• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
Tropical Storm Isaac, Part 2: Isaac Moving Into The Gulf Of Mexico-Hurricane Warnings For Morgan City, LA/MS/AL & FL Panhandle To Destin, FL

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From 93-108 hours, it just sits over western Panhandle with very little movement

EDIT: Finally beginning to move by 120. Wow

Its a pretty precarious solution, not unlike what occurred with with Georges in 1998. It wouldn't take much of a southward shift for the system to stall in the Gulf of Mexico.

Its a pretty precarious solution, not unlike what occurred with with Georges in 1998. It wouldn't take much of a southward shift for the system to stall in the Gulf of Mexico.

If it stalls right on or very close to the coast, and a good deal of the storm remains over water, weakening would be greatly diminished from a storm that's well inland.

The NHC forecast track has this storm spending about 72 hours with the core over open water before impacting the FL panhandle. I've got to believe that's enough time for some real strength surprises to the upside if all goes well. K***ina was a Cat 1 in the Everglades.

It seems any storm the last 5-10 years thats had a decent structure and not been too large in size upon entering the Gulf has undergone some kind of crazy strengthening at some point, wouldn't be surprised if this one does too.

It seems any storm the last 5-10 years thats had a decent structure and not been too large in size upon entering the Gulf has undergone some kind of crazy strengthening at some point, wouldn't be surprised if this one does too.

FL keys would have a threat from that if it happens north of Cuba. Of course it probably won't happen but they still have to start evacuating now.

WRT strength, if this somehow manages to avoid Cuba over the next 12-18 hours, then it's obvious that Isaac will be decently stronger than forecast while passing through the Florida Straights. This area is rather popular for significant intensification of tropical cyclones over the past century and if everything works out well for the storm, it could be a hurricane while passing through.

Now it seems like there will be a marginally favorable environment for strengthening in the GOM, but nothing perfect by any means. HWRF and GFDL only bring Isaac up to a minimal C1 while the ECMWF has pressures in the low 960's. Experimental HFIP guidance isn't excited either. This makes me a bit skeptical that we see anything too surprising while in the Gulf, but I would not rule the possibility of some quick intensification if this can enter the GOM as a well-established storm.

Given the projected environment and the less-than-enthused intensity models, I'd say that Isaac has the potential to max out around 80-90 knots before landfall.

Wow the Euro track is absolutely identical to last night's 0z run through 48h. It is substantially weaker though.

I wouldn't say substantially weaker.

It's actually south/west/weaker than the 12z after leaving Cuba.

Starting to see a trend in the 00z models. Slower speed is the name of the game.

WRT strength, if this somehow manages to avoid Cuba over the next 12-18 hours, then it's obvious that Isaac will be decently stronger than forecast while passing through the Florida Straights. This area is rather popular for significant intensification of tropical cyclones over the past century and if everything works out well for the storm, it could be a hurricane while passing through.

Now it seems like there will be a marginally favorable environment for strengthening in the GOM, but nothing perfect by any means. HWRF and GFDL only bring Isaac up to a minimal C1 while the ECMWF has pressures in the low 960's. Experimental HFIP guidance isn't excited either. This makes me a bit skeptical that we see anything too surprising while in the Gulf, but I would not rule the possibility of some quick intensification if this can enter the GOM as a well-established storm.

Given the projected environment and the less-than-enthused intensity models, I'd say that Isaac has the potential to max out around 80-90 knots before landfall.

I basically agree with all of this-- especially the bolded.

Keep this kind of stuff in the banter thread.

00z ECM makes landfall in Pensacola by 96 hours. Too many isobars to tell how strong it is.

Right on track with the GFS.

979mb...all signs are pointing to a cat. 1-2 really. It does go from 993 to 979 the last 24 hours so the Euro thinks that is going to be a pretty favorable environment.

00z HWRF has the kind of strengthening that I mentioned could be possible if this takes advantage of the Florida Straights.

Only problem is that it moves Isaac into SFL thereafter.

wind_nest_m.png

On that path, it'll weaken 5 knots tops passing over the Everglades and immediately resume strengthening in the Gulf.

It has made landfall already and looks to track right over Gonave Island.

Pretty impressive 51 knot dropsonde on the south side of the circulation. It may have gotten to hurricane status briefly. To be fair the message said it was dropped in the eye but the 60mph W wind kinda makes me think it missed.

Archived