joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thursday starting to come into NAM range.  2m maps have a large area of 105+ and a small area of 110 in central IL.  "Only" around 100F for LAF but with very moist low levels (mid 70's dewpoints) which don't seem terribly likely.

Looking at a forecast sounding for UIN, it shows 850 mb temps in excess of 28C with mixing to and even above that level, so the upper 100/near 110 output on the 2m map would not be all that unrealistic should the forecast sounding pan out.

I'm getting that vibe. Might be time to punt on 1988 and start looking at 1934, or...1936. :yikes:

Not sure why -NAO is focused on so much in summer. The correlation doesn't work like it does in winter, not that that's full proof either. Last summer had a JJA average of -1.1 and 2010, which was warmer, had a -0.8 average. Going back further, 1995 was -2.1. So yeah.

I am more so hitting upon my area, and it is more so a point of it being hotter than it has been. Not saying it can't be above average with a -NAO, it is just easier with a +NAO.

NAM has Evansville in the upper 100's on Thursday. I don't think there has been an ASOS reading of 106 in Indiana since FWA's in 1988. Even going a little more conservative would suggest it could be challenged.

Euro was also hinting at it extending into Friday for Southern IL/IN and Northern/Western KY.

Watching Skilling's midday forecast, I find it rather interesting that he seems to be putting a lot of faith into the recent GFS progs for Thursday into Friday. In particular, he referenced the 2" PWAT values put out by the 12z GFS for Thursday a few times. Personally, I can't quite see how that will verify. I'll have to wait and see what he says in his seven-day forecast, but he has so far said "near 100" on Thursday, somewhat conservative relative to others.

Edit: Skilling says in his seven-day: Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday: 93/98/93.

GFS still leaning cooler especially north. Seems like most offices are leaning against it if not outright tossing it.

It has the main thermal ridge/axis much farther south into the STL/EVV area, compared to the ECMWF which has it up in the DVN/ORD area.

It has the main thermal ridge/axis much farther south into the STL/EVV area, compared to the ECMWF which has it up in the DVN/ORD area.

It sorta doesn't make sense for the ridge to get flattened so quickly. Stranger things have happened I guess.

Watching Skilling's midday forecast, I find it rather interesting that he seems to be putting a lot of faith into the recent GFS progs for Thursday into Friday. In particular, he referenced the 2" PWAT values put out by the 12z GFS for Thursday a few times. Personally, I can't quite see how that will verify. I'll have to wait and see what he says in his seven-day forecast, but he has so far said "near 100" on Thursday, somewhat conservative relative to others.

He goes with for 93/98/93 Wed-Fri.

for whoever didn't read LOT's AFD

MOST OF THE MODEL GUIDANCE...AGAIN WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE

GFS...IS INDICATING THE POTENTIAL FOR EVEN HIGHER TEMPERATURES ON

THURSDAY AS A SWATH OF 28-29C 850MB TEMPS COVERS NORTHERN ILLINOIS

AND NORTHWESTERN INDIANA. AGAIN...UNDER FULL SUNSHINE AND WITH DEEP

LAYER MIXING...TEMPERATURES SHOULD REACH OR EXCEED 100F OVER THE

AREA...AND IF THAT 29C AIR AT 850MB COULD FULLY MIX DOWN TO THE

SURFACE...TEMPS COULD ACTUALLY REACH OR EXCEED 105-107 OVER MUCH OF

THE CWA. NOT QUITE READY TO GO THAT FAR IN THE MORNING

FORECAST...THE VERY GOOD CONSISTENCY OF THE ECMWF/GEM/DGEX IN

ADVERTISING THIS WARMING TREND...WITH NOT FLIP-FLOPPING IN THE

FORECAST...LEADS TO HIGHER CONFIDENCE IN LEANING CLOSER TO THE

WARMER END OF MODEL SOLUTIONS RATHER THAN THE COOLER GFS. SO...WILL

CARRY HIGH TEMPERATURES ON THURSDAY RANGING FROM 100F TO 103F OVER

MUCH OF THE CWA.

NAM has Evansville in the upper 100's on Thursday.  I don't think there has been an ASOS reading of 106 in Indiana since FWA's in 1988.  Even going a little more conservative would suggest it could be challenged.

Following up on this...I can't find any "official" reading above 106 in Indiana since 1936. If anybody can pull it off it would be EVV.

Following up on this...I can't find any "official" reading above 106 in Indiana since 1936. If anybody can pull it off it would be EVV.

Since 1988 you mean. FWA hit 106º on June 25, 1988. Never mind, read that wrong.

Speaking of EVV, their highest temperature ever recorded is 111º on July 28, 1930.

And if we want to get crazy, 116º is the all time Indiana record (official) in Collegeville on July 14, 1936.

Since 1988 you mean. FWA hit 106º on June 25, 1988.  

Speaking of EVV, their highest temperature ever recorded is 111º on July 28, 1930.

And if we want to get crazy, 116º is the all time Indiana record (official) in Collegeville on July 14, 1936.

No, above. I guess I should've worded it better...like 107 or higher.

DTX raises highs in the 96-99 range for thurs, mentioning a few spots may hit 100. Lower 90s Fri, around 90 sat, upper 80s sun, with GRR mentioning increasing temps early next week as ridge rebuilds. Also, DTX mentioned drought conditions will worsen, with little convection expected during frontal passage due to limited GOM moisture.

FWIW, Euro showing upper 90s on sat for SE MI and points south.

Archived