• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

Gets trickier out around Friday depending on how fast the ridge breaks down. Models are often a bit too quick so we'll see.

Haven't been to Chad's blog in a while, but you're probably right.

Yeah, he's been pushing the death ridge idea with 100s for LAF since they first showed up on the Euro 7-10 days ago for this weekend.

FWIW, I ran into one his interns at Purdue on Thursday, and he told me that Chad expected 100s at the end of next week.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just doing some raw math, 850mb is roughly 1500m ASL on average. So if you take a parcel down dry adiabatically (well-mixed atmosphere) from 30C at 850mb, you get about 44C at the sfc, or approximately 112F. Adjusting for elevation and any other hindrance to max possible heating, 20C probably equates to 108-110F if it verifies.

Makes you wonder if this heat may be a sign of things to come this summer, especially if the drought continues. Several years with intense June hot spells followed up with additional heat discharges that were as bad or even worse.

Long range would tend to agree with this and if we get rid of the -NAO a large portion of the East/Midwest would be roasted.

Makes you wonder if this heat may be a sign of things to come this summer, especially if the drought continues. Several years with intense June hot spells followed up with additional heat discharges that were as bad or even worse.

For '88 as an extreme drought case in Chicago, it had the warmest avg high temperatures on record, but only ranked 10th for warmest overall because average lows rank ~70th. Shows what happens when the climate basically becomes arid. We've seen this this month, most so at Rockford, as temperatures there so far are "only" 3 degrees above normal through the 23rd, because low temperatures have only been 0.8 degrees above the June normal.

Seems to be increasing disagreement between models for Thur/Fri heat potential for some areas.

It will be interesting to see if the ECMWF stays consistent, with the NAM/GFS showing a faster frontal passage.

Indeed. There would be some question marks farther north.

00z runs also came west with Debby...

The ECMWF still has 28C at 850mb into N. IL by Thurs.

It also has a pocket of 110F+ 2M temps around PAH on Fri.

End of the run has another heat dome of epic proportions.

The OV is going to be burned to a crisp if this keeps up. Maybe the terrible drought talk isn't so far fetched. :(

End of the run has another heat dome of epic proportions.

The OV is going to be burned to a crisp if this keeps up. Maybe the terrible drought talk isn't so far fetched. :(

That was quite a run...

8 consecutive days of 100+ at STL, and at least 7 consecutive at PAH and IND.

ORD ends up with 8 consecutive 90+ days and at least 2 100+ days.

I'm getting that vibe. Might be time to punt on 1988 and start looking at 1934, or...1936. :yikes:

Long range would tend to agree with this and if we get rid of the -NAO a large portion of the East/Midwest would be roasted.

Not sure why -NAO is focused on so much in summer. The correlation doesn't work like it does in winter, not that that's full proof either. Last summer had a JJA average of -1.1 and 2010, which was warmer, had a -0.8 average. Going back further, 1995 was -2.1. So yeah.

Point and click for EVV. Yeesh.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 105. Calm wind becoming west southwest between 4 and 7 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 72. Calm wind.

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 105. Calm wind becoming west southwest between 5 and 8 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 73. Light west southwest wind.

Saturday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 74. Calm wind.

Sunday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph.

Point and click for EVV. Yeesh.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 105. Calm wind becoming west southwest between 4 and 7 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 72. Calm wind.

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 105. Calm wind becoming west southwest between 5 and 8 mph.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 73. Light west southwest wind.

Saturday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph.

Saturday Night: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 74. Calm wind.

Sunday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 98. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph.

Just nasty! Not much else you could use to describe that.

Wonder if the models will throttle up the dews and mixing as we head forward here. What the euro showed 36-48 hrs ago was intense. Would love to see that verify. I've gotta dig around here to find the earliest 100 reading for DTW. I'm unsure if it's happened prior to July 1st.

Sorry guys. I am taking time off work for yard work and even rented equipment. I was sure that would bring constant rain and an end to the drought. I didn't know it would cause extreme heat. :(

Well you did score some rain for yourself.. It was the sharing part that you seemed to have a problem with.. ;)

Expanding on the 100º maximum temperatures in June at the four long term sites in Indiana. As it's forecasted, EVV's twin predicted 105º temperatures would be their hottest on record in June. Probably a decent chance for IND to beat 102º as well.

Wonder if the models will throttle up the dews and mixing as we head forward here. What the euro showed 36-48 hrs ago was intense. Would love to see that verify. I've gotta dig around here to find the earliest 100 reading for DTW. I'm unsure if it's happened prior to July 1st.

Detroit (1874 to present)

June 8, 1933: 100º

June 25, 1988: 104º

June 26, 1952: 100º

June 28, 1934: 104º

Archived