Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
June 29 2012 Derecho event, Post your vids and photos here

Avdave

On Rt 15

Uprooted Tree

for a 2-3 miles stretch on Rt 7 all the traffic lights were non working, all turn lanes were blocked off and intersections had police tape across them

Flag poles along road snapped in the wind

road signs snapped from the force of the wind, there were about 5-7 signs like this size all snapped from the winds

Generator working traffic signal here

A bit OT, but I lived about 1/4 mi. from that intersection from 1999-2005. All I can contribute is that I know we never experienced anything close to the 71 mph reported at IAD during that time. In fact, the only weather-related outage I remember off the top of my head was from Floyd in 9/99, and that lasted all of 4 hours or something.

Power back up after 36 hours. Can't really complain. Here's a smattering of pics from my neighborhood. No major damage to my property but we were surrounded by tree damage on all sides.

I went out to get gas for the generator and tried to avoid the backups on the major roads but all the stealth roads were blocked.

I went out to the College Park disc golf course to play a couple rounds (last pic). The course got crushed. It was alot of fun with all the new obstacles though. lol

When I first saw the road closed signed I was like "really? I couldn't tell". Too funny.

I got very lucky this go around. My house is surrounded by pretty extensive damage and I only had to pick up small branches. I paid my dues a couple years back though with the big july storm. Took a branch through the roof and had to shell out a couple grand to my tree guy. I have 7 trees over 50' tall in my backyard and every big storm makes me nervous.

When I first saw the road closed signed I was like "really? I couldn't tell". Too funny.

I got very lucky this go around. My house is surrounded by pretty extensive damage and I only had to pick up small branches. I paid my dues a couple years back though with the big july storm. Took a branch through the roof and had to shell out a couple grand to my tree guy. I have 7 trees over 50' tall in my backyard and every big storm makes me nervous.

Pucker factor

From the Frederick News Post, a house in Frederick was struck by lightning just before the winds rolled in.  The high winds caused the house to be consumed by flames.  The owners were home and thankfully made it out safely.

137665.jpg

http://www.frederick...65#.T_BuRk9yx7I

>Saw that the other day, very scary stuff. The house has a full sprinkler system, but since it started on the roof from the lightning, it didn't make a difference. My house is built the same way, which makes me nervous.

Seems like most of Frederick faired pretty well. We seemed to have more lightning, but nowhere near the winds that people had in the surrounding areas.

>Saw that the other day, very scary stuff. The house has a full sprinkler system, but since it started on the roof from the lightning, it didn't make a difference. My house is built the same way, which makes me nervous.

Seems like most of Frederick faired pretty well. We seemed to have more lightning, but nowhere near the winds that people had in the surrounding areas.

I posted the same thing the other day...I'm not sure I have ever seen an electrical storm like that. I was coming from Clustered Spires towards Rt. 26 then down Rt. 15 and saw amazing branched out lightning. The cloud to ground was too frequent and close and it was eerie the number of times I saw the sky go green from transformers blowing. Most of that lightning was from the initial storms that popped up here preceding the squall line, which we were on the northern fringe of. When I got home, I had a fried cardinal on my porch. poor guy was more black than red. As far as wind...gusty but nothing like the hurricane winds further south. I saw at least 5 big trees down around my neighborhood but all were Bradford Pears...a light breeze could have done the same damage to them. lol

From the Frederick News Post, a house in Frederick was struck by lightning just before the winds rolled in. The high winds caused the house to be consumed by flames. The owners were home and thankfully made it out safely.

137665.jpg

http://www.frederick...65#.T_BuRk9yx7I

20 years or so ago, when i was still a firefighter, we had a bad storm and a house got struck by lightning starting it on fire, a big 3 story old farm house. Anyhow, i had advanced a hose up into a well involved attic, as i was knocking down the fire this was this huge bang and rumble, it scared the Chit out of me. A little while later when i cam out of the house, here the house right across the street was hit too. crazy!

I posted these in the storm thread, but figure I should re-post here as well.

Unfortunately I didn't have time on Saturday to get out and shoot with my DSLR, so here are some samplings from around town via cell phone camera.

WP_000899_resized.jpg

Large tree down in front of Herndon Middle School

WP_000907_resized.jpg

My brother was nice enough to give everyone a scale as to the size of these trees that came down. The one he's standing on was pretty massive, with two trees that formed from one trunk. Just out of frame off to the left is a row of townhouses, so they're definitely lucky this didn't angle just slightly to the left

WP_000925_resized.jpg

This is a driving range in Sterling, right off of Rt. 28. The larger poles holding up the netting are telephone poles, and the poles attached to the tops of the telephone poles are what look to be pretty thick metal. They used to all be standing straight up, holding the netting up

WP_000926_resized.jpg

The telephone pole behind the sebring in this photo is actually snapped at the bottom

The below photos I'm stealing from a brother's facebook album

582547_10151874061525338_761254638_n.jpg

Herndon/Reston

314062_10151874067615338_1700670010_n.jpg

Herndon

540768_10151874099340338_1892730010_n.jpg

This one looks like it sorta just gave up

I posted these in the storm thread, but figure I should re-post here as well.

Unfortunately I didn't have time on Saturday to get out and shoot with my DSLR, so here are some samplings from around town via cell phone camera.

Large tree down in front of Herndon Middle School

My brother was nice enough to give everyone a scale as to the size of these trees that came down. The one he's standing on was pretty massive, with two trees that formed from one trunk. Just out of frame off to the left is a row of townhouses, so they're definitely lucky this didn't angle just slightly to the left

This is a driving range in Sterling, right off of Rt. 28. The larger poles holding up the netting are telephone poles, and the poles attached to the tops of the telephone poles are what look to be pretty thick metal. They used to all be standing straight up, holding the netting up

The telephone pole behind the sebring in this photo is actually snapped at the bottom

The below photos I'm stealing from a brother's facebook album

Herndon/Reston

Herndon

This one looks like it sorta just gave up

The Bannana peeled tree is interesting. Almost looks like the wind came straight down from above. Horizontal winds and gravity probably dit it though one branch broke and the trunk became unstable. I doubt the downward component was fast enough.

Finally got time to get to a local coffee shop and they finally have internet here. Still don't have power or internet at home. I'll post a few photos I snapped while I could and a screencap of the outflow as it moved through Roanoke. (last image before I lost power) This was just one area. Trees were snapped like that citywide. 200xts7.png

post-3065-0-58971700-1341366527_thumb.jp

post-3065-0-49463300-1341366543_thumb.jp

post-3065-0-38971100-1341366554_thumb.jp

Archived