• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

Just a quick analysis of 850 mb temps now that the 00z observed data is in...it appears they are pretty much in line with model predictions for this time. It will be especially useful to check models vs reality tomorrow as this scorching airmass gets closer to see if there is any sign of being overdone.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would give the GFS some credit for nailing the quicker frontal passage timing Thursday over the Euro, but I think that has a lot to do with Debby. If Debby would have moved further north the Euro solution probably would have won out. With Debby staying so far southeast it didn't block the thermal ridge as much, so the end result is a much quicker frontal passage. The end result for MLI will probably be a 96-100 instead of a 101-105 if the earlier Euro versions would have verified. Maybe our timing will be better with the next heat wave when it surges back northeast again next week.

Kinda funny that the first day of the heat wave (today) is expected to be the hottest. We're down to a cool 71 °F to start the day, expected to reach around 61 °F before sunrise. Can't believe we are expected to hit 97 °F for a high, or even 100+ if some of these projections are realistic.

Would be a good day to test my theory that you can make an MCS develop by detonating a nuke in the capping inversion, 4000-5000 J/kg of CAPE projected over a large swath of the Great Plains and Midwest.

The 00z Euro is ridiculous. It has potentially 9 days in a row of 100+ here (a couple borderline days). Obviously rain or whatever could interrupt things but dang.

10 consecutive(the whole run) 100+ days at STL.

10 consecutive 90+ days for ORD, with 5 100+ days...including 105+ on the 4th of July.

...and it would continue beyond the end of the run...

Easily the warmest run of a model that I can remember.

10 consecutive(the whole run) 100+ days at STL.

10 consecutive 90+ days for ORD, with 5 100+ days...including 105+ on the 4th of July.

...and it would continue beyond the end of the run...

Easily the warmest run of a model that I can remember.

anyone know the record for number of consecutive 90+ days at ORD?

Archived