Newest Member
    joxey
July 9-20 2012 Obs and Discussion

mattmfm

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He must :P The man's obsessed.

Power's out at home... major intersection nearby has police directing traffic. Really glad that this happened today and not yesterday.

Exactly my thinking,,, it is always NWS vs weatherbug with him

Berk is questioning yesterday's high at BWI

lol.. i just read his piece.

what makes weatherbug the authority in temps anyway? i do cringe when people cite the city reading tho i suppose it's legit.

lol.. i just read his piece.

what makes weatherbug the authority in temps anyway? i do cringe when people cite the city reading tho i suppose it's legit.

It was only mentioned bc it was so hot. But most people should know a major city is always going to run warmer than surrounding areas. It's not an official reading in terms of records, so I don't quite understand what all the hoopla is regarding it anyways.

i dont get the whole lst issue either. it's lst.. case closed. how the nws doesnt know the answer is a bit peculiar.. maybe he takled to an intern.

He's probably just doing all of this for the attention... and/or the fact the he must be bored out of his mind. All he's got now is his Examiner column as far as I know.

EDIT: I realize that the conversation is getting a bit off-topic... gonna stop now :P

It was only mentioned bc it was so hot. But most people should know a major city is always going to run warmer than surrounding areas. It's not an official reading in terms of records, so I don't quite understand what all the hoopla is regarding it anyways.

Exactly, its not like its possessing Baltimore's all time record. Now hes not only questioning DMH (md sci ctr) but also BWI, which is closer to Baltimore and industry surrounds. Its been running maybe a degree warm but I see no reason to treat that with as little salt as an inner harbor reading. Regardless, Berk has nothing better to do, as he is part of the jobless claims report...

Im not defending Berk but something is wrong when a few blocks in the city and one is 98* and the other is 104*. Even Bob ryan down here says something is suspect.

Im not defending Berk but something is wrong when a few blocks in the city and one is 98* and the other is 104*. Even Bob ryan down here says something is suspect.

its no different when people scream about DCA. the location sucks for both and these are the types of numbers one will see.

Exactly, its not like its possessing Baltimore's all time record. Now hes not only questioning DMH (md sci ctr) but also BWI, which is closer to Baltimore and industry surrounds. Its been running maybe a degree warm but I see no reason to treat that with as little salt as an inner harbor reading. Regardless, Berk has nothing better to do, as he is part of the jobless claims report...

Ouch...little harsh there and was probably unnecessary

Do other major cities have the same problem? NWS says one thing vs weatherbug/wunderground

its no different when people scream about DCA. the location sucks for both and these are the types of numbers one will see.

but DCA is more consistent with other stations nearby.

i think the inner harbor and wx bug are maybe 4 blocks apart?

DCA is 91 and wxbug in arlington is 93, not to shabby

inner harbor is 96 and wxbug at science center is 90, BWI is 90,

Where is the weatherbug station located?

Do other major cities have the same problem? NWS says one thing vs weatherbug/wunderground

im sure it's a 'problem' all over the country. but no station is perfect. if we took dca temps in rock creek park or at the observatory it would not be totally representative either.

i don't even know anything about the inner harbor siting but i'd assume it's poorly sited. not to say it did not actually hit 107 at that location yesterday though...

im sure it's a 'problem' all over the country. but no station is perfect. if we took dca temps in rock creek park or at the observatory it would not be totally representative either.

i don't even know anything about the inner harbor siting but i'd assume it's poorly sited. not to say it did not actually hit 107 at that location yesterday though...

It sits right along the Harbor, surrounded by asphalt.

I've just accepted regardless of where you are in the city, it's going to be warmer than areas outside of it. The complaining about it (not you Dave) gets a little tiresome though

There's probably a good reason for Inner Harbor's higher temps. Downsloping off Federal Hill? Methane from dolphin farts at the Aquarium? Heat given off by decomposing sewage in the water? Proximity to Peter Angelos's office?

It sits right along the Harbor, surrounded by asphalt.

I've just accepted regardless of where you are in the city, it's going to be warmer than areas outside of it. The complaining about it (not you Dave) gets a little tiresome though

Pretty much. I think the issue at hand is more so whether or not BWI is calibrated correctly vs. whether or not it's representative of the region (or at least that's what I hope it is). I would hope that the NWS/FAA would have already tested it to make sure in recent months, but at the same time BWI's temps don't appear to be THAT abnormal to me. What I'd like to see is a full 360-degree view around the weatherbug stations like some of the ASOS stations have. Microclimates can do some crazy things. I wish I still had the link to the ASOS 360 view :(

berk says wxbug is calibrated for surface readings.. whatever that means. so they're guessing i guess. ;)

Highly suspect if they aren't reading true 2m temps. The lowest several feet behave a lot differently than air that's several stories up. Good luck on Twitter :P I've grown tired of debating Berk on Twitter since he'll never cave/stop no matter what the counter-argument is.

Day TWO update puts us in a Slight Risk... still a See Text for today:

day2probotlk_20120719_1730_any_prt.gif

VALID 201200Z - 211200Z

FARTHER NORTHEAST...OTHER STRONG/POTENTIALLY SEVERE TSTMS ARE

EXPECTED ALONG THE FRONTAL SEGMENT NEAR THE APPALACHIANS AND INTO

THE MID-ATLANTIC STATES/DELMARVA REGION. A LESSER DEGREE OF

DESTABILIZATION/MORE MEAGER LAPSE RATES WILL BE OFFSET BY SLIGHTLY

STRONGER MID-LEVEL WESTERLIES...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE DELMARVA

REGION IN VICINITY OF A SURFACE LOW/WEST-EAST FRONTAL ZONE. ALTHOUGH

KEY UNCERTAINTIES EXIST REGARDING THE POTENTIAL FOR LINGERING EARLY

DAY CLOUD COVER/PRECIPITATION...SOMEWHAT HIGHER SEVERE PROBABILITIES

COULD ULTIMATELY BE WARRANTED FOR EASTERN VA/DELMARVA VICINITY

SHOULD SUFFICIENT DESTABILIZATION OCCUR NEAR/SOUTH OF THE

WARM-FRONTAL ZONE ACROSS THE REGION. REGARDLESS...DAMAGING

WINDS/SEVERE HAIL WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THE STRONGER STORMS

ESPECIALLY FRIDAY AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING.

Archived