Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Preference

Ginx snewx

HHH or Warm and dry  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer HAZY HOT HUMID or WARM with low Dewpoints for your summer activities?

• HHH
    • Warm And Dry

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What entices you about HHH weather?  Cleans the pores?  I really can't see any significance in that kind of weather, although it does intensify my work-outs.   If I know I'm going to be sweating my azz off, I might as well go big or go home.

Dryness cracks the feet when you are 55+. So you get irritations. One of the downsides to winter also as indoor heating does a number on your hands and feet.

What entices you about HHH weather?  Cleans the pores?  I really can't see any significance in that kind of weather, although it does intensify my work-outs.   If I know I'm going to be sweating my azz off, I might as well go big or go home.

I'm a cool weather person so given the choices I had gone with dry and warm.  No HHH for me.

I think humidity just makes it appear that you're working harder when actually it's just easier to sweat/heat up your core temperature.  If it's cold and you can work up the same intensity, then you're really burning calories!

Dryness cracks the feet when you are 55+. So you get irritations. One of the downsides to winter also as indoor heating does a number on your hands and feet.

Age has brought me many "interesting" phenomena, but that's not one of them, not to the point of irritation anyway.  In the colder months my hands develop painful cracks in the skin near the corners of fingernails, generally limited to thumbs, indexes, middles.  The cracks open and heal, then a few weeks later open again, Nov into Mar.  Still love the cold wx, however.

I'm a cool weather person so given the choices I had gone with dry and warm. No HHH for me.

I think humidity just makes it appear that you're working harder when actually it's just easier to sweat/heat up your core temperature. If it's cold and you can work up the same intensity, then you're really burning calories!

My heart rate, measured via heart rate monitor, is always higher when workin out in high dews.

My heart rate, measured via heart rate monitor, is always higher when workin out in high dews.

Humidity reduces the effectiveness of sweating, resulting in an increase in body temperature, and thus an increase in heart rate.

(the body cools itself by sweating, and sweat has trouble evaporating when it's really humid.)

It would probably be closer than this poll question though lol

Well if we did it on this site it definitely would be...and I bet even frigid would win. But general public? Probably a landslide in favor of hot vs frigid if you had to pick one.

Sweet vids Steve...makes me want to body surf. Those are some perfect waves in the second video.

We like to time the first recurving "Bertha" type TC that transits between Bermuda and the drooling east coast hurricane enthusiasts.  Get out there about a day ... day and half past the fact and you get these awesomely timed ground swell clusters.  They come into Narragansett and surrounding south-coastal beaches in sets of 3 to 5, and they can tower 7 or 8 feet over the top of the break-water depth (hips to shoulder high).    Gem green faces reeling up and curling over our backs and boogie boards, rocking the body forward in the tumult of resulting foam.   It's amazing.  One year we did this was in fact Bertha's recurve, and it will for ever live on in our groups annals as "Swim Suit Mishap Day."  The water was unusually warm, too, so disrobing was not immediately noticed by the wearer - if you get my drift.   

We've taken to purchasing surf shirts.  What a difference!   Before, you come home in the evening after a day of body surfing, and find that you had been rubbing 120-grit sand-paper on your chest and abs all day - ouch!  Also, don't need as much sun-screen with the shirts.  

Can't wait.  Just gotta get those SST up.

I love the smell of ozone in the morning...smells like victory

.AIR QUALITY ALERT IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TO 11 PM EDT FRIDAY...

THE RHODE ISLAND DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT HAS ISSUED
AN AIR QUALITY ACTION DAY FOR GROUND LEVEL OZONE...IN EFFECT FROM
11 AM TO 11 PM EDT FRIDAY.

AN AIR QUALITY ACTION DAY MEANS THAT GROUND LEVEL OZONE
CONCENTRATIONS WITHIN THE REGION MAY APPROACH OR EXCEED UNHEALTHY
STANDARDS.

We like to time the first recurving "Bertha" type TC that transits between Bermuda and the drooling east coast hurricane enthusiasts.  Get out there about a day ... day and half past the fact and you get these awesomely timed ground swell clusters.  They come into Narragansett and surrounding south-coastal beaches in sets of 3 to 5, and they can tower 7 or 8 feet over the top of the break-water depth (hips to shoulder high).    Gem green faces reeling up and curling over our backs and boogie boards, rocking the body forward in the tumult of resulting foam.   It's amazing.  One year we did this was in fact Bertha's recurve, and it will for ever live on in our groups annals as "Swim Suit Mishap Day."  The water was unusually warm, too, so disrobing was not immediately noticed by the wearer - if you get my drift.   

We've taken to purchasing surf shirts.  What a difference!   Before, you come home in the evening after a day of body surfing, and find that you had been rubbing 120-grit sand-paper on your chest and abs all day - ouch!  Also, don't need as much sun-screen with the shirts.  

Can't wait.  Just gotta get those SST up.

Yep soon enough, lifeguarding in Misquamicut I saw many a swim suit mishap day, of course I always swam out with a towel to assist the young ladies.

Well if we did it on this site it definitely would be...and I bet even frigid would win. But general public? Probably a landslide in favor of hot vs frigid if you had to pick one.

Oh the public likes warm more than cold, especially if you were to look at the entire U.S. or something.  Maybe it might be closer in New England and northern states where people do like snow (as much as they like to b*tch and moan about it).  But over the United States... warm would trump cold and it wouldn't even be as close as this poll on the forum.  Probably like 90:10 haha. 

That said, I think the public dislikes the extremes...the HHH weather where its 94/71 is just no fun for anyone.  Just like they don't like -20 wind chills.  If I had to guess, the general public would go with a year-round temperature of like 79/50, haha.  The public that likes snow would like to have like 28F all the time...just enough to snow but not "cold."

Oh the public likes warm more than cold, especially if you were to look at the entire U.S. or something.  Maybe it might be closer in New England and northern states where people do like snow (as much as they like to b*tch and moan about it).  But over the United States... warm would trump cold and it wouldn't even be as close as this poll on the forum.  Probably like 90:10 haha. 

That said, I think the public dislikes the extremes...the HHH weather where its 94/71 is just no fun for anyone.  Just like they don't like -20 wind chills.  If I had to guess, the general public would go with a year-round temperature of like 79/50, haha.  The public that likes snow would like to have like 28F all the time...just enough to snow but not "cold."

Yeah, I agree, it depends just how cold/hot we're talking about. 

We should do a poll on the forum though, I think it would be close...

Archived