• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Anomalous Events

OKpowdah

What are the most anomalous events New England has experienced in say the last ten years?

This isn't just listing a strong storm, or one that was one of your favorites for whatever reason, but specifically events that we have experienced that have an exceptionally low return frequency. So this includes any extreme events ... snowfall, floods, temp extremes, wind, etc.

I'll start:

1) October 2011 snowstorm

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The flooding from Irene in Vermont. The entire state got hammered. Even today I just took these pictures from my old stomping grounds (first time I went back to the Camels Hump region since the storm) and Irene's flooding literally changed the landscape in one 24 hour period.

This was an event that nature will have a hard time topping in terms of flooding and the raw power of swift water.

Every stream, river, gully in Vermont was pretty much altered in a way that should take a hundred years of gentle erosion, not just one 24 hour period. And its everywhere you go. This was just today in Duxbury...

This is not a creek or river, this is just the rubble left from Irene when water was everywhere, just flowing rubble and rocks through driveways and yards.

All of these rocks are not supposed to be here. Just imagine flooding where boulders are being pushed down through your yard. This is a stream bed created by Irene that may not see flowing water for what, another hundred years?

My top 5 in order of most anomalous:

1. October 29-30, 2011 snowstorm

2. January 2004 cold

3. MA tornado 6/1/11

4. December 2008 ice storm

5. March 2012 warmth

I could have missed something more obvious, but I did it quickly in my head.

2. January 2004 cold

3. MA tornado 6/1/11

5. March 2012 warmth

Good call on Dec. 08

I would think the return period of the 2006 flooding would be a lot greater than June 1, no?

2. January 2004 cold

3. MA tornado 6/1/11

5. March 2012 warmth

That ice storm for your area was pretty darn anomalous... I forgot about that but the damage that caused in parts of SNE/CNE was insane. Those trees won't feel something like that for a long time.

That ice storm was freaking crazy...that was the first major event I did with the skywarn team...radios and scanners were going absolutely nuts. The period from 1 AM to about 7 AM honestly felt like 2 hours. What also is forgotten about that storm is besides the damage going on in MA/NH there actually was major wind/flooding occurring in RI/SE CT/SE MA in the warm sector with incredibly strong winds and major coastal flooding.

Good call on Dec. 08

I would think the return period of the 2006 flooding would be a lot greater than June 1, no?

Yeah for some spots 2006 was pretty darn anomalous...I didn't think of that one.

June 1, 2011 was rare though...it tracked like 41 miles...so aside from being a strong EF3, the track is taken into consideration. MA tornadoes rarely track longer than a few miles.

I would add the January 1998 ice storm to the list, that was a catastrophe for Maine. I was at Sugarloaf at the time and the damage to the area just to our south was tremendous. I have heard that the surge of warmth that far north was very anomolous. It was in the high 40's near the summit of Sugarloaf and 17F at the base with rain at the summit and freezing rain/sleet at the base.

June 1, 2011 was rare though...it tracked like 41 miles...so aside from being a strong EF3, the track is taken into consideration. MA tornadoes rarely track longer than a few miles.

Yeah from the path length perspective there are only a handful that come to mind...

2008 Epsom NH

'53 obviously

That 1821 NH tornado folks were discussing on the board recently

1989 had a 42 mile track in NY. Hampden CT was a short track but very strong on the same day.

Archived