• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
New England Severe weather thread number ...I think XI ?

OSUmetstud

You have nerve to say that. I'm getting anvil rain, yet posted stuff during all afternoon about your area. What a meatball.

Yeah there certainly are mets who are DDs for storms that don't hit their BY (they know who they are) but Scooter and I are anything but lol.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of those looked pretty good on radar, but I guess the ground truth lacked. I didn't mean to disrupt the SNE flow of storms with talk of the Lakes Region. I've seen some of my strongest storms ever up there in my limited time when I was younger and now that I spend time there...I have a second eye out for them. Missed an 80mph microburst in the current location in Moultonboro by a day back in July 1989.

Just taking a quick look back at the past few hours on the SPC mesoanalysis, it looks like there was a little marine taint to the boundary layer for much of southern and eastern areas. Those gusty south winds really stabilized things compared to HFD on north to NH.

0-1 km shear was at or above 20 knots for most of that area, quickly dropping off east. And most noticeably, 0-3 km lapse rates were approaching 8 C/km for much of that inland area, while struggling to best 6 nearer the coast. As an example, SFM torched to 88 on a south wind, while a few miles east, PWM was in the upper 70s. That pretty much marked the line where severe winds stopped being possible.

Yeah there certainly are mets who are DDs for storms that don't hit their BY (they know who they are) but Scooter and I are anything but lol.

I mean of course I don't want to miss storms, but I enjoy weather too..as do you. I probably wasted too much time here for fat drop anvil rain..lol. I also forecasted today for parts of the area so I do have an interest.

Just taking a quick look back at the past few hours on the SPC mesoanalysis, it looks like there was a little marine taint to the boundary layer for much of southern and eastern areas. Those gusty south winds really stabilized things compared to HFD on north to NH.

0-1 km shear was at or above 20 knots for most of that area, quickly dropping off east. And most noticeably, 0-3 km lapse rates were approaching 8 C/km for much of that inland area, while struggling to best 6 nearer the coast. As an example, SFM torched to 88 on a south wind, while a few miles east, PWM was in the upper 70s. That pretty much marked the line where severe winds stopped being possible.

Yeah even though TDs were a bit higher to the south, we didn't quite get to the convective temp we needed compared to areas farther west where heights and convective temp were a bit lower.

Sometimes the marine layer is really noticeable just above the surface where strong heating occurs. I've noticed MQE many times is much cooler than say KOWD, and it's not because it's 550' higher. Obviously the marine layer extends to the surface, but the strong solar heating can warm near surface while the LLJ floods the area near 500-1000' with marine taint from the south. As you move up in altitude, you eventually reach that inversion level and updrafts are screwed. Just something I've noticed.

Well I hope everyone gets a good storm tonight..but reality and radar say no

That's the name of the game when it comes to convection...but I certainly try not to poo-poo anything because my backyard doesn't see any. I think when discussing severe and saying that you are unsure how widespread it will be..it doesn't mean there will be no tstms. A good tstm with CG and one that produces 50kt winds are different beasts.

Yeah even though TDs were a bit higher to the south, we didn't quite get to the convective temp we needed compared to areas farther west where heights and convective temp were a bit lower.

Sometimes the marine layer is really noticeable just above the surface where strong heating occurs. I've noticed MQE many times is much cooler than say KOWD, and it's not because it's 550' higher. Obviously the marine layer extends to the surface, but the strong solar heating can warm near surface while the LLJ floods the area near 500-1000' with marine taint from the south. As you move up in altitude, you eventually reach that inversion level and updrafts are screwed. Just something I've noticed.

You'll notice it with cloud development especially. With that marine taint you'll keep the convective roll clouds around much longer, while the areas really getting good mixing will have congested Cu.

Archived