e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
SNE Late July BANTER , OBS, DISCO

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They could "spin off" OT as a new board with unique URL... People from here could still go there...

But hey the "powers that be" will never agree to that because their goal is apparently to have almost pure wx chat on this side so they need to keep pushing other subjects OT. Problem is ...OT is too much of a cess pool and none of us want to go there with regularity.

DBM is already a spin off OT board. Randy created it after the Marcus fat fingers incident way back on eastern in like 2005.

right. and OT has been quite tame since people were suspended anyway. Nearly everyone who contributes in OT also contributes on the weather side. It's not some weird area of the board where evil is being created. Evil creation is reserved from Politics...where a bunch of people have joined to freak out and be nasty before the election who wouldn't know a CB from their own ***hole.

OT has def been more civil, but I do miss some of the people who are gone from there.

Pinned regional OT-side banter threads? Open to all AmWx members? Can you pin an OT thread?

Well anyways, hopefully some of the nonsense had piped down. Good to see Adam is locking in home grown disasters.

FL/Gulf FTW?

That's where my head is right now

Yep. And a wet July tend to favor that statically. From less than 7 inches for ALL of last year to this for 2012 to date...

post-32-0-07789200-1342791117_thumb.png

Sorry, up to .24. Yesterday i finally turned on our extensive outside irrigation system here at work, figures. Its expensive to run but we needed it. Had a problem with potentiometers but all better. Ground was.......parched.

I'm not worried about reservoirs and wells around here, yet. It's more the small farms and csa's that can't afford widespread irrigation that are taking a hit.

The lag is pretty long for deep wells, shallow hand dugs are a different animal.

We have a dug well--12' deep or so. It's in a great spot but I've been concerned this summer that we might finally run it dry. The 1.25" we had on Tuesday evening was huge. Most important rain all summer, by far.

When we first moved to our current house back in '06, I would 'stick' the well once a week or so and there's no doubt that that puppy showed very quick recovery after a nice hefty rain and then slowly drop as recharge rates went down before the next rainfall. I did the same sort of thing at the house we had before now (also a dug well--they're quite common around here) and it acted very much the same. Point here is that there's nowhere near the lag that deep drilled wells see. But, we're much more reliant on consistent rainfall throughout the year. When that doesn't happen... :axe:

interesting paper

During wet periods (positive anomalies) groundwater levels follow

closely with streamflow and precipitation, however an asymmetric response of the water

levels occurs during drought periods. We propose that aquifers respond differently to

floods and droughts (Eltahir and Yeh, 1999), which results in an amplification of dry

(more negative) anomalies and a dissipation of wet (more positive) anomalies in the

groundwater levels (Figure 3A). During drought periods a lag is observed from the

climate variables to the groundwater levels that are not seen during wet periods. This

observation can be attributed to the fact that during wet anomalies the water table is

already high and as groundwater levels continue to rise they intersect with more stream

networks. During dry periods, the opposite occurs, less intersection of stream networks

occur as water level becomes more and more disconnected from surface water features

it rained yesterday and it's raining right now. Not enough, but at least it's something.

yea, I was up in Oswego for orientation and everything in the area was all brown, and the grass was very dry and crunchy when you stepped on it. Is it that bad over by you?

It was in the mid to upper 90's every day, it was disgusting weather.

Archived