the sfc in the NE quadrant since it is the furthest quadrant from the convection, winds can easily be 10-15 kt higher at flight level and the sfc in the NW quadrant imo.

We'll see. It does look like higher reflectivity is trying to wrap around the west quadrant of the system in the last few radar cycles.

Recon's out of there for now, next one leaves in 40 minutes and expected to get to the core shortly before the 5am advisory.

It looks to me like they tried to find the old center, had a lot of conflicting data, then intercepted the convection and found a ton of wind but by the time they got to Sanibel Island they waited for a confirmation and were probably tired and low on fuel so they decided to head back for the next crew to look at the blob of convection.

I was out today, so I didn't see the 12z run but the wunderground site has it at 968 just off shore of Bay St. Louis.

It was in the 940 hPa range on the 12z run. The two primarily reasons for the weaker intensity are further west postion initially, and the upper level low over the W GOM taking slightly longer to get out of the way, so it imparts south to southeasterly shear on Isaac for another 12-18 hours or so.

Archived