e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
August 2012 General Discussion

Chicago WX

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only a sprinkle here overnight. Nothing measurable as of 12:00.

Was in Charlotte through early this afternoon. Little to no rain fell there. GRR Forecast was for 100% chance of rain. I know for fact most areas in that region did not get any rain today.

It is the first week in August might wanna dial back the no more heat talk.

Technically 2nd week and models show no heat in southern Michigan through the end of week 3... Only a couple more weeks left to get though, I bet we see 2 more 90 degree days tops.

Technically 2nd week and models show no heat in southern Michigan through the end of week 3... Only a couple more weeks left to get though, I bet we see 2 more 90 degree days tops.

Agree. I see a couple more isolated 90°+ days throughout the rest of the summer ridge is breaking down pattern is changing. Next...

We will see. I think the middle-end of next week has a "heat" chance. Once the models fix the PNA bias, that will probably lead toward a 1-3 day period(depending on length) of warmth. Notice the pattern has changed to ups and downs since the last week in July up north.

These drought busting rains will likely aid to keep the magnitude of the heat down, although the dewpoints will probably offset that.

No way I'd bet that the heat is done. The worst of it? Probably, but given the repeating tendency this summer and in past summers like this, just not very wise imo.

Here is where we are so far this month:

month.tdev.png

No real reason to think this general layout won't continue, with the better chances for less warmth (relative to average) the farther north you go.

No way I'd bet that the heat is done. The worst of it? Probably, but given the repeating tendency this summer and in past summers like this, just not very wise imo.

Here is where we are so far this month:

month.tdev.png

No real reason to think this general layout won't continue, with the better chances for less warmth (relative to average) the farther north you go.

Yeah, I am not sitting here advocating it will be in the 100s any time soon but 90s still look to be in the cards, hell one decent trough into the West and that ridge will spill Eastward. Then back into the 90s we would go.

Yeah the notion that there won't be any more heat the rest of the summer because the 12z Euro/GFS doesn't show heat for the next 10 days is a bit much. Some people might wanna dial back the wishcasting that summer is over...

I don't think anybody said Summer was over I think a lot of people think the mild/heat pattern is over.

I don't think anybody said Summer was over I think a lot of people think the mild/heat pattern is over.

Under what reasoning though, we hit 90 just the other day over achieving like we have done all summer. Just because 2 models don't show heat for the next 10 days doesn't mean it is over, especially considering how hot it is to the SW of us.

FWIW, looks like DVN's all in on a cooler than average August...

OVERALL... IT APPEARS WE ARE UNDERGOING A REMARKABLE PATTERN CHANGE

TO MEAN CENTRAL CONUS TROUGH THAT VERY WELL COULD RESULT IN BELOW

NORMAL TEMPS FOR AUGUST FOR MUCH OF THE DROUGHT STRICKEN AND BAKED

MIDWEST. 06Z GFS 2M TEMP ANOMALY (AVG) THROUGH 384 HRS (06Z 8/25) SHOWS

ENTIRE CENTRAL CONUS BELOW AVERAGE WITH IA/IL/MO/KS/OK/AR SHOWN TO

AVERAGE 4C TO 6C BELOW.

AVERAGE 4C TO 6C BELOW.

MJO is moving into a favorable phase for heat in a couple days, I expect changes to come and for the models to play catch up.

AVERAGE 4C TO 6C BELOW.

With all due respect to DVN, I'm not sure why they would be using GFS 2m temperature anomalies considering the history.

Haha, just thought I'd throw that into the convo. :devilsmiley:

I'm guessing we'll see a return to heat at some point. We were due for a period of cooler weather after so many weeks in a row of extreme heat. My gut feeling is late August we'll see it return and last into September. With the tropics heating up though it's going to be very tough to pin down pattern changes very far into the future.

Kind of interesting watching the DTX's radar you can see the showers moving both E and W at the same time. Going to be a rainy night tonight with that next batch of heavy rain moving in from the West.

That is weird. I could see the heavier echoes moving SW around here on radar embedded within the general batch of rain moving NE. When they moved overhead, they were brief downpours that appeared convective. I thought maybe it was lake effect.

Under what reasoning though, we hit 90 just the other day over achieving like we have done all summer. Just because 2 models don't show heat for the next 10 days doesn't mean it is over, especially considering how hot it is to the SW of us.

I understand temps have been over achieving. Maybe Im reading models wrong but in the last couple weeks it has been leaning towards break down in the ridge. Leaving the door open for colder air in several runs. A pattern we have not seen in months. I did say will still have some 90 days just not consecutively that has been doing the past several months. ( i.e heat wave).

Archived