joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late June/Early July Extreme Heat Episode

Hoosier

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a little OT but just how reliable are temp readings from the '30s...are we talking about some inflated Cromartie style stuff here or are they more or less as good as what we get now?

I believe they're legit from where they were measured...key word being where. Take for instance Indy's official site for most of the 1930's. The thermometer was 194 feet above ground (and measured downtown) versus roughly (not exactly sure) 5 feet of present day.

I believe they're legit from where they were measured...key word being where. Take for instance Indy's official site for most of the 1930's. The thermometer was 194 feet above ground (and measured downtown) versus roughly (not exactly sure) 5 feet of present day.

Thanks

This looks really suspicious...going to toss the 12z GFS

post-163-0-64523300-1340727777_thumb.jpg

a little OT but just how reliable are temp readings from the '30s...are we talking about some inflated Cromartie style stuff here or are they more or less as good as what we get now?

As good as we get now. The 1930s heatwaves were fascinating and there are tons of documentation/stories on them. Michigans hottest temp was from July 1936 in Mio (northern lower) of 111F.

Detroit has hit 100F+ just 34 times since records began in 1871, and 14 of those occurred in the 1930s.

First call for LAF, no doubt subject to revision given out period and potential rarity of event

Wed: 90

Thu: 103

Fri: 100

new call

Wed: 91

Thu: 106

A little concerned with the very warm air aloft that tomorrow could end up a bit warmer than I have, but models insist on relatively shallow mixing to around 900 mb. Left Friday alone for now but a bit lower confidence depending on clouds/timing of front.

new call

Wed: 91

Thu: 106

A little concerned with the very warm air aloft that tomorrow could end up a bit warmer than I have, but models insist on relatively shallow mixing to around 900 mb. Left Friday alone for now but a bit lower confidence depending on clouds/timing of front.

:weenie:

I'll ride my original calls for Wed and Thu, but bump Friday.

Wed: 92

Thu: 102

:weenie:

I'll ride my original calls for Wed and Thu, but bump Friday.

Wed: 92

Thu: 102

I was tempted to go a degree or two higher believe it or not. The 12z NAM is a little better with mixing (around 850 mb), and let's just cease all discussion of the GFS at this point. Confidence is bolstered by model consistency in extreme event (sans GFS), ongoing drought and airmass performance out west where numerous records have been tied/broken. I hate heat as much as the next guy but I'm looking forward to Thursday.

I was tempted to go a degree or two higher believe it or not. The 12z NAM is a little better with mixing (around 850 mb), and let's just cease all discussion of the GFS at this point. Confidence is bolstered by model consistency in extreme event (sans GFS), ongoing drought and airmass performance out west where numerous records have been tied/broken. I hate heat as much as the next guy but I'm looking forward to Thursday.

Swing for the fences my friend. What's your updated call on EVV? Might as well make it public.

Archived