e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way I'd bet that the heat is done. The worst of it? Probably, but given the repeating tendency this summer and in past summers like this, just not very wise imo.

Here is where we are so far this month:

No real reason to think this general layout won't continue, with the better chances for less warmth (relative to average) the farther north you go.

Better check with Chad. He'll deliver the goods for you heat mongers. :guitar:

That is weird. I could see the heavier echoes moving SW around here on radar embedded within the general batch of rain moving NE. When they moved overhead, they were brief downpours that appeared convective. I thought maybe it was lake effect.

Oh there is most certainly a lake enhancement going on today with the low-level flow out of the NE crossing the warm waters of the Lakes.

Hard to believe we're almost to mid Aug already and in about 2 months the tree's up north will have most their leaves covering the

forest floor and with a lot of luck a repeat of Oct 12th 2006 that dropped feets of snow on parts of the UP and buffalo. Even had our

first measurable snow here. That winter went on to smell like warminista's cheese sacks here though.

I could live with another mild fall too and let winters wrath arrive with great stamina in Nov.

I think the heat from this point forward will be fairly tame compared to last month. Given that the ENSO signals I think the fall won't be ridiculously warm into October like it has been.

Far as today - it is great to have waves of heavy rain moving through with occasional thunder. 0.83" through 6:45pm. About 64° currently with low ceilings.

That is weird. I could see the heavier echoes moving SW around here on radar embedded within the general batch of rain moving NE. When they moved overhead, they were brief downpours that appeared convective. I thought maybe it was lake effect.

Looks like showers are coming off Lake Huron and moving WELL inland. I have a line closing in on me now.

Sounds like the organized lake rains and waterspouts will kick into gear overnight.

OVERNIGHT INTO FRIDAY...SURFACE LOW IS EXPECTED TO DEEPEN AS IT

PUSHES EAST ACROSS INDIANA THE LIFTS NORTHEAST INTO OHIO. STRONG

COLD ADVECTION ON THE BACKSIDE OF THE LOW WILL LEAD TO H85 TEMPS

FALLING BELOW 10C WITH SURFACE-850 DELTA TS GRADUALLY INCREASING TO

NEAR 15C BY FRIDAY MORNING...AND BUFR SOUNDINGS CONTINUE TO

ADVERTISE LAKE INDUCED CAPE VALUES IN EXCESS OF 1500 J/KG AT TIMES

ASSUMING LAKE TEMPS AROUND 73C //SOUTH BUOY IS NEAR 76F NOW//. NO

MAJOR CHANGES IN THINKING AS FAR AS THE WATER SPOUT POTENTIAL

GOES...STILL LOOKING AT A FAVORABLE SETUP WITH DEEP CONVECTION

EXPECTED AND STRONG INSTABILITY. FRIDAY NIGHT...WINDS BEGIN TO BACK TO

THE NORTHWEST AS THE LOW CONTINUES TO LIFT NORTHEAST TOWARDS

QUEBEC AND SHOULD SHIFT ANY LINGERING LAKE EFFECT SHOWERS EAST

INTO INDIANA/MICHIGAN.

Tornado sighted near Brook, IN!

Sounds like the organized lake rains and waterspouts will kick into gear overnight.

Tornado sighted near Brook, IN!

A steady batch of lake effect rain showers is approaching Sheboygan from the NNE, moving SSW along/near the shore. I think this batch will be the main show, with other isolated thundershowers near the shore ahead of it.

Pic doesn't do it complete justice, and my shaky hands don't help, but here's what it looked like with the storm from earlier. Can barely make out the trees in the distance, that are about 1000 feet or so from balcony. Visibility got a little worse for a time after I took this photo. The water going over the car port is kinda cool though. You can tell it's been boring, as this is my most exciting weather event in months. :D

We got a surprisingly potent little storm this evening that knocked out the power for an hour. I didn't bother moving my container plants this time and, fortunately, nothing was broken in the ~40 mph gusts. With the increased rain and cooler temps lately the grass is greening up again. We've had nearly as much rain so far in August as all of June and 50% more than all of July.

FWIW, looks like DVN's all in on a cooler than average August...

OVERALL... IT APPEARS WE ARE UNDERGOING A REMARKABLE PATTERN CHANGE

TO MEAN CENTRAL CONUS TROUGH THAT VERY WELL COULD RESULT IN BELOW

NORMAL TEMPS FOR AUGUST FOR MUCH OF THE DROUGHT STRICKEN AND BAKED

MIDWEST. 06Z GFS 2M TEMP ANOMALY (AVG) THROUGH 384 HRS (06Z 8/25) SHOWS

ENTIRE CENTRAL CONUS BELOW AVERAGE WITH IA/IL/MO/KS/OK/AR SHOWN TO

AVERAGE 4C TO 6C BELOW.

Although there are a couple of signals (teleconnection-related) that MAY suggest a pattern change, this reasoning is a bit flawed, in my opinion. The GFS 2-m temperature anomaly at 384 h? If that forecaster's prog were correct, it'd be for the wrong reasons.

Excellent photos Joe! Didn't get to see anything like that here. Almost looks like the sky is on fire!

---

Strong wording from LOT regarding rough waters of Lake Michigan:

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL

848 PM CDT THU AUG 9 2012

ILZ003>005-008-010>013-019>023-032-033-039-INZ010-011-019-100400-

WINNEBAGO-BOONE-MCHENRY-OGLE-LEE-DE KALB-KANE-DUPAGE-LA SALLE-

KENDALL-GRUNDY-WILL-KANKAKEE-LIVINGSTON-IROQUOIS-FORD-NEWTON-

JASPER-BENTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROCKFORD...BELVIDERE...WOODSTOCK...

OREGON...DIXON...DEKALB...AURORA...WHEATON...OTTAWA...OSWEGO...

MORRIS...JOLIET...KANKAKEE...PONTIAC...WATSEKA...PAXTON...

MOROCCO...RENSSELAER...FOWLER

848 PM CDT THU AUG 9 2012 /948 PM EDT THU AUG 9 2012/

...STAY AWAY FROM LAKE MICHIGAN...

LAKE MICHIGAN WILL BE A DANGEROUS PLACE FOR RECREATIONAL

BOATERS...SWIMMERS...KAYAKERS...AND THRILL SEEKERS TONIGHT THROUGH

SATURDAY. EVERYONE IS URGED TO STAY AWAY FROM THE LAKE.

BIKERS...JOGGERS...AND WALKERS SHOULD USE EXTREME CAUTION ALONG

THE LAKEFRONT. STAY OFF OF PIERS AND BREAK WALLS.

NORTH WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 MPH OVER SOUTHERN LAKE

MICHIGAN AND NEARBY LAKESHORE AREAS LATE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE

THROUGH FRIDAY. GUSTS TO NEAR 40 MPH ARE POSSIBLE FRIDAY. WINDS

WILL SLOWLY DIMINISH FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. THE STRONG WINDS

WILL GENERATE WAVES OF UP TO 10 TO 14 FEET FRIDAY. IN

ADDITION...THERE WILL BE A HIGH RISK FOR DANGEROUS RIP

CURRENTS...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE INDIANA BEACHES.

INSTABILITY CAUSED BY UNSEASONABLY COOL AIR MOVING OVER THE VERY

WARM LAKE WATER WILL ALSO MAKE WATERSPOUTS LIKELY OVER SOUTHERN

LAKE MICHIGAN OVERNIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING. THERE WILL BE

NUMEROUS LAKE EFFECT SHOWERS AND EVEN A FEW THUNDERSTORMS.

THE WATERSPOUT THREAT WILL DIMINISH DURING THE DAY FRIDAY AND

SHOWERS WILL BE MOVING OUT BY FRIDAY NIGHT. BUT DANGEROUS WAVES

AND RIP CURRENTS ARE LIKELY TO CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY. ANYONE

LOOKING FORWARD TO BOATING OR GOING TO THE BEACH SHOULD WAIT UNTIL

SUNDAY...WHICH WILL SEE PARTLY SUNNY SKIES...LIGHT WINDS....AND

TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER 70S.

Although there are a couple of signals (teleconnection-related) that MAY suggest a pattern change, this reasoning is a bit flawed, in my opinion. The GFS 2-m temperature anomaly at 384 h? If that forecaster's prog were correct, it'd be for the wrong reasons.

Congrats on the move and good luck.

Hard to believe we're almost to mid Aug already and in about 2 months the tree's up north will have most their leaves covering the

forest floor and with a lot of luck a repeat of Oct 12th 2006 that dropped feets of snow on parts of the UP and buffalo. Even had our

first measurable snow here. That winter went on to smell like warminista's cheese sacks here though.

I could live with another mild fall too and let winters wrath arrive with great stamina in Nov.

I would be perfectly fine with this, anything to keep the lakes as warm as possible as late as possible before winter and the lake effect bonanza that could occur this year.

I would be perfectly fine with this, anything to keep the lakes as warm as possible as late as possible before winter and the lake effect bonanza that could occur this year.

I really don't think Bowme would want that, I told him earlier that I think that would mean some screwjobs near the lake as late as January due to the warm lake.

I really don't think Bowme would want that, I told him earlier that I think that would mean some screwjobs near the lake as late as January due to the warm lake.

Possible though I don't think that is truly that big of a problem unless you literally live within a stone's throw of the lake.

Possible though I don't think that is truly that big of a problem unless you literally live within a stone's throw of the lake.

Being on the south side of the metro and about 5 miles from the lake, it seems to already make a difference for him. If we had an above average fall (let's say an average of 2-3 degrees above normal overall), I would guess the water temps at the start of winter would be 3-5 degrees warmer than normal for that time of the year. Hard to think that doesn't have an impact, but maybe it is panic for no reason.

Back to August, though, when I was talking about a change, I was moreso talking about a change toward a typical month temperature wise for once, which seems likely.

Archived