joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Anomalous Events

OKpowdah

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was definitely anomalous in the way it formed out on the ocean, but in terms of its actual impact in New England...I'm not sure it would make that list for the past 100 years...def a top 25 maybe...but not top 10.

If we were just talking about Cape Cod, then yeah, easily top 10 there...but quite a bit of New England got what amounted to a nasty fall Nor' Easter.

True, it'd probably depend on how you weigh the factors. .we lost two trees in oct 91, more than in Bob and Gloria. lol probably gusted to around 70mph, but 40+ for many many hours.

I actually have a bunch of stuff from that event....I should throw them up somewhere since it was such an anomalous event. :) I didn't even know I had them.

OK...Here's what I have on 2 of the events that we've been talking about. Just click on the text files or images...the folders just contain files that the text files reference.

January 2004 Cold - http://www.stormmonitoring.com/Jan04Cold/ (I wish this January 1994)

January 2005 Blizzard - http://www.stormmonitoring.com/Jan05Blizzard/

I have others and I'll work on cleaning these up in the coming days.

Enjoy!

I don't think anyone mentioned this..but I remember it like it was yesterday...the first significant flooding I had ever seen.

The Oct 19-22 1996 flooding. I was in eastern NH, so I didn't get quite as much rain as eastern Maine, but it was still pretty bad. We were out of school for a few days because the roads were cut off.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/wri/1997/4189/report.pdf

The 1955 floods were most impressive in CT but they were still devastating up this way. Its still easily the worst flood on record in ORH...and it flooded horrifically down the blackstone into RI. We had like 17" of rain a few days. Not the 30" parts of CT had, but more than enough for crippling flood damage.

Downtown was under about 6-7 feet of water.

What is funny about 1955 is that there was another set of floods in October that year...ground still saturated and areas had another 10-12" of rain. What a crazy couple months that was.

Woonsocket got destroyed as a result of that massive dam burst. That's why the Blackstone is now flood controlled.

March 2010 flooding in RI ECT, some thoughts in RI were 1-500, areas flooded had not flooded in modern records.

1978 Blizzard 1-100 1888 1717 being similar

1993 Superstorm, combination of elements 1-100

March 2011 heat wave 1-25 ,1976 April similar departure and length

i forgot about the October 1996 Noreaster

the continental nor’easter on 21 October 1996 had some of its moisture contributed by Hurricane Lili, located in the Atlantic at the timeThis event, produced by a "continental nor’easter," generated the heaviest rainfall values along the east coast of New England from Boston, Massachusetts, to Portland, Maine . From this event, Camp Ellis and Gorham, Maine, recorded storm rainfall totals over three days of 19.2 and 19.0 inches, respectively. Also, Maine and New Hampshire set all-time records for one-day rainfall events during this storm. Analysis of rainfall extremes in the region revealed that the event was in gross excess of a 100-year storm event between Boston and Portland, and at some locations in Maine, it was close to a 500-year storm event. In other words, a storm of this magnitude or greater could be expected to occur only once every 500 years, on the average, or that any single year has a 1/5th of 1 percent chance of experiencing a storm like this. Impacts included river-basin flooding, loss of potable water supplies, and road and bridge damage.

August 1955 precip

Do you happen to have a map like that from Oct '05? I know my area received about 15" but I thought there were areas closer to 20" in parts of Mass & NH.

What's interesting about that '55 map for me is the 20" isoline to my north. There are a number of streams and rivers that drain from Mass. into CT and it explains why the flooding was so bad here (I'm talking north central CT/NE CT).

Do you happen to have a map like that from Oct '05? I know my area received about 15" but I thought there were areas closer to 20" in parts of Mass & NH.

What's interesting about that '55 map for me is the 20" isoline to my north. There are a number of streams and rivers that drain from Mass. into CT and it explains why the flooding was so bad here (I'm talking north central CT/NE CT).

I will check my files

Here ya go Herb Hartford, CT Wettest October on record October, 2005 16.32 inches 11.61 inches October, 1955

Worcester, MA Wettest October on record October, 2005 15.56 inches 10.98 inches October, 1955

What's incredible about those stats is that October 1955 was incredibly wet. There was very serious flooding (record-shattering, in fact) in Fairfield County in October 1955 which is totally overshadowed by what happened 2 months prior in August from Connie and Diane.

Probably one of the coldest days in SNE but you wouldn't know it looking at the record books because of the midnight high. If I recall correctly, temps fell all day and were well below zero in the afternoon, especially with the windchill. I always enjoy a good arctic cold day!

Except for COOPs that observe at 7 AM. One of those, 1st CT Lake, recorded -24/-32 for 12/26/80. That's the coldest daily max I've seen in the East for stations not named MWN. At my Ft. Kent home, the 9F reading at my 9 PM obs time on 12/24 "polluted" what would otherwise have been a -16/-23 day, with winds gusting past 40 mph.

Near tragedy in northern Maine in the wee hours of 12/25/80. An elderly couple was returning from midnight mass in Frenchville when their car got paunched in a massive drift on the back road between Frenchville and Ft.Kent. Fortunately, their farmhouse lay less than 500' farther along toward Ft. Kent. Even so, they barely made it, wading through the snow and cold; she was ready to give up, but he dragged her across the dooryard to safety. 5 minutes later a car appeared heading east, toward the drift, so the farmer turned on all the outside lights, and cranked up the heat. Two minutes later a couple and their 6 children staggered into the yard, some of the younger with frostbitten cheeks. Had the farmer not made it to the house, it's doubtful if any of the 10 people involved would've survived, as the next nearest occupied house was half a mile away.

i forgot about the October 1996 Noreaster

the continental nor’easter on 21 October 1996 had some of its moisture contributed by Hurricane Lili, located in the Atlantic at the timeThis event, produced by a "continental nor’easter," generated the heaviest rainfall values along the east coast of New England from Boston, Massachusetts, to Portland, Maine . From this event, Camp Ellis and Gorham, Maine, recorded storm rainfall totals over three days of 19.2 and 19.0 inches, respectively. Also, Maine and New Hampshire set all-time records for one-day rainfall events during this storm. Analysis of rainfall extremes in the region revealed that the event was in gross excess of a 100-year storm event between Boston and Portland, and at some locations in Maine, it was close to a 500-year storm event. In other words, a storm of this magnitude or greater could be expected to occur only once every 500 years, on the average, or that any single year has a 1/5th of 1 percent chance of experiencing a storm like this. Impacts included river-basin flooding, loss of potable water supplies, and road and bridge damage.

Another recent memorable one.

The Kenmore Square T station has 2 underground levels... the lower level where trains come through was completely underwater. The upper level was submerged up to the turnstiles. A video before flooding peaked:

Head of the Charles (a national crew regatta) was cancelled for the first time ever.

Except for COOPs that observe at 7 AM. One of those, 1st CT Lake, recorded -24/-32 for 12/26/80. That's the coldest daily max I've seen in the East for stations not named MWN. At my Ft. Kent home, the 9F reading at my 9 PM obs time on 12/24 "polluted" what would otherwise have been a -16/-23 day, with winds gusting past 40 mph.

Near tragedy in northern Maine in the wee hours of 12/25/80. An elderly couple was returning from midnight mass in Frenchville when their car got paunched in a massive drift on the back road between Frenchville and Ft.Kent. Fortunately, their farmhouse lay less than 500' farther along toward Ft. Kent. Even so, they barely made it, wading through the snow and cold; she was ready to give up, but he dragged her across the dooryard to safety. 5 minutes later a car appeared heading east, toward the drift, so the farmer turned on all the outside lights, and cranked up the heat. Two minutes later a couple and their 6 children staggered into the yard, some of the younger with frostbitten cheeks. Had the farmer not made it to the house, it's doubtful if any of the 10 people involved would've survived, as the next nearest occupied house was half a mile away.

True...I hadn't thought about that. I keep all my records 7A - 7A because I was a coop for a while and I wanted my records to be continuous. I does help "avoid" (or is it capture?) those times when the high is at Midnight.

I guess that was a truely cold day throughout NE. N ME is like another world!

Archived