joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 9-20 2012 Obs and Discussion

mattmfm

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said I BELIEVE it is approx 4 blocks away, The Md Science center isnt exactly on the inner harbor right?

It's on a corner with the harbor immediately to its right (if your looking at it true north) so yes, I'd say it's on the inner harbor

I believe so as well... and now he claims 80% of NOAA stations aren't right based off some website's standards? Wow...

Just to show what I mean as proof

As for NOAA stations... www.surfacestations.org found that more than 80% don't comply with standards -- from https://www.facebook.com/pages/Justin-Berk-Meteorologist/54875673475?ref=ts

I think as Ian said, weatherbugs station sit higher off the ground

Still 6-8 degree difference makes a big difference at least in my opinion. they are right next to each other. they cant be that far off unless one of them isnt callibrated or positioned in the wrong location

thanks JT, i seen it, this is your presentation at the next conference :lol:

Still 6-8 degree difference makes a big difference at least in my opinion. they are right next to each other. they cant be that far off unless one of them isnt callibrated or positioned in the wrong location

They both suck. But lets be honest here, on a day where 100s were all around, does anyone believe that in the concrete corridors of downtown Baltimore that it was a couple of degrees cooler than most locals? There is something wrong with the Weatherbug station. I don't know if it is elevation, calibration or else.

It is somewhat of a big deal, one of them is giving false readings and going into climo reports.

But no records are being kept out of Baltimores Inner Habor, that is my point. IF it is reading too hot, so what? The official records are out of BWI. If anything its just a conversational starter, like many in my office did this morning "the city got to 107 yesterday!"

thanks JT, i seen it, this is your presentation at the next conference :lol:

Where's the other station you are referring to?

dmh is not an official station as far as cilmate records go

Im talking about the NWS station. Not the wx bug station.

But no records are being kept out of Baltimores Inner Habor, that is my point. IF it is reading too hot, so what? The official records are out of BWI. If anything its just a conversational starter, like many in my office did this morning "the city got to 107 yesterday!"

There are climo reports at the Inner Harbor (MSC). and for some reason on the NWS site, it has BWI and Maryland Science center. they should call it Inner Harbor as some people may get confused and think MSC and the wx bug station instead.

...THE BALTIMORE INNER HARBOR MD CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JULY 18 2012...

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010

CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 9999 TO 9999

WEATHER ITEM OBSERVED TIME RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST

VALUE (LST) VALUE VALUE FROM YEAR

NORMAL

TEMPERATURE (F)

YESTERDAY

MAXIMUM 107 215 PM MM MM 89 18 99

MINIMUM 83 1159 PM MM MM 73 10 77

AVERAGE 95 81 14 88

anyway Im done with this convo, lets get back to the daily obs and storms on the way hopefully :)

Im talking about the NWS station. Not the wx bug station.

There are climo reports at the Inner Harbor (MSC). and for some reason on the NWS site, it has BWI and Maryland Science center. they should call it Inner Harbor as some people may get confused and think MSC and the wx bug station instead.

anyway Im done with this convo, lets get back to the daily obs and storms on the way hopefully :)

there are daily reports but it's not an official climat site.. it's basically like jyo

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KDMH/2012/7/19/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Averages and records for this station are not official NWS values.

Archived